Ideas for Compliments in Second Life (Bonus if Back-handed!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think that people don't give enough compliments to others in Second Life.  

How about some ideas? 

But, like in RL / FL - compliments can always have a "MEAN side"..

Here's an example:

"Girl, you are positively GLOWING!

..Did you just have Slex?

Are you pregnant?  I'll bet that's it!

You definitely look fatter!"

As you can see in the example above, sometimes compliments start out nice and innocent, then get MEAN!

In addition to sincere complements, do you also have any "back-handed compliments" to share that you've gotten or heard in Second Life? 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Edited "fun" and "funny" to "MEAN"
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Frankly, I can't imagine anyone finding those comments "funny". They're good ways to break a friendship.

Thanks! 

That is definitely a problem when people make those kinds of "back-handed compliments".  They try to be funny but are just hurtful.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks! 

That is definitely a problem when people make those kinds of "back-handed compliments".  They try to be funny but are just hurtful.

My mother-in-law is the queen of backhanded compliments.  

" That dress makes your butt look smaller" is one I've heard recently from.someone I see at a club all the time.  I guess my butt looks humongous otherwise?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're looking very prim and proper today. (technically a compliment, but the implication is prims are bad and ugly)

Looks like you're all put together! (damned by faint praise?)

Why, you look no older than the day you rezzed! (but don't new residents look kinda bad off the boat?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

" That dress makes your butt look smaller" is one I've heard recently from.someone I see at a club all the time.  I guess my butt looks humongous otherwise?

That's a tough one! Maybe they don't think you would like your butt looking smaller? (Bigger butts are definitely desirable.)  That's part of the problem, too many ways to interpret it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

You're looking very prim and proper today. (technically a compliment, but the implication is prims are bad and ugly)

Looks like you're all put together! (damned by faint praise?)

Why, you look no older than the day you rezzed! (but don't new residents look kinda bad off the boat?

That's the spirit!!

How about: You look very beautiful, you remind me of my mother.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My mother-in-law is the queen of backhanded compliments.  

back in the day, system skirts gives everyone a wide butt 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

back in the day, system skirts gives everyone a wide butt 

Back in the day, people didn't know you had to slim down your actually shape to almost nothing so you didn't have that huge butt.  

Since huge butts are IN, they should bring those system skirts back!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

@Love Zhaoyingthe only nice sounding thing I can think of that people say, that doesn't mean what a person might think, is, "Well, bless your heart."

If someone ever says to you, it is not good.  This probably doesn't translate to any other culture besides the southern US.

I thought of this too, good one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But, like in RL / FL - compliments can always have a "MEAN side"..

Here's an example:

"Girl, you are positively GLOWING!

..Did you just have Slex?

Are you pregnant?  I'll bet that's it!

You definitely look fatter!"

As you can see in the example above, sometimes compliments start out nice and innocent, then get MEAN!

those aren't mean, but people change  the meaning of words( in special by social media where influencers and snowflakes whisper those thoughts in your ears) .

Telling the truth néver is mean. But mostly taken as so.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

@Love Zhaoyingthe only nice sounding thing I can think of that people say, that doesn't mean what a person might think, is, "Well, bless your heart."

I love that one 🙂 It's fun to use in the UK where only a few people know about it xD

I used to know a funny, sarcastic SL builder who would say "Not bad...for you!" whenever I made something 9_9 Which I said back to him the first time he ever DJ'd at an event 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

those aren't mean, but people change  the meaning of words( in special by social media where influencers and snowflakes whisper those thoughts in your ears) .

Telling the truth néver is mean. But mostly taken as so.

My post originally said "funny", but I changed it to "mean" since someone took "great offense" to my original post, who messaged me, "Please consider changing your post. You are better than that."  

I am NOT "better than that", but given Rolig's post in this thread, I did change my post. 🙂 (Someone else messaged me.) 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My post originally said "funny", but I changed it to "mean" since someone took "great offense" to my original post. 

They even messaged me, "Please consider changing your post. You are better than that."  

I am NOT "better than that", but given Rolig's reply I did change my post. 🙂 

Just to be clear, I did not message Love. The "they" mentioned above was someone else.  In fact, since my post yesterday I haven't even opened this thread again.  (But I agree that Love probably is better than that. He strikes me as a pretty nice guy.  ;) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I like giving compliments when they are due, but not a fan of getting them ..They make me feel all awkward and stuff..

Omg I thought I was alone in this. When someone compliments me it's like I freeze up and I don't know how to respond to it so I just... don't?

Edited by Missy Starchild
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just to be clear, I did not message Love. The "they" mentioned above was someone else.  In fact, since my post yesterday I haven't even opened this thread again.  (But I agree that Love probably is better than that. He strikes me as a pretty nice guy.  ;) )

Sorry I wasn't clear! You were very respectful, as you always are!  I'll edit the post you quoted.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

The one I got which stays with me, and I did share it here at the time...

"Why do you dress like a middle aged Barbie?"

I'm still trying to figure this out. OK, I dress like Barbie because I can. Thats hardly unusual in SL. 

The middle aged thing? Is this sorta poking at my RL age? Because my avi doesn't look over 30. Or is this a style slap in the face? 

I dunno. It came from a female avi I never met before and haven't seen since. Weird. 

Anything else just embarrasses me. I work hard on how I look, but I do that to please me. Its nothing more than slider skills and 3D art.

And shedloads of shopping. And I really do mean that. When I can't be in world but can use my phone I'm in MP collecting demos........9_9

• Like 3

It's funny you started this topic, Love. I get complimented quite often about my rather unique avatar in Second Life. :) I occasionally do the same to folks I encounter who have similarly unique avatars. :) And I also compliment folks who've provided great entertainment or customer support.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.