Retired last names potentially coming back

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

You're already shifting goal posts. First there are no MMOs where event items are one-time only, now there are games but the "majority" of time-limited items returns. We could already stop here since I've never made a claim about how frequent these items are, but that they exist, and that people would be pissed if they return.

But for the sake of further supporting my argument I forward you to google and Overwatch threads like "Which skins can’t you get anymore?" (https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/which-skins-cant-you-get-anymore/460908). As far as WoW is concerned, there is a vast number of titles you can't get anymore. This starts with every Curve and Cutting Edge title, which naturally can only exist for a certain period of time and you cannot get them afterwards anymore whatsoever. Titles like "The Chosen". Were designed to exist only for a short period of time. You have achievements for logging in during the WoW Birthday. You naturally cannot get these achievements anymore after. Even when the mage tower challenge got brought back (a challenge that is supposed to be as hard as it was back then), you could do it, but you wouldn't get the weapon skins anymore. None of these are ever going to return, and people would be pissed.

Indeed I never denied that in a handful of games, a handful of items might be permanently limited, but generally event items rotate in and out, and nobody cares. There's no particular reason for LL to keep something as basic as names permanently limited, either.

But you know, you can keep arguing for that if you'd like, I don't honestly care that much. Just saying how other games generally do it.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:10 AM, Sakura Sands said:

Hello all,

I've been searching for a thread about the announcement that maybe some old last names will be made available to residents again.  I'm quite against the idea of bringing back retired names but am curious about what other people think.  I'm sure this thread exists but have been unable to locate it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Im personally all for this. I could care less if anyone has the same last name as my other account. I think it would be neat to see some of those names out in the wild again . And to be fair, a lot of people who once had those names no longer play SL. There are names out there that I really do wish I had created an account with. Bring it on, bring back the old last names.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Instead of being elitist why not lobby to have the word 'Resident' hidden from view in-world.

This trailing moniker doesn't exist here on the forum unless you delve into a profile. It's not on MarketPlace, nor your online account. I forget it even exists.

Wait. People are willing to pay to be elitist. Exchanging money for a sense of elevation. To feel superior.

At the end of the day it's all just a game of pretend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CandyCole said:

Instead of being elitist why not lobby to have the word 'Resident' hidden from view in-world.

This trailing moniker doesn't exist here on the forum unless you delve into a profile. It's not on MarketPlace, nor your online account. I forget it even exists.

Wait. People are willing to pay to be elitist. Exchanging money for a sense of elevation. To feel superior.

At the end of the day it's all just a game of pretend.

I think most that buy a last name, do it for a lot of other reasons than to be elitists.. sure there might be some, but not as many as their used to be.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CandyCole said:

why not lobby to have the word 'Resident' hidden from view in-world.

the Linden viewer has pretty much done this

only place Resident shows up these days is in LSL scripted display devices.  Linden could fix this by llKey2Name() returning a space char instead of "Resident"

return example:  "elleevelyn  " <<== 2 trailing spaces. Instead of "ellevelyn Resident"

this should not break any scripts that rely on using the 1st space to separate FIrstName and LastName

it would also cater for later version scripts which strip Resident for display purposes. Example:

name = llList2String(llParseString2List(name, [" Resident"], []), 0). In this case name would = "elleevelyn  "

going forward then new scripts would go:  name = llStringTrim(name, STRING_TRIM_TAIL) resulting in "elleevelyn"

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:55 AM, Stephanie Misfit said:

I agree with you, I am against the "original" last names coming back, too. They show an avatar's age.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:34 AM, Sakura Sands said:

I can tell automatically from some last names how long an avatar has been around. 

etc.

That is, or will (well, would, unless they give in to the quoted desire for bringing back "Daddy", or (some of) the "new last names" generally) increasingly be, valid for the "not original" last names, too, though, we're giving SL another 20 years, at least, aren't we ;)

Edited by InnerCity Elf

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Daddies" are now more popular than ever.  I wouldn't be surprised if this happens!

Seems so. They probably could make even more money if they'd offer it as well in a special edition version, "Daddy" as first name instead of last, next father's day, or recurring, or whatever. 

___

Just joking, by thr way, whether names or zombies, don't take me too seriously, I don't either. I'm happy that I could "upgrade" my meanwhile also not exactly new avi with another name than "Resident", and play with the name, I hated that popping up in local chat from random scripts, when walking through a door, etc., So un-immersive. It's an expensive treat, but my avi doesn't smoke, drink, or drive, and even hardly ever buys shoes, so it's okay. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, InnerCity Elf said:

Seems so. They probably could make even more money if they'd offer it as well in a special edition version, "Daddy" as first name instead of last, next father's day, or recurring, or whatever. 

___

Just joking, by thr way, whether names or zombies, don't take me too seriously, I don't either. I'm happy that I could "upgrade" my meanwhile also not exactly new avi with another name than "Resident", and play with the name, I hated that popping up in local chat from random scripts, when walking through a door, etc., So un-immersive. It's an expensive treat, but my avi doesn't smoke, drink, or drive, and even hardly ever buys shoes, so it's okay. ;)

Oooh! Daddy + Zombie = "Zaddy".

You could SAY that it's a "Zombie" plus "Dadddy" combo but: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Zaddy

I for one would love to see some old last names become available again. I've long wanted to change my username but none of the ones offered since it became possible have sparked any joy with me: I want a normal but cool lastname, not a thematic or funny one. All the ones fitting my vibe have already been used and can't be suggested, not like the "suggest a last name" form appears to do anything anyway. 😛

• Like 3

• Administrators

A quick peek under the hood at the last 12 months of top retired recent surnames, the top 10 list looks like:

Alpha
Littlepaws
Rowley
Mercury
Voxel
Takeda
Huntsman
Dallas
Mysterious
Puddles

Since it has been specifically mentioned, Daddy was a 2021 name so it didn't make the implicit 12 months prior list, however, if it had, it would have ranked #21 on this list.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

25 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

A quick peek under the hood at the last 12 months of top retired recent surnames, the top 10 list looks like:

Alpha
Littlepaws
Rowley
Mercury
Voxel
Takeda
Huntsman
Dallas
Mysterious
Puddles

Since it has been specifically mentioned, Daddy was a 2021 name so it didn't make the implicit 12 months prior list, however, if it had, it would have ranked #21 on this list.   

Thanks, Zadd..I mean, Patch!! ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Patch Linden said:

Alpha
Littlepaws
Rowley
Mercury
Voxel
Takeda
Huntsman
Dallas
Mysterious
Puddles

I would not mind at all paying a fee to obtain a retired last name.  Has that been considered and rejected or may I hope??  😆

2 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Why not take all the old names, break them up into 12 "blocks" and then 1st of every month the new "legacy block" is switched in.

People can pick from the current crop of new names OR something from a sizable monthly block of old names.

This has the benefit that there is a known deadline as a call to action, and people know in advance when specific old-name is due back in rotation

A year from now, rebuild the blocks with the new names from the previous year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or only make the OLD last names available to people who already had an original last name?  So only my original account would be allowed and not poor Rowan.  

That wouldn't fit with my "needs"; I would like at some point to grab an old name for an alt who was created long after that specific name was retired.

Shouldn't we be able to use "retired" names when partnering?

- How will other Prides know to leave my mates alone if they don't take my last name? 

- Example: If I were to marry Rowan, I'd hope to take her last name as "Love Amore".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.