What is This?

Cedric Brown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

standing at the edge of Linden protected land and a private parcel is this, it has been here for over a week. I guess its a bot of some sort? It displays rotating advertisements. Will this be the new microparcel advertising campaign on the mainland?  How large may these "avatars" get? I don't like the future of mainland if this conforms to the TOS. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Demelo/20/8/59

Demelo_001.thumb.jpg.8b97206921d0d330625ec7970769be10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It looks more like a "sign" to me.

I don't see why it would be considered a "bot" - unless it is moving around from place to place.

Instead, I would consider it a "vendor": An advertisement that apparently also lets you buy something from clicking it.

I doubt are not allowed on Mainland, as long as it is not considered part of an "ad farm".

I know lots of people on the Forum have strong opinions and more knowledge than me about "ad farms", so hopefully they will chime in.

• Like 3

It is an avatar.
But unless it stands unwanted on someones land, there is nothing much wrong with doing this I guess.
People can be whatever floats their boat: A gorgeous girl, a dinosaur, an old man, a child, a bald carpenter, a demon, a Linden, a monster, a fox or an advertisement block, to name a few.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Yes. In the People tool, I can see the name of the avatar and that its like 1 meter away from me. But how does the avatar prevent me from seeing floaty text over their head?

She's underground.  She just attached the avatar way above her head

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Here's a photo of it with surface patch rendering turned off:

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.71e792b72d6c3d2bd09f557829189650.png

What I don't understand is how an avatar can be underground. How is that done?

As far as I could tell, the object is just a landmark giver.

I suppose that the reason for using an attachment on a hidden avatar is that the land belongs to Governor Linden, and autoreturn is set to five minutes, so a rezzed object would be returned, but the avatar can stay there until the region restarts.

It seems to me that this is an abusive use of a loophole and should, therefore, be reported.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

As far as I could tell, the object is just a landmark giver.

I suppose that the reason for using an attachment on a hidden avatar is that the land belongs to Governor Linden, and autoreturn is set to five minutes, so a rezzed object would be returned, but the avatar can stay there until the region restarts.

It seems to me that this is an abusive use of a loophole and should, therefore, be reported.

I have a Poof gesture that puts me underground and out of sight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So the good news is the Linden Abuse Report Team has vastly improved since I last filed an abuse report ( it took several weeks for action to be taken).

Today my mouse slipped as I edited an object on my parcel.I mistakenly stretched the object to cover the signage board. 😇 Within 3 minutes I was administratively logged off and an email sent to me stating I have been temporarily suspended from logging into SL. THAT is freaking efficient....and quite pecuiar 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cedric Brown said:

So the good news is the Linden Abuse Report Team has vastly improved since I last filed an abuse report ( it took several weeks for action to be taken).

Today my mouse slipped as I edited an object on my parcel.I mistakenly stretched the object to cover the signage board. 😇 Within 3 minutes I was administratively logged off and an email sent to me stating I have been temporarily suspended from logging into SL. THAT is freaking efficient....and quite pecuiar 🤔

You made that up.

You don't get logged out or suspended for having an item returned. Don't ask me how I know. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cedric Brown said:

More likely there is a problem with your payment details and there is a coincidence. I suggest you check that they are okay, it is easy to forget that with a new credit card you will need to update them to make your tier payments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

An animation that buries the avatar into the ground. I have the "so embarrassed that I want to disappear into the earth" animation: 

https://i.imgur.com/KeTGLPg.mp4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

You made that up.

You don't get logged out or suspended for having an item returned. Don't ask me how I know. 

Nope, its true. Root prim was on my land. "Violation: Disturbing the Peace:  Parcel Encroachment

Residents may not extend or overhang objects onto other Residents land or land owned by Linden Lab without permission."

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

This sounds like when a city forbids large advertising signs or billboards and a business parks a big truck on the street with advertising all over the sides. People find a way to get around every rule.

Yes, thats my biggest fear. I like mainland, but can we foresee a bunch of these "avatars" with large block heads  along the roadways, water channels etc earning their L$1/hr pay like the campers back in the day (back when I should have been learning about those  "Pelvis offset animations".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Cedric Brown said:

Nope, its true. Root prim was on my land. "Violation: Disturbing the Peace:  Parcel Encroachment

Residents may not extend or overhang objects onto other Residents land or land owned by Linden Lab without permission."

Yes, thats my biggest fear. I like mainland, but can we foresee a bunch of these "avatars" with large block heads  along the roadways, water channels etc earning their L$1/hr pay like the campers back in the day (back when I should have been learning about those  "Pelvis offset animations".

Either there's more to that story, or the Lindens don't care at all about being consistent in rule enforcement.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cedric Brown said:

standing at the edge of Linden protected land and a private parcel is this, it has been here for over a week. I guess its a bot of some sort? It displays rotating advertisements. Will this be the new microparcel advertising campaign on the mainland?  How large may these "avatars" get? I don't like the future of mainland if this conforms to the TOS. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Demelo/20/8/59

Demelo_001.thumb.jpg.8b97206921d0d330625ec7970769be10.jpg

This qualifies as belonging in the "What fresh hell is this?" category of SL trends.

If it's an unregistered scripted agent, you should be able to AR it for that. If it's a registered one . . . I'm not sure that this is the kind of activity for those that is sanctioned by LL? It certainly shouldn't be -- this is very clearly just a way to work around bans on ad farms on microparcels.

@Qie Niangao

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

If it wasn't set to phantom and it was blocking the road, then I can see them returning the object. 

Sure, but a full on suspension? You don't get that just for putting a big object out. You don't get a suspension for doing even worse than that.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.