Would you share all the details of you avatar?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, LiliyaWright said:

Someone who was living next door to me in a family rp community asked me for details about my avatar, and she ended up becoming a literal clone of me which was a very surreal and rather creepy experience for myself and my friends/family members at the time.

7 hours ago, PixelBerry said:

I see my avatars as different versions of me, being a attractive version of me or less, scary, wacky or whatever else it will be, I don't see them as different characters with different names but as myself, I'm after all controlling it, deciding on what it does and do not do and what it wears and what it looks like, from what I find pleasant.

I totally agree. It's satisfying to create one's own life rather than fostering vicarious mini-me's. My sister uses the word pablum, it means bland or insipid intellectual fare or entertainment, it tastes like stale oatmeal. I'm in the clothing yes, shape nope camp.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:49 AM, Janet Voxel said:

It’s happened a few times. I have no problem telling where I got things. I’ll tell you where it gets weird: when they start asking for your shape or to take them to every store you just listed. Not landmarks….take them and show them.

Every…..single….item

No doubt the step following this is "I can't afford that... can you give me L$250 so I can buy it?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Would you give some random avatar all the details of your avatar? What body, head, skin, hair, eyes, clothes? Or would you keep it a secret so you don't have a complete clone of yourself running around SL? 

I'd directly tell them anything they could scan, then point them toward scanner huds so they could grab the information themselves in the future.  Regarding skin, makeup, tattoo layers, shape, and eyes, I'd give them the names of the creators I use.  Not specific items, however; these are the things that can really individualize an avatar even for people wearing the same head and body, so folks are better off making their own choices rather than trying to clone someone else.  My shape is my own work; not handing it out, not selling it.  One Ajay on the Grid is sufficient. But I will give slider number suggestions if asked, as well as the MP link to the proportion tool I like to use.

• Like 2

I like to share and I'm happy to help so I usually tell everyone everything I wear if they wanna know, why not? I'm not really a standard Avatar, not human or  furry, I'm a Na'vi and this is a rare thing 😁

The shape on the other hand is my own and I won't give the numbers to anyone.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, LiliyaWright said:

Someone who was living next door to me in a family rp community asked me for details about my avatar, and she ended up becoming a literal clone of me which was a very surreal and rather creepy experience for myself and my friends/family members at the time.

I always thought I'd be creeped out by a LindalClone too, but I had one very hot little adventure with a new acquaintance in which I became a clone of HER. It was, a bit to my surprise, very exciting and a different take on the D/s relationship. It really puts your focus on the person you're "becoming". I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if the other person was attractive to me, and I'd be willing to swap around and be the "target" person.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I always thought I'd be creeped out by a LindalClone too, but I had one very hot little adventure with a new acquaintance in which I became a clone of HER. It was, a bit to my surprise, very exciting and a different take on the D/s relationship. It really puts your focus on the person you're "becoming". I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if the other person was attractive to me, and I'd be willing to swap around and be the "target" person.

Yay!!! It's Lindal!

(I'd be creeped out by this, but then I'm easily creeped out.)

• Like 5

I just realized the thread title was 'Would you share all the details of YOU avatar?' 

After reading the replies, I think I wouldn't give out my shape information too. It really has taken a long time to develop my shape but it's not difficult to come up with something good if you follow basic human body proportions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:42 AM, Bree Giffen said:

Would you give some random avatar all the details of your avatar? What body, head, skin, hair, eyes, clothes? Or would you keep it a secret so you don't have a complete clone of yourself running around SL? 

When asked about clothes, hair, eyes, body, skin etc. yes, I give the information, including LM's or MP links if I can find those. My shape, nope. I've spent years tweaking this, the one 'item' I'd like to keep for myself.

But to be honest, I've never been asked for my shape.

Not only has no one asked for my shape (very proportionally correct and realistic (slightly tall at 6') female), but I just had one guy tell me he could spot me as male because of my shape. In an adult dance place no less, surrounded by exaggerated and overly sexualized female avatars.

How do you even respond? Stay weird SL. :) 

• Confused 1

I have only been asked a couple times about the particular shape I was wearing at a point of time and had no issues sharing it when asked. Several reasons behind that are that one can copy me and still not be me and I am more than just my looks. I'm ok with having a lookalike and it is flattering that someone else likes my look enough they wish to copy it. Others have shared their shape with me in past so just paying it forward. Currently I am using a shape and head I picked up from Raire so it is easy enough to do point someone in the right direction anyway and it promotes the creator who I feel makes some very nice looks.

Ayumi%20Shape.jpg?1677525422

On 10/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Spread like a virus, and start showing up all over the grid, so nobody anywhere could escape seeing my perfect likeness everywhere they went?

This is very tempting. My alt is already my identical twin.

I'd have to draw the line at sharing my custom Hello Kitty bikini though, I'm not sure Fair Usage covers the sharing of delicates and other apparel with cat heads all over it, even in an educational or historical context.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:51 AM, Orwar said:

If anyone inquires about something that could easily be found via a scanner or inspecting, I wouldn't be opposed to answering.

Skin and shape are a little different - can't refer them to the creator of the shape as that would be myself (and I'm not selling it, it's mine!), and skin just feels a little too personal. Same with BOM clothes, if someone asks where my alt's knickers or bra are from it would be kind of creepy as that's an inferred confession of peeking up her skirt or down her blouse. 

I agree about the skin and shape. This is the only thing I feel personal and private with my avatar. I make my own shape and it is a work in progress since I started Second life. Finding the skin I really like is also not easy as getting a new hair or a pair of shoes. Most of the time I only say the brand 'cos I also have to accept the fact that what I am wearing is a ready-to-wear skin that also worn by a number avatars around the grid.

• Like 3

As regards the above post, I sorta have to agree, though I would help a person out with links to, say, my freckle layers, stuff like that. As for really copying my skin, I wish people luck. I picked the nicest one I could find, and made my own BoM layers to go over it until I got the exact tints and shades I wanted, and how I wanted them.

This is the whole reason I got into SL in the first place; being able to customize every single detail of my appearance exactly how I want. It's my same old internet paper dolls hobby, but on hyperdrive.

Building environments and structures and stuff just sort of evolved out of that, at least for me.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

I have no problem with sharing what I am wearing, including skin, BoM makeup etc except my shape because it is a shape I made by myself, but the rest is available on the market and not in limited quantities / editions so I see no reason why it should be a secret. I also doubt anyone would want to clone my look as it seems it is not a popular one so chances of meeting an exact clone of me are very little to none. And in the end it is a sort of a compliment if someone likes my look so much they want details.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.