Ranch Theme

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The largest group are the Americans in SL. But at least half of the SL population come from outside of the USA.

I personally think that the Lab should take some more challenging themes on:
Futuristic\space, Medieval, South American, rain forest

They could start new continents for certain themes. There is no reason that everything get's connected like one big chunk of land IMHO. Like let's say 50 Medieval regions around a nice scenic castle in the center.
100 Regions with a big Mayan temple in the center and the rest tropical houses surrounded by rain forest, a bunch of regions with Venetian style of housing and chanels, and, and, and.

Or island groups with themes with Indiana Jones in mind, or Harry Potter or Startrek, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, The Flintstones or an adult theme with the Kama Sutra in mind.

With a bit of fantasy a lot more is possible than only American style houses,trees and a few roads, rinse and repeat.

OR .... they'll just move some stuff and mash more around the edges.

The ranch landscaping really does remind me of the English Lake District. The stone walls, hills, tarns - almost! (Born, raised and currently live in the LD), The houses are too frequent though. I wasn't holding out for this 2048 theme, still waiting for that GEORGIAN TOWN!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

The ranch landscaping really does remind me of the English Lake District. The stone walls, hills, tarns - almost! (Born, raised and currently live in the LD), The houses are too frequent though. I wasn't holding out for this 2048 theme, still waiting for that GEORGIAN TOWN!

The English Lake District would be a good theme too. The privately-owned Dragonfly estates has this theme.

Actually, if you want a specific theme for a home in SL, private regions can be wonderful. I rented in a lovely area that looked like one on some Scottish lochs. It even has a small village and a castle with a restaurant inside it.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..but you are going to create and sell extensions/accessories/etc. for the new homes, correct?

Just asking!

I just found out that this theme is PP+ only. I'm not going to shell out the cash to only use it as a private temporary sandbox. So nothing to be seen for this theme in my Belli Shop.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I visited the regions today and I am not inspired enough to upgrade. I like some of the house modelds (not sure which ones, until I have a good look at the demos) but I find the landscaping a bit boring, too similar to the Logs, which is my least favourote theme.

• Like 7

I had NO idea about this launch, saw it totally by accident.

Immediately tried to get a home. It was telling me I didn't have 2048 available. I'm like, wut? Then I remembered I had donated 512 elsewhere so very sorry to that group but I wanted the ranch house more.

Kept my first roll home. It's sitting up on a bit of a hill so I have a sweeping view out front. The back is sloped somewhat which is not great for placing an out building on (Jian barn) but I do like how it affords even more privacy with all the space surrounding.

This is the first time I'm not compelled to find a house with any kind of water on it. Using the Stable View for now. I didn't know about that secret attic space so that makes me think I should take a better look at the other floor plans again. Maybe I don't really needs such a large indoor space - it's the outdoor I find more interesting.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Kept my first roll home. It's sitting up on a bit of a hill so I have a sweeping view out front. The back is sloped somewhat which is not great for placing an out building on (Jian barn) but I do like how it affords even more privacy with all the space surrounding.

This is the first time I'm not compelled to find a house with any kind of water on it. 

Agreed, this theme is not about the water.  The small ponds here and there are nice, but more for the soundscape than the visuals, for me.  I wandered around a LOT yesterday, and found I liked the parcels up on the hills also.  With such large parcels, having a long view over the landscape is really cool.  If I had one with a sloped backyard, I might be tempted to put in my own pond, with ducks and pond sounds. 

I have a lot to do on my current properties, so won't be getting a ranch now.  Tempting, because we had a large ranch long ago, and it would be fun to repurpose/update some of those items and ideas.  But PP is expensive, so I won't do it until I'm ready to work on it.

Remember, folks, at the BelliDemo region you can change the ranch (and all the demo LHs) to all models for that theme, even if you're not Premium.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

I got one of the houses and I think having water isn't that much a priority with these models either. More rivers would be nice though.

I am finding though that either there are too many rooms in the house or it's too big of an open room.  I'm probably going to put  a pool in and a few decorations but honestly the landscape looks really good that you don't need much.

I may wait to start decorating until I see what the creators come up for add-ons. For one there is no room small enough for a bathroom. I'm sure the create some awesome add-on's.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Power/Telephone Poles and Wires

In RL, I live in a somewhat rural area and I wish the poles and wires were underground, as they are for many houses not far away. In the western US, "undergrounding"  is an important aspect of forest fire prevention. It is more expensive initially but with lower maintenance costs.

For me, the poles and wires in the Ranch Theme detract from an otherwise beautiful build. I found myself purposely avoiding them in photography. Too bad they are there. This is similar to corner posts in the stilts.

If you don't like the telephone poles/wires - simply derezz them for yourself.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alec Kaestner said:

If you don't like the telephone poles/wires - simply derezz them for yourself.

Not an issue for me as I am only Premium and have little interest in Mooville as it has no water rezzing or airstrips. My point, restated, concerns the placement of unattractive (to some) features all over Mooville. I would have taken the opposite default said if you like poles and wires that connect to nothing, rez them yourself on your own parcel.

Edited by diamond Marchant

I think they did a very nice job on the Ranch theme/region, but it doesn't appeal to me personally. I am a San Francisco girl... I like  seaside and coastal hills/mountains. All five of my linden homes are by water.. .either a lake or an ocean. The same with my mainland; it is located along the sea of fables.

I think it is perfectly OK for LL to make themes that are well done but are not "my thing." I am happy that 2048s are finally available for premium plus members. I am happy that they have nice spacing between the lots and landscaping that a lot of people find very pleasing/scenic. I am happy that my friends love the homes that they are rolling.

But I don't want one for myself. My premium plus account has a houseboat -- it is in a great location and I really like it. I don't see myself abandoning my houseboat for a Ranch.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of different themes, and hopefully everyone will find something they love in at least one of those themes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

hopefully everyone will find something they love in at least one of those themes.

People who are looking for a Ranch to love, you'll need luck tonight!  I noticed none were showing on the land page, so thinking there might be queue weirdness going on, I went inworld and TP'd around several Ranch regions.  Did not see a single unclaimed parcel.

That was quick!  I'm sure parcels will free up on and off, but there may not be a huge choice for a while.

Another thing I observed while zipping around:   Most houses are placed to guarantee some amount of privacy, but the large yards generally are not.  This gives the theme more of an "open range" feel, yay!  But it also means that Ranches will look a lot better to neighbors and passersby if owners use high-LOD items outdoors. Maybe those older animals would be best left in their inventory barn!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Not an issue for me as I am only Premium and have little interest in Mooville as it has no water rezzing or airstrips. My point, restated, concerns the placement of unattractive (to some) features all over Mooville. I would have taken the opposite default said if you like poles and wires that connect to nothing, rez them yourself on your own parcel.

Why are you complaining about a theme that you say you aren't even interested in. That makes no sense to me. I have a nice lot and think that the poles and wires make the theme realistic. I'm a happy "Mooville" resident. 

• Like 2

I think one reason we are seeing mostly American themes is that they lend themselves well to the Linden Home model, which is a detached single family home on a defined parcel with buffer zones between neighbors.  It is unlikely we will ever see high density housing, like Santorini or the Amalfi Coast. 

Also, having architectural and design similarities allows the moles to re-use basic building pieces, which means they can roll out new themes at a faster rate.  It also makes for easier transitions between theme areas.  There's a reason that the Fantasy and Sakura regions are isolated from the rest of Bellisseria.  Making a transition from one theme to another feel natural is not an easy thing.  The moles have done a really good job in that regard.

That doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of international styles that would work, just that it's easier and more efficient to stick with homes that share design elements with other existing themes.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.