Considered Spam?

Tara Innis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Tara Innis said:

Would you consider it spam if a person's AUTORESPONDER includes a link to their sim?

No - you have to communicate to them first for the autoresponder to message you back.  You started the conversation and are simply getting a reply.  As long as the reply doesn't send you a bunch of junk or keep replying long after the first reply, then all is fine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

As spam is typically understood to be unsolicited stuff sent in bulk, I would say no.

You'll find people who consider any unsolicited contact to be spam. It doesn't have to be bulk. I'm not one of them though. In the OP's case, a response is actually wanted, so it's not spam in anyone's eyes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tara Innis said:

Would you consider it spam if a person's AUTORESPONDER includes a link to their sim?

Nope.

How could that be spam? the only way to trigger it would be for you to do so. The content of the autorespond message is irrelevant, spam would imply you have received an unsolicited message.

• Like 1

That is what I thought. I have been using this method for years. If you message me and you are not on my friends list, you get a single line that Invites you to enjoy my sim and has a link. I feel that the person contacting me as a non-friend is initiating the conversation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:
20 hours ago, Tara Innis said:

Someone accused me of being a spammer once, because I had a link to my sim in my profile. So, whereas I would not consider such stuff spam, other people might.

I would have told them to cry me a river.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tara Innis said:

If you message me and you are not on my friends list, you get a single line that Invites you to enjoy my sim and has a link. I feel that the person contacting me as a non-friend is initiating the conversation.

If all non-friends get from you, regardless of why they contacted you, is essentially an ad for your sim, I could see why it's spam to some people. If you're a creator, merchant, landlord (anything that might require contact) like that and your customers cannot contact you without getting the ad, it's going to be seen as spam and likely some will find it annoying or obnoxious. They might even decide whatever business they had with you is pointless now. If people are just contacting you out of the blue, or just casual conversation and they get your ad, it probably won't be seen as spam, even if they find it annoying or obnoxious.

I don't think I'd be bothered at all really, unless there was a serious issue I was trying to contact you about. Then I might be peeved that your response is basically a "please hold" message, and I find those annoying, lmao. Then again, I don't randomly message people just for chit chat.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tara Innis said:

That is what I thought. I have been using this method for years. If you message me and you are not on my friends list, you get a single line that Invites you to enjoy my sim and has a link. I feel that the person contacting me as a non-friend is initiating the conversation.

if your response is a promotion to your place, it is spam. The one contacting you wants YOU to answer not a advertising message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There might be a simpler question than whether some message could be considered "spam", and that's whether that message will have the intended effect. Not to get all Marshall McLuhan here, but a big part of how a message is perceived is how it's delivered. However wonderful the content, the recipient sees it through a lens of "why are you telling me this, now, in this way? and what does that tell me about you?"

Anyone encountering my autoresponse must have been one click away from my profile, a place where self-promotion is practically de rigueur. Heck, they could well have that profile already open on their screen while messaging me. If they wanted the kind of stuff they'd expect from my profile, they'd have it already, and hitting them with it in an autoresponse seems to send a very particular message that wouldn't be anything I'd intend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if your response is a promotion to your place, it is spam. The one contacting you wants YOU to answer not a advertising message.

The advertising message isn't an alternative to the "YOU". With or without the link, the IMer isn't going to get an immediate response from the person at that time. S/he is going to get an automated message from the person they IMed. So an ad in the automated message cannot be considered as spam, except by the people who consider that anything is spam if they don't specifically request it. It's an extreme view, and I wouldn't give any consideration to it concerning a 'not available' message followed by a link or a small ad in an auto-response message.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You phone the local pub's telephone number at 4 am in the morning...

"Hi, the 'Duck & Run' Public House is closed right now and all our staff are at home in bed, why not call back during opening hours, 11 am to 11 pm, or better yet, visit and enjoy a refreshing drink and our excellent pub food. If you must leave a message, speak after the beep. *beeeeeeeep*"

According to your messed up thinking, because the pub doesn't have a customer service slave available to listen to your over-entitled rant, 24/7/52, the answer phone message is "spam".

/me rolls her eyes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You phone the local pub's telephone number at 4 am in the morning...

"Hi, the 'Duck & Run' Public House is closed right now and all our staff are at home in bed, why not call back during opening hours, 11 am to 11 pm, or better yet, visit and enjoy a refreshing drink and our excellent pub food. If you must leave a message, speak after the beep. *beeeeeeeep*"

but i IM a resident, not a pub or other business.

No, I must have been messaging them first, and if they happen to have that in their autoresponder, or some smart philosophist's quote, or whatever, is their business, not mine. I'd say that it's best to not have potentially age-inappropriate or overly potentially offensive stuff in one's autoresponder, but else, whatever, who cares.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but i IM a resident, not a pub or other business.

*click*

None of our operators are currently available to correct your obvious mistakes LIVE.

You IM a business running resident who is NOT available at that time, you get their "Business Answerphone" message.

NOT spam, just over-entitled whining by people who THINK they can demand that they ALWAYS get a personal reply 24/7/52.

This was a recorded message, thank you for listening. Have a nice Consistently-Being-Wrong day!

*beeeeeeeeep*

• Like 2

No. Not spam. Auto-responders are there for a reason. You initiated unsolicited contact with me, deal with the consequences.

I rarely turn mine on. If I'm AFK for more than a few minutes I do have a polite one for that, and I do have another I can turn on for non-friends when at dance places asking guys who have reached out to to me that I suggest that they read my profile before continuing a conversation.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.