Notes on the WelcomeHub

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

45 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm never bored in SL. People who are bored are bored of their own accord. There is no reason to be bored here at all.

I love cliches, especially the ones that are not true. Boredom is a fundamental human emotion also found in animals and it exists because it provides an evolutionary advantage.

Getting back to SL, why are residents leaving faster than new residents join? What do you identify as the root cause and possible solution to the declining demographic of SL?

Edit: Expanded on Reply.

Edited by Randall Ahren
Expand on Reply

4 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

That frustrates other residents who find locations filled with bots and AFK avatars. So they quit logging in.

In general it is easier for people to not respond to somebody than telling them that they have no interest in talking to them. People will also have the tendency to rather assume that somebody is afk, since why would they not respond to you.. you're the greatest after all and everyone should be thankful that you engaged them with a "hi". Also you're sure that you must be the first one who has done so in the past hour and they've just been waiting for you.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 9

37 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I ran through the new welcome hub the day it opened.  I might have to go back and see how it's doing now that a bit of time has passed.  Bring on the noobies!

I'm going to return too, maybe as Luna instead of my new 'pretend I'm a newbie' alt.

I told a friend about this and she wants to go there to help. She's done a lot of social service type work in 1st life and likes to assist others. She was especially excited because it stresses the SL viewer that she always uses and loves.

• Like 2

• Administrators

giphy.gif

Hey folks,

Since I just had to come in and clean up a few posts that were off topic/veering off into interpersonal bickering, I'd like to remind everyone to please make their best effort to stay on topic. More importantly, if you have an issue with another Resident on the forums - please do not air out your grievances with that individual on the forums - including making jabs at each other in an effort to get a rise out of the other person. All that accomplishes is derailing the thread further and further off it's original topic, and impedes on the ability of other users trying to read & engage with the thread.

Please either keep it to PMs, drop it entirely, or use that handy dandy ignore button.

Thanks!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@Randall Ahren

If you want SL to be more like a mmorpg, maybe we should exclude seasoned residents from the Welcome Hub, then have a region just beyond it where they can attack the newbies, get points for killing them, and take all their stuff?

What stuff? Newbies have stuff? 😇

not-anymore-not-anymure.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

SL regulary hitting 50K +  users of late. Its Saturday pm and already theres 47 K +online. Keep up.

Great, why don't you go in-world instead of posting in the forums? Or have your parked your avatar in-world and gone AFK because you're in-world and it's dreadfully boring?

Edit: Firestorm shows 46,591 currently online. People must be logging for their afternoon nap before they login later for their big Saturday night out.

image.png.8716f004653f0baca6f5e57105bad29d.png

Edit: For comparison here, is Fortnite's current count of online players:

image.thumb.png.081fd4dac34f1fc8e49d86c25a6419ca.png

Fortnite has more than fifty times the current number of users online.

Edited by Randall Ahren
add FS stats and Fortnite stats
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Randall Ahren said:

Great, why don't you go in-world instead of posting in the forums? Or have your parked your avatar in-world and gone AFK because you're in-world and it's dreadfully boring?

Edit: Firestorm shows 46,591 currently online. People must be logging for their afternoon nap before they login later for their big Saturday night out.

No matter what LL did, it wouldn't attract the same demographic as fortnite which is decidedly male between 18-24.   Nice try, though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

No matter what LL did, it wouldn't attract the same demographic as fortnite which is decidedly male between 18-24.   Nice try, though.

Nor should they want to. I live with one of the trash talker FPS player types ... Keep them out of and away from Second Life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Nor should they want to. I live with one of the trash talker FPS player types ... Keep them out of and away from Second Life.

What?  Why??  Doesn't SL need a new crop of obnoxious kids griefing info hubs? 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Randall Ahren said:

Great, why don't you go in-world instead of posting in the forums?

Why don't you? Why don't any of us? Why don't people talk in local? Why do people always insist on IMS and then just have to start with propositioning when it's the last thing others want to "hear"? 

Why do you breathe?

• Haha 3

On 8/5/2023 at 11:16 PM, Randall Ahren said:

I'm struggling to see the comparison between a multiplayer FPS and Second Life...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Couple nitpicks:

- Fortnite's a battle-royale/third-person shooter, not FPS. FPS would be Call of Dewty, EFT, Overwatch, Valorant, etc. Nobody cares I know, but I'm pre-coffee and feel like nitpicking. Lemme alone. 😂

- Perhaps the poster was referring to Fortnite's Creative Mode, which is a sandbox mode players can build entire game worlds and experiences in to play with others, but who knows.

- Fortnite has zero to do with Second Life's Welcome Hub. Creative Mode has its own Welcome Hub-like thing, though, so maybe that's why it was brought up. Maybe.

- Current player counts in general are always pretty useless (except maybe in single-player games) since you've also got to account for bots and alts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.