60 LS event "Inflation of stupidity"

Alestes

18 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

I was seeing it from my point of view as a creator. I pay 10L to upload a new animation and 10L for the texture for it to be shown inworld. That is 20L per product and a far cry from 1000L+ per product.

Edit: Those who do original work and do not rely on creator tools such as animations, 3d models and textures pay a lot less per product to get in world.

What I sell is a combination of made by me and made by others.
I love to create things but I'm not a genius who is able to master everything at a high level. And I'm not a fool trying to get at a high level with everything.
I'm good enough to create relative simple meshes and textures, so I make those. I suck at plants and high detailed accessories so I use products from a few very good full perm sellers for those.

If I would build furniture, I would buy the required animations.
Most creators do.

When you buy a car in RL, there are parts produced by dozens of different manufacturers used in it. But you still drive in an original Ford, Mazda or Renault.

I will not use 1000 L$ on every new production, but there are some in my collection I even spend far more on.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, So Whimsy said:

... selling a product for 60L in an event gives exposure, especially if its an event featured on seraphim. You can either directly pay money to advertise your brand or you can indirectly pay by joining these events.

Selling at 60L feeds expectations, that one only has to wait out as a costumer until the right thing is offered for 60L.
I see it enough in many stores that participate. People clustering around the sales section and the rest of the store\sim is empty.
They hop in, inspect, make a purchase and are out again. See y'all next week.
I have been investigating over and over, if it was something for me to participate in or not.

A few weeks ago I was at an event for the first time with my stuff. I participated at the Shop and hop.
Did I sell more items during these weeks? Yes.
Did I make more money? No not really because of the required discounted prices.
Do I see more sales after the event? Not really either.
Did I have a lot of extra work to set up an attractive store there: Hell yes.
Will I apply again for such an event?  Maybe, but not for the money but because of the personal fun I got out of it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Do I see more sales after the event? Not really either.

I was part of the old 60L Weekends run by the owners of Treasured Cove for years. As much exposure I've had, especially being a full-perm creator, my main source of income were weekend sales. And while I am grateful for many other unexpected aspects of growing my business due to being part of that event, in terms of income back then I can not say exposure itself had a big impact on my sales during the weekdays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Selling at 60L feeds expectations, that one only has to wait out as a costumer until the right thing is offered for 60L.
I see it enough in many stores that participate. People clustering around the sales section and the rest of the store\sim is empty.

Expectations are fine to have, and I would guess most people who are familiar with weekend sales have them on the realistic side. You/I/they are not getting Deadwool quality clothing (just using it as an example of very quality stuff that never does weekend sales) on such sales.

And the, let's call it, "lesser quality" items are often already in the "never sell" category. Weekend sales, combined with some updates (still work to rig for such an update. of course, but usually not nearly as much as the new item with many sizes) are a good way to give some items that would just collect virtual dust forever a second life (pun intended). Same goes for some texture refreshes.

Then there is a whole lot of creators and merchants (those who don't do own mesh, animations, textures or anything, and just repack stuff they bought elsewhere) whose releases pretty much aimed at such weekend sales from the very start. I've posted about this years ago. There's absolutely no way something mediocre, both look and rigging wise, split to 3 or even 4 pieces sells normally for a 300/piece on a regular event, when there are better alternatives. But the weekend sales where it's "just 300 for the whole thing"? Yeah, it does sell then.

Of course there are actually a few top quality creators that join such sales every now and then, usually not very often, and then it's exactly what been mentioned before - for the exposure. But the "lag" between the event release and the weekend price release in such cases is often very very long, years sometimes. And in this case I think it's also totally valid to throw in something older so new customers might find their stores. As much as I shop, and I do shop way too much, I still find some new creators/stores through regular events and (much more rarely) weekend sales.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:27 AM, steeljane42 said:

Of course there are actually a few top quality creators that join such sales every now and then, usually not very often, and then it's exactly what been mentioned before - for the exposure. But the "lag" between the event release and the weekend price release in such cases is often very very long, years sometimes. And in this case I think it's also totally valid to throw in something older so new customers might find their stores. As much as I shop, and I do shop way too much, I still find some new creators/stores through regular events and (much more rarely) weekend sales.

I don't think it's accurate to say that few top quality creators join weekend sales. What I consider to be the Big 3 (Fifty Linden Friday, The Saturday Sale, and Happy Weekend) all have very good quality creators and they often have new items up. A lot of the smaller ones as well have good creators.  I've also seen a lot of creators use the weekend sales as a way to update for new bodies (either allowing for redelivery for people who've already purchased the items or having new textures so people aren't buying the same things) . I've been branching out with weekend sales and picking up a few things at new to  me stores

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

People will only ever pay what the item is worth to them but if I am on the fence about something I am more lilkely to decide to buy it for 60 than I am 90. There are items this weekend that I decided to not get because they were 90L. Fact is you get 5 people that buy at 60 and now only 3 will pay 90, you're not going to get as much money out of your sales.

7 minutes ago, Judy Starchild said:

People will only ever pay what the item is worth to them but if I am on the fence about something I am more lilkely to decide to buy it for 60 than I am 90. There are items this weekend that I decided to not get because they were 90L. Fact is you get 5 people that buy at 60 and now only 3 will pay 90, you're not going to get as much money out of your sales.

And the same story can be told about 30 L$ and 60 L$.
And so on. Down to 1 and 5 L$.

It is only interesting for a merchant if they think it is worth all the efforts:
Making the product is a lot of work and time consuming, creating the pictures for it is a lot of work and time consuming, entering an event is a lot of money (sometimes), set up the vendor accordingly takes time. Paying tier for the shop is a nice chunk of cash every month.
And 60 L$ is an awful low amount of money to get in return for all that time, work and money invested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

And the same story can be told about 30 L$ and 60 L$.
And so on. Down to 1 and 5 L$.

It is only interesting for a merchant if they think it is worth all the efforts:
Making the product is a lot of work and time consuming, creating the pictures for it is a lot of work and time consuming, entering an event is a lot of money (sometimes), set up the vendor accordingly takes time. Paying tier for the shop is a nice chunk of cash every month.
And 60 L$ is an awful low amount of money to get in return for all that time, work and money invested.

I don't think the average player of SL realizes store keepers pay big money to get into events.  

• Like 4