Retired last names potentially coming back

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Shouldn't we be able to use "retired" names when partnering?

- How will other Prides know to leave my mates alone if they don't take my last name? 

- Example: If I were to marry Rowan, I'd hope to take her last name as "Love Amore".

^ ❤️ ^

I like how older names signal that an avatar is an oldbie, but I can see the value in being able to have the same last name as your partner or your alt. What if we could do what is done in some sci-fi shows we're there are 2 versions of the same person? Love Zhaoying would be the original. Love Zhaoying-Prime could be your alt. Your partnered name, if you partnered Rowan Amore, could be Love Amore-Prime. This way we can retain the special quality of retired names, while still paying a homage to them.

If "Prime" is too long to add, maybe just add "-2,".

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ ❤️ ^

I like how older names signal that an avatar is an oldbie, but I can see the value in being able to have the same last name as your partner or your alt. What if we could do what is done in some sci-fi shows we're there are 2 versions of the same person? Love Zhaoying would be the original. Love Zhaoying-Prime could be your alt. Your partnered name, if you partnered Rowan Amore, could be Love Amore-Prime. This way we can retain the special quality of retired names, while still paying a homage to them.

Whereas, the closest I came with my existing Alt was LoveXiaoying. 

• Like 2

I've noticed that a lot of newer inworld people put far less importance on the user name than us older residents do.  Once they discover the display name, some of them just turn off user names and use that.  I've learned from spending time with newer residents that many expect you to refer to their chosen display name anyway.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AzureWaves said:

SL can make so much money by simply letting people rotate the last names they've already paid for. Let me change them like I change my hair, which is every week. I would also buy all the holiday ones too. Why not?

They already let you go back to any name you have previously had.  You just have to pay again each time you do.

4 hours ago, Missy Starchild said:

I love meeting others with the same last name so I could not care less if mine was used by 1, 10, 20, etc other people. We're like one big family of Starchilds.

I have never met another Boyle. 

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I've noticed that a lot of newer inworld people put far less importance on the user name than us older residents do.  Once they discover the display name, some of them just turn off user names and use that.  I've learned from spending time with newer residents that many expect you to refer to their chosen display name anyway.

I have always assumed that, if someone has a display name, it is the name that they want to be known by. Why else have one?

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I will use their display name unless they've included weird letters and such.  I know I could copy/paste to say hello  but nope, not gonna.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I have never met another Boyle. 

I have always assumed that, if someone has a display name, it is the name that they want to be known by. Why else have one?

If you've had  display names turned off in the past, you might not even realise someone is using them.  I remember when they were introduced, it wasn't clear how much they would be used and at first nobody seemed to mind if you referred to their user name.   Obviously over time they've become popular with quite a lot of people.  At some point along the way I realised by how much and turned them back on.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I will use their display name unless they've included weird letters and such.  I know I could copy/paste to say hello  but nope, not gonna.

But when someone's name is "bunghole", or "ballsdeephoe" or whatever, isn't it tempting to shorten their name for brevity? "Hey, Bung!" (Like the jester, in "Wizard of Id"). "Hey, Hoe!" (Beats "Hey, Balls"..)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Missing ")"
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm not calling them that either.  Maybe there's a reason SL doesn't have good social aspects?

It gets weirder, at least for me.  While "BDH" is a "new name" (a single compound name with the last name "Resident"),  years ago I was shopping at a Region owned by someone named "Bambi TwiceNightly" and thought it was a joke.  Years later, I saw that "TwiceNightly" is an actual, "real" Last Name.  Like, WTH?  So, I guess some legacy Last Names are intended to be a little.."edgy".  Did not know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But when someone's name is "bunghole", or "ballsdeephoe" or whatever, isn't it tempting to shorten their name for brevity? "Hey, Bung!" (Like the jester, in "Wizard of Id"). "Hey, Hoe!" (Beats "Hey, Balls"..)

Hey Balls, how deep is your hoe ? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Frionil Fang said:

I for one would love to see some old last names become available again. I've long wanted to change my username but none of the ones offered since it became possible have sparked any joy with me: I want a normal but cool lastname, not a thematic or funny one. All the ones fitting my vibe have already been used and can't be suggested, not like the "suggest a last name" form appears to do anything anyway. 😛

Yes it seems many people are just looking for a regular last name.  Those are the ones that appeal the most to me too.

The Lindens, as usual, created the problem in the first place by removing last names and switching to "resident." Nothing worse than regressionary changes for the sake of change just to make some upper level manager think you're "doing" something.

/rant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:59 PM, RangiUtu said:

The Lindens, as usual, created the problem in the first place by removing last names and switching to "resident." Nothing worse than regressionary changes for the sake of change just to make some upper level manager think you're "doing" something.

/rant

Didn't they remove last names around the M period of CEO's? Then when Rodvik came along we got the display names..

My memory might be off a bit on who was in charge, but I just remember a lot of bad choices in the M period.. hehehe

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Didn't they remove last names around the M period of CEO's? Then when Rodvik came along we got the display names..

My memory might be off a bit on who was in charge, but I just remember a lot of bad choices in the M period.. hehehe

I think you are right, I seem to remember a similar timing.

12 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My memory, which could be incorrect, is that display names were introduced at the same time that last names were discontinued and seemed to be intended to make up for the unavailability of last names by letting people have a display name that had a first and last name. The large number of ways that usernames were visible, often without the display name, spoiled it, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

My memory, which could be incorrect, is that display names were introduced at the same time that last names were discontinued and seemed to be intended to make up for the unavailability of last names by letting people have a display name that had a first and last name. The large number of ways that usernames were visible, often without the display name, spoiled it, though.

You could be right.. Everything way back then seems so mashed up together that it's hard to really remember..

I just remember a lot of commotion back then going on with last names for a good bit.. hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.