Congratulations to a Very Special Group of People on Second Life's 20th Birthday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I consider SL's 20th birthday a remarkable milestone, and I would like to take this opportunity to extend my heartfelt congratulations to a special group of individuals who have been essential pillars of Second Life. They have played a crucial role in keeping this virtual world vibrant and thriving for two decades.

Often quiet and overlooked until the moment you need them, these individuals are the unsung heroes who provide the foundation for your work and businesses. Virtually no creator in Second Life can build their enterprise without relying on them.

I hold a deep belief that without their unwavering dedication, this world would not have thrived for as long as it has. Support provided by them has been necessary and crucial for the growth and success of Second Life.

Of course, I am referring to the invaluable contributions of scripters and full perm creators. These talented individuals play a pivotal role in shaping the virtual landscape of Second Life, enabling the creation of immersive experiences and empowering businesses to flourish.

To the scripters, thank you for programming this interactive world and providing the essential tools that empower creators. Your invaluable contributions make our lives easier and enhance the experiences of everyone in Second Life. Thank you for your dedication and ingenuity!

To the full perm texture artists, thank you for the vibrant colors you infuse into this world. Your creative works can be seen everywhere, from houses to dresses, and without your contributions, this world would be devoid of life and excitement. Thank you for enriching the virtual realm with your incredible talents and bringing endless beauty to our virtual experiences!

To the full perm mesh/sculpt artists, thank you for shaping the world we inhabit in Second Life. Your incredible skills in creating meshes and sculpts have revolutionized the virtual landscape. Without your contributions, this world would still be as primitive as the prims themselves… Thank you for elevating the artistic possibilities and making Second Life a more visually captivating and immersive experience!

To my fellow colleagues, the full perm animators: I want to acknowledge and applaud each and every one of you for your exceptional bravery and talent. Without your remarkable skills and unwavering dedication, many of the beautiful objects in Second Life would remain mere props and scenery in a stagnant world. It is through your artistry that people behind the screens are granted the opportunity to express their deepest emotions and bring life to their virtual experiences. Your contributions add a profound dimension to this virtual realm.

Let us not overlook the tutorials creators and building schools, where countless Second Life creators have taken their first steps. Your invaluable work is truly awe-inspiring, and your enduring strength and perseverance are truly fascinating. Moreover, your unwavering support for future creators should serve as an example even to real life educational institutions. From the bottom of my heart, I express my deepest gratitude. Thank you for the remarkable contributions you make, shaping the talents of aspiring creators and nurturing the creative spirit within Second Life.

Creating and running a business is no easy feat, and it would be nearly impossible without the hard work of each and every one of these Second Life professionals. Their dedication and expertise have been essential in making the light of Second Life shine so bright. Let us continue this journey together, illuminating the virtual realm for the next 20 years and beyond. Cheers to a future filled with limitless possibilities and continued success, where the light of Second Life shines ever brighter!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

On 7/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Congratulations to a Very Special Group of People on Second Life's 20th Birthday

the users, who made SL what it is today.
Without us the creators were doomed.
(we seen the result in Sansar)
Without us SL wouldn't have survived a single year.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

I'm pretty small-time as a creator myself, but I do try to share. I appreciate any appreciation given to content creators though, because even if you do it for the love of it all, it can sorta feel like thankless effort sometimes. Artists can be sensitive to such things.

As for what Alwin says, I agree also. I don't even see a contradiction there, because users and creators are so closely linked in SL. Everything in it was made by people who are (or once were) actual residents. We all make SL, even the people who just stand around and look pretty, or like to fish while dodging RL work.

Sim owners who spare no effort in having cohesive, aesthetically-themed sims have my vote, also. Making beautiful places and sharing them with others when they could just as well set it all to private and run around enjoying it all by themselves, well, that's worth at least a little thank-you from me.

As for FP creators in particular, a small handful of very stoically open-source creators come to mind. But then I celebrate them every time I think of them, which is every time I rezz a 1-prim sculpt made over ten years ago that's got more detail than a multiple-prim linkset, and which cost me nothing, and is still good enough to display with pride in my home. And can be shared with anyone who likes it.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 4:33 AM, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

To my fellow colleagues, the full perm animators: I want to acknowledge and applaud each and every one of you for your exceptional bravery and talent. Without your remarkable skills and unwavering dedication, many of the beautiful objects in Second Life would remain mere props and scenery in a stagnant world. It is through your artistry that people behind the screens are granted the opportunity to express their deepest emotions and bring life to their virtual experiences. Your contributions add a profound dimension to this virtual realm.

I don't think that many people realise just how dependent we are on full perm animators to bring our furniture alive. Just a few talented (and in my experience, very nice) people animating most of SL. It is rare to find furniture makers who make their own animations, nearly everyone who makes furniture is buying from the full perm animators.

Similarly, because we can't all do everything ourselves, many of us rely heavily on those who sell scripts to give our products additional functions. There is one really talented scripter who sells products as add-ons for AVSitter, and I don't know what I would do without her work.

People who sell full perm mesh allow creators of all backgrounds to enter the market, without needing to learn Blender or other 3d software, and express their creative side through texturing. And we see some very talented people who use full perm mesh to create unique looking products.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, CandyCole said:

I don't thank anybody. I am a consumer.

In one form or another I am buying the means to be entertained. The entertainment is generated by ME along with items and environments I consume to achieve it.

I hope one day you will feel the joy of being part of a community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VeeTach Littlething said:

Have they announced the winners of the car and the other SB20 prices??

No, the contests are open for a few more days and apparently from what I heard in local chat yesterday by the contest boards you can enter them every day on your main account 

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I hope one day you will feel the joy of being part of a community.

So kind, if a little patronising.

I'm too independent to pander to others and my neediness levels have never risen beyond negligible. However, I do understand why some people need support in their lives. Take the church, for example. Please, take it.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CandyCole said:

I'm too independent to pander to others and my neediness levels have never risen beyond negligible. However, I do understand why some people need support in their lives.

You're looking in the wrong end of the telescope, maybe. Community is not about what you need; it's about what you can share.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I'm reminded of the whole thing with Thoreau being alone and independent and not needing anyone, but it turns out his mother was doing his laundry and preparing food for him. He just avoided telling people that. There aren't many people in Second Life who produce everything they need. We all end up depending on each other at some point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:32 PM, CandyCole said:

So kind, if a little patronising.

I'm too independent to pander to others and my neediness levels have never risen beyond negligible. However, I do understand why some people need support in their lives. Take the church, for example. Please, take it.

So you made that mesh head? Pretty impressive...

Theresa Tennyson then looks at Ms. Cole's profile and notices the remarkably visible wish list.

Whatever you say, Blanche...

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 6

Scripters have always been the amazing part of SL for me.. I don't know how many times I've been amazed at what they can do.. There are some that I have met that opened my eyes to what can really be done under the surface that brings such life  to the surface..

I remember early on meeting two that became really good friends.. I swear I spent so much time just hanging around with them just to see what they would come up with next.. They gave me things that I still use today.. If there was ever any ideas I had , I would always contact them first to see if they were possible.. They would get sparked up and before I knew it they were sending me their version of it and leaving it open for me to be able to adjust and edit...

Shout out to Breezer and One, for making my second life so interesting and exciting so early on! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

For me, in addition to the above, I'm glad LL opened their code base just enough so that other folks could experiment with an alternate take on SL... a few have tried, but the only one that remains is Open Simulator, running since 2008. Thanks, LL! :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.