What do you think "LL will 'never' Change or Fix"?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

No, they are physical and temp objects.

A Private Region II worked on, one of the other builders, rezzed an "octopus" on the sea bed that spat out physical lighter-than-air bubble prims, with a scripted object kill.

Problem was, it was really old, and changes in LSL had caused the scripted bubble-kill to fail. They put this thing out on a Sunday, by Tuesday, the region was laggy as hell, and close to crashing, so I popped over, and checked the stats, and found there were nearly 2300 of the damn bubbles, in a mass, up at 4km altitude, all colliding with each other as each new arrival jostled the pack.

So I had to return almost 2300 objects, specifically selecting all the damn things, as I couldn't just return all that persons stuff, as that was HALF the regions build.

Physical temp rez prim snowflakes... The mere idea makes me shudder in horror.

• Haha 2

On 10/25/2023 at 6:26 AM, animats said:

Hm. I wonder if particles could be made to stop at reflection probe objects. Those sort of indicate "outside world ends here". Something to think about after full PBR deployment.

I'm no scripting expert, however, couldn't a person just use a particle mask rule to make it so that the particle dies on impact with the specified object? So, if the object is called roof the particle dies or alternatively using raycast to find objects and kill the particle on impact (this is how many games do it).

If there isn't a LSL command to do this I am surprised. I can remember somewhere seeing a particle dead_mask when I was playing around with particles and scripting many years ago but dont know if that would be the same.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

And you can pay tier with lindens, without selling them on LindeX.

Definitely don't need to cash out, but to pay tier I thought we still need to convert to US$ in the account… and if we don't do that on the LindeX, I wonder how the exchange rate is set.

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On a simpler note, why wouldn't particles just stop when colliding with anything that isn't "phantom"?

Particles stop when colliding with ground or avatars currently, correct?

Well, you can make them bounce off the Z plane of the emitter, which might be the ground, or they can stop at a target point, which might be the center of an avatar, but that's about it.

Particles are pretty dumb because they're purely viewer-side. If they're supposed to stop at a physics envelope, the viewer needs to know and perform operations with that physics shape. I know nothing about viewer internals but I'm guessing it's not great at physics. I also know nothing about reflection probes (and I'm not enjoying the latest PBR viewer), but presumably the viewer must be pretty efficient at constraining operations to reflection probe extents.

• Like 1

I have given up on them fixing the bug they introduced when they went to the cloud that breaks a lot of vehicles where after a region crossing the vehicle stops because it thinks you aren't there. There are avsit script fixes for mod vehicles using avsit, but it has still left a lot of vehicles I would like to use like my Looneta and Nacra unusable.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Definitely don't need to cash out, but to pay tier I thought we still need to convert to US$ in the account… and if we don't do that on the LindeX, I wonder how the exchange rate is set.

Well, you can make them bounce off the Z plane of the emitter, which might be the ground, or they can stop at a target point, which might be the center of an avatar, but that's about it.

Particles are pretty dumb because they're purely viewer-side. If they're supposed to stop at a physics envelope, the viewer needs to know and perform operations with that physics shape. I know nothing about viewer internals but I'm guessing it's not great at physics. I also know nothing about reflection probes (and I'm not enjoying the latest PBR viewer), but presumably the viewer must be pretty efficient at constraining operations to reflection probe extents.

Ahah! All this time, particles could be continuing underground and we can't see them to know!

• Like 1

LL will never remove flagged Marketplace Demo listings that are not associated with a full listing.

Nor will LL fix the Boolean in Marketplace Search and I'll be forever unable to eliminate listings  by putting "NOT DEMO" (and DEM0 and all other versions to avoid people actually not having to look at these abominations) in SEARCH.

Nor will LL make demos a subcategory of a listing, so demos don't clutter the Marketplace.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

LL will never remove flagged Marketplace Demo listings that are not associated with a full listing.

Nor will LL fix the Boolean in Marketplace Search and I'll be forever unable to eliminate listings  by putting "NOT DEMO" (and DEM0 and all other versions to avoid people actually not having to look at these abominations) in SEARCH.

Nor will LL make demos a subcategory of a listing, so demos don't clutter the Marketplace.

Sounds like an awful lot of work. I think you're right. They won't fix it any time soon.

• Sad 1

Pet Peeve:  some people in my Yoga community call themselves 'yogis' (which means you strive to love all, and have no enemies)...yet they enjoy insulting others and generally going after them!

Guess LL will never do anything about it!

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Pet Peeve:  some people in my Yoga community call themselves 'yogis' (which means you strive to love all, and have no enemies)...yet they enjoy insulting others and generally going after them!

There is a difference between loving the person but thinking they are mostly full of 💩

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There is a difference between loving the person but thinking they are mostly full of 💩

Well, you can think they are full of it but not believe it's okay to go after them, due to not believing in 'war'.

Of course we'd need to define 'going after someone' clearly.

In any case, LL will never fix this.  I do understand why they mostly can't though.

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, you can think they are full of it but not believe it's okay to go after them, due to not believing in 'war'.

In any case, LL will never fix this.  I do understand why they mostly can't though.

Well like metals, a man is hardened by heating and quenching and then sharpened by a stone through friction.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well like metals, a man is hardened by heating and quenching and then sharpened by a stone through friction.

People do grow by 'bumping heads' sometimes, but when it escalates in to war it's nothing but destruction -- only the desire to squash the enemy is present -- nothing about learning and growing in a war scenario.

6 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

You are so right.

I think all of us hate seeing a dress/shape/skin/object listed 24 times + one listing for the fatpack version on a page because someone managing the MP design still has not figured out how to do what ...

every other online retailer has done for the past decade.

🤬

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Likes or laughs or sad reacts!

Yeah!

Doesn't matter which there are people I just dont want to ever interact with because they are awful individuals. I dont want them doing any interaction with me even a smiley

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KanryDrago said:

Doesn't matter which there are people I just dont want to ever interact with because they are awful individuals. I dont want them doing any interaction with me even a smiley

I had a second thought: I care less that they react, I just don't want to KNOW they reacted.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I had a second thought: I care less that they react, I just don't want to KNOW they reacted.

Precisely what I meant, now there are people on the forum I have certainly bumped heads with lots. Scylla Rhiadra for one....we still get on in our fashion and can have a civil conversation with and I view her as someone I could call friend. There are however people here I really don't want ever to interact with....well one at least in case it sound like lots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.