Outfit folders?

Clarke Millar

We used to be able to do that but a while back, months maybe even years, there was an update that prevents it. Honestly, that is one thing that drives me nuts. I used to always make folders and separate out the type of outfit. Fortunately, I don't use that many outfits and quite often go in and delete all outfits and start over. But if I was one who makes 100s of outfits I'd be really unhappy with that change.

• Like 2

This bugs me more than almost anything else. If you were fortunate enough to have made a number of folders prior to this (dumb) change, you can still use them, rename them, re-org them. But you can't create new folders anymore. Why why why not? Like @Blush Bravin I organize (and name) my outfits meticulously to make them easier to find. I even break something like a larger category like Casual down into subfolders such as Favourites, Everyday, Club, etc.

I don't have a thousand outfits but many hundred over top-level categories such Casual, Formal, Costume, Workout, Swim, Lingerie, Dresses, etc so this change really was one that made me upset.

I still do no understand the "why" behind the decision, especially since the Outfit panel does not recognize subfolders and lumps everything, hundreds of outfits into one long list which is stupidly impossible to scan through.

• Like 3

The less than optimal solution I came up with is a system for naming my outfits. This way like type outfits end up grouped together. For instance, I will start the name with a description like Formal or Casual, then follow with a color, and so forth. Quite often I will work in a date in that naming protocol so when I do decide to delete stuff I have an idea if I'm deleting older outfits. 

As I said this isn't optimal. Folders would be so much better, but a least it's better than just a jumble of outfits all thrown into one folder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

The less than optimal solution I came up with is a system for naming my outfits.

I do the same... I make a long name that may reference head/body/shape, date, style, and/or key apparel. Then I use search to find things. Because I enjoy it, I also have all my stuff cataloged on my hard drive and I can easily find things visually with a thumbnail program. If I see something, such as a particular pair of shoes, I can use search to find the outfits where I wore them.

• Like 1

This drives me nuts...

Instead my 234 and counting outfits (which is a lot for someone who is almost always nude - but I gotta have one for every hairstyle and so on)...

Instead all those outfits get organized with naming conventions that I sometimes forget or mistype, and to sort them I've taken to adding various characters at the front. "! " for things I want up top, "~ " for things I want at the end.

Then I've got stuff like:

"! Hair - Straights - Brand - Specific Hair - Some tweak"
"Weapons - Type - name - stuff worn with it"
(and over time 'Weapons' have evolved to be almost any roleplay getup...)

And then it gets messy when some random things just end up in places.

• 6 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 1:55 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Not with Firestorm or the SL viewers but you can add new folders with Cool,  Black Dragon and the Catznip viewers.

I have tried using the Catznip viewer just for this and now I have those folders in Firestorm too. Thank you, Arielle! :)

21 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

*cough*

Catznip 13.2

*cough*

Fair enough. Catznip is great for working with inventory. I do OCCASIONALLY use it.While I would like folders, not so much that I would add Catznip as one of my daily use viewers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Fair enough. Catznip is great for working with inventory. I do OCCASIONALLY use it.While I would like folders, not so much that I would add Catznip as one of my daily use viewers.

It doesn't need to be used daily. Just create the top level folders you want in it: they will appear in FS, and are fully functional. In fact, you can create subfolders within those in FS: I do so all the time. It's only the top level folders you can't create in FS.

PS. I use BD for this rather than Catznip because I do use that viewer pretty frequently.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 3

Since no subfolders...  mumbles  .. Steal a version of the Dewey Decimal System.

Numbers force the Sort Order!   |   Category Number. Item Number  --> 740.110 

Steal the Numbering Trick from the Old days of C64 Basic,  When starting... leave the last number in a part as zero, so can go back and add more.        

Of course  I forget what they mean sometimes,  so the trick is brevity for the first part of a outfit name.   Leaves room for the descriptors,  makes so not have to expand the window side to side as much.  

Also it helps to separate the Descriptors with a /     

Of course still have to scroll up and down and up and down.

Shame that is not a 'jump to' button.  Down on the blank area at the bottom.  Between Number of Outfits and Complexity of current outfit.    

Peeve: When I was a cub, "folders" were pieces of thick paper that folded! And we called them "Manila folders"!

Teh Goggle says: "The manila component of the name originates from Manila hemp, named after Manila, the capital of the Philippines. This was historically the main material for manila folders, alongside the manila envelope and manila paper."

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Read somewhere the other day that over 200 outfits starts causing problems. Think I might be getting close to that

What sort of problems?

I haven't counted, but I'd bet I have well over 500 or so outfits.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What sort of problems?

Crashing and Lag, same ol, same ol. I didn't pay it much mind because when I crash it is usually a one time thing and when I lag I usually know why and it isn't that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Crashing and Lag, same ol, same ol. I didn't pay it much mind because when I crash it is usually a one time thing and when I lag I usually know why and it isn't that.

Next time I'm in, I'll check my number of outfits, but . . . I'm sure I've had over 200 outfits forever.

Basically, almost any new clothing I buy gets turned almost immediately into an outfit so that I don't simply forget that I own it.

• Like 1

I float around 750-1000 saved outfits. (I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime)

I have a folder not in outfits for "archived outfits" where I can move outfits my lesser worn stuff out of the gallery, and move them in when I want or otherwise reference).

I name my outfits with a top level "tag word" (gowns, sexy, costume, lbd, etc) then the maker - name, I then add addition tags at the end of the name (color, more tags like "steampunk, gothic, beach)

It feels hacky and I would prefer to have folders, but it's how I manage. I also take pictures of all my outfits.

Edited by Obic Malaprop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I name all my outfits...Clubbing, Dress Every Day, Dress Smart Casual, Dress Cocktail, Evening Gowns, Lingerie, Jeans, Pants, Shorts, Skirts, Swimwear... and so on.  This system works for me. I have over 200 outfits right now.  I just deleted a few, but I usually have close to 300.  I have no issues at all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What sort of problems?

That would make for a good song lyric. "I've got 500 problems, but outfit folders isn't one."

• Haha 2