60 LS event "Inflation of stupidity"

Alestes

As an expert in IRL commerce, one thing really appeals to me and I share with you an amused reflection on the subject.

It has not escaped anyone's attention the sudden change in policy of the most popular -non Event- in SL I called the "60 lindens"

Expected by many as the one and only moment where they will be able to customize their avatar at a lower cost. And whoa what do I see?

Change of logo with a nice 60-90 displayed in large...
Not seen not caught. I'm confusing you.

An increase of up to 50% of the usual price!!! With obviously the choice for the seller to apply the price he wants (there must be some serious disagreements within the participants of the Event or worse the organizers have decided on their own to pass the pill smoothly?

In short, this will have catastrophic consequences in the very short term and it is totally illogical. Or is there someone within the council of 60 lindens who wants to torpedo it from within for the benefit of another Event? Let's throw a huge stone in the water.

Message to other Event creators. I think it's time to win back some customers by saying that you won't change your pricing policy.

50% is not an increase, it's just racketeering...
But the funniest part of the story will be seeing the reactions of the stunned penniless customers.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

24 minutes ago, Alestes said:

As an expert in IRL commerce, one thing really appeals to me and I share with you an amused reflection on the subject.

It has not escaped anyone's attention the sudden change in policy of the most popular -non Event- in SL I called the "60 lindens"

Expected by many as the one and only moment where they will be able to customize their avatar at a lower cost. And whoa what do I see?

An increase of up to 50% of the usual price!!! With obviously the choice for the seller to apply the price he wants (there must be some serious disagreements within the participants of the Event or worse the organizers have decided on their own to pass the pill smoothly?

In short, this will have catastrophic consequences in the very short term and it is totally illogical. Or is there someone within the council of 60 lindens who wants to torpedo it from within for the benefit of another Event? Let's throw a huge stone in the water.

Message to other Event creators. I think it's time to win back some customers by saying that you won't change your pricing policy.

But the funniest part of the story will be seeing the reactions of the stunned penniless customers.

This seems like entitlement mentality, be glad you're still getting it cheap.

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alestes said:

It's basically the same thing the Saturday Sale already did, and they don't seem to be in distress. They went from L$75 to L$75 - L$100 months ago. I would have thought someone of your expertise would have caught that.

• Like 11

IMHO it is up to the merchants to decide how much discount they want to give on their products. There is nothing written in stone about that.
And it is up to the consumers to decide whether or not they buy something or not.

• Like 13

I do hope you realize creators are not making items out of thin air, right? 60 - 90L is actually 0.22 - 0.34 USA$ minus 5% of Tilia fee on withdrawal, and for every item creation cost are 1000L$ or more. What they earn, has to cover land cost, upload cost, programs, subscriptions, investments in scripts, textures, animations, and their own time to create something competitive with high quality, fresh, new and "exciting", not to mention time already invested in the many skills they have. Keep in mind that some of those people are working 15 hours a day sometimes to meet the deadline. Even as a hobby, the merchant role in SL is equal to RL business. Without creative and hardworking people like them, we would still play with SL prims on SL 21st birthday.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

...... we would still play with SL prims on SL 21st birthday.

If only LL had improved the prim set and inworld tools over the years.  ;)

• Haha 2

Goodness! I can only imagine the RL hardships these customers must face, if they cannot afford L$60.

If I were that destitute, I'd probably just look at "free" stuff rather than complain. But that's just me!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First of all, thank you for taking five minutes of your time. And thank you also for some of you understanding what the term “expert” means. Objectively I notice that most events on SL quickly go around in circles apart from those which monopolize the best talents and which are their real showcase. From then on, the existence of non-events intended for hard-discount should no longer have - logically - this type of creator who demands both visibility and money. This distorts the very initial idea. I am certain that there will follow a general disorganization due to this trend. Beginners will lose an opportunity, customers will lose confidence in these micro events. And in the end there will be no progress and no winner.

As for events. 80% of them are not profitable for creators. As for the 60 LS they will become - that's certain - an ordinary event like the half dozen others of the same concept.

