Outfit folders?

Clarke Millar

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

any new clothing I buy gets turned almost immediately into an outfit so that I don't simply forget that I own it.

I do this too. And I have um...well...I dunno exactly...but well over 500 outfits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I have AN outfit!

Same. 

I used to have a "base naked" outfit for each body, but I've recently stopped using those.... for a reason.  So now I have a "what I'm wearing today" outfit for when I'm shopping and trying on demos.  it's an easy way to quickly get back to shopping when done with the demo.... :P 

As for "outfits" themselves,  I just build them up each day -- deciding each day what I want to wear, or what I want to change into for nights out or special occasions. I tried making use of the outfits system itself, at one time but it just never sparked joy in me. /shrugs.

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

Same. 

I used to have a "base naked" outfit for each body, but I've recently stopped using those.... for a reason.  So now I have a "what I'm wearing today" outfit for when I'm shopping and trying on demos.  it's an easy way to quickly get back to shopping when done with the demo.... :P 

As for "outfits" themselves,  I just build them up each day -- deciding each day what I want to wear, or what I want to change into for nights out or special occasions. I tried making use of the outfits system itself, at one time but it just never sparked joy in me. /shrugs.

Yep, that's my one outfit, what I'm wearing today which get replaced every day in case I shop or want to go to the beach or a clothing optional location.    I have a separate naked base avatar folder I just keep in my Body Parts folder.

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yep, that's my one outfit, what I'm wearing today which get replaced every day in case I shop or want to go to the beach or a clothing optional location.    I have a separate naked base avatar folder I just keep in my Body Parts folder.

I know lots of men who feel the same way. One naked and one with clothes - what more do you need?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I know lots of men who feel the same way. One naked and one with clothes - what more do you need?

They also only wear either of those so it makes sense.  I never wear the same outfit, including hair and accessories, twice so why would I need to make an outfit?  

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

One naked and one with clothes - what more do you need?

And THAT is why most content creators DON'T make much for males, and why some males constantly complain that there is so little for them to buy.

"Why would I want to go shoe shopping? I already have A pair of shoes!"

• Like 3

I just make a folder and then put those outfit folders in that folder.

With so many bodies, I have a directory for each mesh body. In that directory I put say, MAITREYA LARA X OUTFITS..

Then in that folder I put any sub-directories. Then put the outfit folders in the sub-directory that they belong in.

Outfit folders work anywhere that you put them.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

I gave up on the Outfits folder years ago when no-nesting was first implemented and started dressing via my inventory:  I made a folder called Ensembles and have my outfits sub-foldered by the ways I look for outfits--snow, dancing, steampunk, crowded texture-tastic events....  I heard it became possible to nest Outfits folders again but carried on with my new system, figuring no-nesting was apt to happen again someday.

20 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Outfit folders work anywhere that you put them.

Hmm, yeah, and I did this for a while and then stopped and I have no idea why. Maybe I just got lazy. Before I sweep all the ancient outfits in the main folder into regular folders, I just wonder if I'd be causing myself future grief somehow.

The moved-out folders seem to copy back into the Outfits folder (copy, not move, which is okay but slightly weird) in case that's something I'd want to do for some reason.

I can't imagine trying to get along without outfits. Too many dependencies among items, so when I'm dressing "from scratch" I still need to use sub-assemblies of stuff that saved together in one outfit or another. Also, without outfits, how do all the BoM layers know in what order to stack? I don't want to have to solve that puzzle again each time I'm wearing a particular combination of "tattoo" layer stuff.

• Like 1

This has partially been covered here already but what I've done is this.

I created a new folder, called it "My Outfits - in Folders" and then, with two inventory windows open, dragged all my outfits across into it from the original 'My Outfits' folder. Once in the new folder, you can create sub-folders for different categories of outfit. This works using the standard SL viewer, I just re-tested it. 

Once you've moved all your outfits to the new folder, you can delete the original 'My Outfits' one, if it hasn't already disappeared automatically.

• Like 1

Don't think I do anything different - but since I never use the Outfits window to dress, or read the effing instructions when I joined, I just use basic Copy and Paste As Link into my Outfits folder on FireStorm.

So, I make a new outfits subfolder in the Outfits folder, and rename it so I know what it is. This new subfolder is empty.  I add *  at the beginning of the name  to force it near the top so it's easy to find.  SInce I already have subfolders for Costumes, Holidays etc, i might put it in that subfolder category as a new outfit, unless it is a normal outfit (eg human)

Dress myself with the avatar and all attachments included, and go to Worn Items tab. Expand Worn Items so everything worn shows.

