You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, there are very good, different and obvious reasons why that is.  None of that has anything to do with anyone's avatars though.

However, clearly people do just lurk and say nothing here too so there is some commonality with what's being discussed.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

I hate it when anyone greets me with "Hey!". It's very anti-social.

"Hey!" (in my part of the world) is an imported aggressive shouty loud call word (from Scandinavian "Hei!" origins) which would only commonly be used to shout out to someone far away to gain their urgent attention. Similar to our own native "Oi!" word too.

Instead of "Hey!", please use "Hello", "Good morning", "Good afternoon" or "Good evening" when in close proximity to someone you wish to greet. Much more polite and it doesn't sound like a lazy single syllable grunt either.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I pretty rarely see hosts or hostesses at clubs these days. I do run across them occasionally, but most often the DJ is performing this function herself now, it seems?

I think it depends on the club. If crowds are large, a host is really necessary because the DJ isn;t going to be able to keep up on their own.  At Chiaroscuro, we always had Greville as host until he passed away, now I host when our other DJ is playing, but when I'm DJing I do it without a host. There's not too many guests, usually, that I can't do both roles together.

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I pretty rarely see hosts or hostesses at clubs these days. I do run across them occasionally, but most often the DJ is performing this function herself now, it seems?

I think people underestimate the importance of this kind of intervention. I've certainly run across my share of pretty incompetent hosts, who did little more than greet new arrivals, or would just periodically inject spammy gestures into local (which had, I think, the opposite effect intended). A really good host / hostess sparks conversations, makes returning visitors feel remembered and valued, and new visitors really welcome.

A DJ friend of mine goes out of his way to build a community from those who come to his sets, occasionally at the expense of his attention to the music! He is very vocal in chat, and dances with as many unpartnered women as he can, especially newcomers, so that they don't feel left out. I'm not a huge fan, always, of his choice of tunes, but his sets are pre-eminently social experiences, and he's built up a reasonably large group of hardcore "followers" as a result.

You're right about incompetent hosts. One that does no more than spam gestures is worse than no host at all.  Your friend sounds like just the sort of DJ I like to follow.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable if a DJ asked me to dance though. That isn't something I would do and would likely put me off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Hey!" (in my part of the world) is an imported aggressive shouty loud call word (from Scandinavian "Hei!" origins) which would only commonly be used to shout out to someone far away to gain their urgent attention. Similar to our own native "Oi!" word too.

Instead of "Hey!", please use "Hello", "Good morning", "Good afternoon" or "Good evening" when in close proximity to someone you wish to greet. Much more polite and it doesn't sound like a lazy single syllable grunt either.

Wouldn't you prefer a proper English word instead of "Hello"?

The history says it was popularized by an American, and basically used as you describe "Hey".

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2011/02/17/133785829/a-shockingly-short-history-of-hello

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wouldn't you prefer a proper English word instead of "Hello"?

Well, 'Hello' is a proper English word, it just until fairly recently didn't mean 'Hi', but:

What Do Lean and Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas Have in Common?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Hello literally means "Hey there!", in part  from the French "ho la", which means "whoa there".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello

There are also Medieval English songs that use a similar phrase "hey lo", as in the round: "Hey lo! Anybody home? Meat and drink and money have I none. Still I will be very merry...."

Edited by Persephone Emerald

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Hello literally mean "Hey there!", in part  from the French "ho la", which means "whoa there".

I say "hey" or "hey u" sometimes with people I know well -- it indicates a greater level of intimacy as it's less formal. Dear God, I hope this is not one more thing many are offended by...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I say "hey" or "hey u" sometimes with people I know well -- it indicates a greater level of intimacy as it's less formal. Dear God, I hope this is not one more thing many are offended by...

Who knows, lets try using a made up word !

TAL !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Who knows, lets try using a made up word !

TAL !

.. Merfolk frequently use the greeting 'Tala'. Your mispronunciation thereof is certain to offend!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
6 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I always talk in local, and if anyone says hello, I always respond. My number one topic, "why are there so many zombies in this place?"

Everyone you just called a Zombie is totally not going to talk now.

There's a song for that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

whilst i agree that words 'hey/oi' can be construed as rude, single syllable grunts, almost primitive, that does not grant us the permissions to enforce any kind of rule that states 'you must only address me, these ways' cus from there, what are you goin to do to enforce it? the expectation alone is self-entitlement at it's worst. people are who they are, why do you get to be an authority, on how they conduct themselves, communicate or otherwise? whilst it may be a ghastly form of communication, it is the right of whomever, to be as ghastly and unsavoury, provided they've not violated any rights, freedoms, laws, contractual obligations, and in SL's case TOS.. sooo, you can hate it all day, but you've no right to expect anyone to greet you a specific way, without yourself, violatin their basic right to speak, as they please.. now you are free to ignore them, and not acknowledge them, if that is as you see fit, you've no obligation to respond to 'hey/oi' but you also dont have the right to tell people they cant use 'hey/oi' it is outside of your control, and people are who they are, and speak how they speak, and you need to either not talk to those people, so you can avoid it, oor accept it, cus it's not goin anywhere any time soon. also, 'hey' is usually someone reachin out, that kinda implies the opposite of anti-social

Edited by danababy69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, danababy69 said:

that does not grant us the permissions to enforce any kind of rule that states 'you must only address me, these ways'

One solution is to become Gorean or something similar, so you can demand to be addressed in any manner customary with your Alpha status!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One solution is to become Gorean or something similar, so you can demand to be addressed in any manner customary with your Alpha status!

right?  an almost absolute role play scenario where you are always what you want to be, and are adressed so,  then you sit unchallenged.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.