• Thanks 1

RohanaRaven Zerbino said "I do hope you realize creators are not making items out of thin air, right? 60 - 90L is actually 0.22 - 0.34 USA$ minus 5% of Tilia fee on withdrawal, and for every item creation cost are 1000L$ or more. What they earn, has to cover land cost, upload cost, programs, subscriptions, investments in scripts, textures, animations, and their own time to create something competitive with high quality, fresh, new and "exciting", not to mention time already invested in the many skills they have. Keep in mind that some of those people are working 15 hours a day sometimes to meet the deadline. Even as a hobby, the merchant role in SL is equal to RL business. Without creative and hardworking people like them, we would still play with SL prims on SL 21st birthday."

Thank you for this definiton of a "creator".   

Seriously ?

Edited by Alestes

21 hours ago, Alestes said:

As for the 60 LS they will become - that's certain - an ordinary event like the half dozen others of the same concept

They have ALWAYS been an "ordinary" weekend sale event like the others "of the same concept", the 50-75 L$ Saturday event that's now 50-100 L$, the 50 L$ event that happens every Friday, the event where you pay 77L$, they are ALL "ordinary events" of the "same concept".

On 2/2/2024 at 9:46 PM, Alestes said:

As an expert in IRL commerce

Your claimed expertise means exactly nothing with regard to SL commerce. Assuming it would is a common mistake.

the most popular -non Event- in SL

Questionable.

Expected by many as the one and only moment where they will be able to customize their avatar at a lower cost.

Hahahaha, no, there are a whole bunch of weekly discount sales, some are even cheaper than the one you're ranting about.

If they are "penniless, then they are not customers. QED, that's "Commerce 101", as any "expert in commerce" should know, people with NO money don't buy things.

22 hours ago, Alestes said:

As for events. 80% of them are not profitable for creators

And you know this how exactly? I doubt all the creators in events told you so.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alestes said:

And thank you also for some of you understanding what the term “expert” means.

Hey, some are Lions, some play DJs, other hosts or fortune tellers. Some are angels, others gnomes. When I was setting up shop at the Shop & Hop I saw someone being a centaur and obviously a merchant too. So you go around as an expert?  Kudos for you. I once had an alt who was a tiny, a lion and a king at the same time, cool or what?

If I think I ever need an expert to ruin my hobby with all kind of RL management rules and principles, I will drop you a line.
Do you have an inworld office already, with a fancy Xerox machine and all?

For now: my business, my rules, my mistakes, my triumphs, my do's and don't's, if you don't mind.
It is a hobby, I'm not interested in getting rich. Next weeks tier and some money to buy new stuff is more than enough. If I want to sell something for 60 L$ I will. If I want to sell for 660 L$ I'll do that. And maybe tomorrow the other way around.
Take a break for a few weeks, why not?

That is how my SL economy works. And it is because I want it to work that way for me. For each and every merchant in SL mileages vary. For most it is a hobby, for some roleplay, for others the goal is some beer money in RL. Some depend more or less on it as a part of their RL income. A few manage to get a RL income out of it (as the rumors go).

Getting rich in RL is not the motivation for most. Most of us merchants would make more with RL burger flipping or as a paperboy.
So it has no use comparing SL economics with the one in RL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did a search earlier, there are many, many old Forum posts going back years about 60L events. I had assumed 60L events must be "new" based on the OP.

50L Friday just celebrated 14 yrs.  Many others followed but that's one of the first ones I remember.  That merchants have been consistently using these types of sales, usually under 100L, tells me most people are fine with anything less.than full price.  A lot of black Friday sales were far less than 50% but people still enjoyed the savings.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:46 AM, Alestes said:

You must be aware then that these weekend events that have increased their prices for customers have also increased their entry fees for creators.

I agree with everyone else, 90 or 100L is still really cheap for a lot of what is on offer in the sales. If something isn't worth that price to you, don't buy it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

You posted in the French forum about the shoes available at the weekend sales.  4 different sales and in each case, you're still paying less than 1/2 the original price...

https://gyazo.com/04631c22864674a36da9fd4553b3d446

I saw the French post also, and maybe English not being the OP's first language explains why in general, this post and the replies are not easy to comprehend.

• Thanks 1