Highlight everything with the mouse at once and Copy.

Go to the  newly named subfolder in Outfits, and Paste As Link.   That is my new outfit.  Just Replace Current Outfit to remove old outfit and wear the new one.  Done.

I'm sure there are easier ways, but when I started SL, I saw no reason to follow some other method.  Direct copy and paste as link made sense.

I have 5303 objects and 258 folders in Outfits.  And 2901 objects in 138 folders for Holiday, Costumes and Animals.  That adds up to 396 Outfits I can quick change into.

And these are all Male outfits.   I always had more than one outfit.  Some of them go back 13 years though, for retro night.

4188b93105c8e14bcefd691eb77d16f0.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Hmm, yeah, and I did this for a while and then stopped and I have no idea why. Maybe I just got lazy. Before I sweep all the ancient outfits in the main folder into regular folders, I just wonder if I'd be causing myself future grief somehow.

The moved-out folders seem to copy back into the Outfits folder (copy, not move, which is okay but slightly weird) in case that's something I'd want to do for some reason.

I can't imagine trying to get along without outfits. Too many dependencies among items, so when I'm dressing "from scratch" I still need to use sub-assemblies of stuff that saved together in one outfit or another. Also, without outfits, how do all the BoM layers know in what order to stack? I don't want to have to solve that puzzle again each time I'm wearing a particular combination of "tattoo" layer stuff.

I haven't had mine copy themselves back into the main outfit folder.. In fact I remember when I first started to use outfit folders.. Each outfit I used to move right away into my RLV outfits folder and used the hud from a collar to get to my outfits, so that I didn't have to bother opening my inventory.. So my Default outfits folder was always empty..

Now I just have the main directories for outfits, in with the mesh body main directory  that I have for each of my mesh bodies outfits. I just drag them where I want them to go, I don't copy and paste them..

Reborn has it's main directory which has it's own outfits main directory inside it, Maitreya Lara X has it's own main directory with it's own outfits main directory inside it and so on for each mesh body that I use and have items for..

It just makes it a little quicker for me to find what I'm looking for, rather than trying to structure with symbols and gaps in the default outfits folder..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

When one wears an outfit from anything other than the system outfit folder, the title of it will be no outfit. This is at least in the SL viewer as well as Firestorm.

My titles never change on my outfits if they are moved outside of the default outfits directory.. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are meaning..

I never realized there was an outfits directory in the inventory folder tree. I just use the separate outfits toolbar button to access them. 

In my specific case, I think outfits are a good way to manage my clothing items. I don't have one avatar with a deep inventory but several with a smaller inventory. I can make outfits out of most of their  clothing and manage everything easily. 

If we ever become cyborgs that can switch bodies I'd probably have multiple bodies living in different parts of the world. 

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't had mine copy themselves back into the main outfit folder.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean they copied themselves back. I could drag and drop them from "My Outfits" into another parent folder and they'd move there, so then I was testing whether I could just drag them back from that other parent folder into the "My Outfits" folder, and instead of moving there, they copied, also leaving the copy where I'd put them in the other parent folder. It's fine, just unexpected. (This in Linden viewer 7.1.4.8149792635 )

While wearing an outfit from outside "My Outfits", if I use "Save as…" from the "My Outfits" tab of the Avatar window, it saves it into the "My Outfits" folder (which seems reasonable I guess) and "Save Changes" saves it to whichever outfit folder I wore, so that's fine too.

I too don't see where the outfit title changes but I'm also not sure I'm looking the the right place to see that.

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean they copied themselves back. I could drag and drop them from "My Outfits" into another parent folder and they'd move there, so then I was testing whether I could just drag them back from that other parent folder into the "My Outfits" folder, and instead of moving there, they copied, also leaving the copy where I'd put them in the other parent folder. It's fine, just unexpected. (This in Linden viewer 7.1.4.8149792635 )

While wearing an outfit from outside "My Outfits", if I use "Save as…" from the "My Outfits" tab of the Avatar window, it saves it into the "My Outfits" folder (which seems reasonable I guess) and "Save Changes" saves it to whichever outfit folder I wore, so that's fine too.

I too don't see where the outfit title changes but I'm also not sure I'm looking the the right place to see that.

Ahh ok, I misunderstood..:$

Ya that does seem to happen when I try that.. It probably has something to do with that default just mainly dealing with links or something like that..

• Like 1