International Women's Day in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm done with this. I refuse to allow myself to get dragged into another s**tshow in which the mere fact of wanting to celebrate people becomes an opportunity to attack others for who they are, or question the validity of celebrating them. Want to celebrate Men's Day? Go for it! I'll be there, genuinely, in a positive spirit. I'll even contribute. positively and without reservation, if you ask me to. But the fact that men aren't celebrating themselves shouldn't be an excuse not to celebrate others.

We NEED Pride.

We NEED International Women's Day.

We NEED Juneteenth.

But more to the point, why can we not just take one frickin' day a year to highlight and show our love and respect for others who may be different from us?

Because perhaps, Scylla, even you aren't able to show love and respect for someone who is different to you. (See your previous post to me - no love and respect in that, and it was unkind, but I know it was a retalliation because you felt belittled by my post, and I genuinely wanted to understand where you were coming from, but your mindset is wayyy different to mine.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why, in god's name, does every single thread that is about celebrating a disadvantaged group -- LGTBQ+, trans people, women, POC -- need to turn into an opportunity to crap on that group or someone else?

How the hell does International Women's Day become an opportunity for a transphobic screed?

I love men . . . my feminism is very much about helping men overcome the barriers and disadvantages they face too. Does the fact that these barriers and disadvantages exist justify an attack on a day celebrating women?

Over and over again! I am so tired of it.

For god's sake, can't we just be a little positive here occasionally, and maybe just be happy that we're celebrating diversity?

I think the fact that everyone else was ignoring her was pretty significant, actually. Totally off topic and nothing to do with LL recognizing more celebrations of the people that use SL.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Every other day is international men's day in every single metric that isn't explicitly child rearing.

Men make all the money, all the decisions and they run the world from the very top all the way down.

Behind every great man is an even greater woman.

• Like 2

• Moles

I've just removed several posts because tempers seemed to be getting rather frayed.

As the Community Guidelines say,

We want to foster an honest and open exchange of ideas on our community pages; to do that, we want to encourage all participants to maintain an atmosphere of courtesy and respect for others at all times. Creating a constructive place for conversation will help us build a strong, better informed community in Second Life, and make both our communication channels and our world a more supportive and engaging place for all.

Sometimes this is best done by stepping away from the keyboard for a while before posting.   At other times, as has been noted, it's best done simply by ignoring particular posts or posters.

• Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

Because perhaps, Scylla, even you aren't able to show love and respect for someone who is different to you. (See your previous post to me - no love and respect in that, and it was unkind, but I know it was a retalliation because you felt belittled by my post, and I genuinely wanted to understand where you were coming from, but your mindset is wayyy different to mine.)

The post in which I offer you an apology has been removed -- I'm not sure why, but that's fine.

I do however want to apologize for sounding harsh in my response to you. It was not my intention to be unkind, and I unreservedly apologize for coming across that way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

International Men's Day is Sunday, Nov 19, 2023. You've got plenty of time to coordinate with the big events coordinators, bloggers (Seraphim, etc.), and stores to get some events and celebrations planned.

Memorial Day tends to be celebrated in SL much as it is in RL - with sales and products.

As for the OP, I don't recall seeing anything for International Women's Day. I also would rather see these things planned by SL's communities themselves rather than LL (so we kind of failed on that one, methinks!), but that's just a personal thang.

This. I also remember some events on International Women's Day--not LL events, but put on by businesses and clubs. There were gifts and concerts. I went to one of them--they had a lineup of women singers and several gifts contributed by creators.

• Like 6

My 2 cents: Organize it, if you want to celebrate something in SL.
Get out of the lazy chair behind the keyboard, gather like minded people and start organizing things for it in SL.
It is not LL core business to organize all kinds of celebrations IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

[Snip]

We NEED Pride.

We NEED International Women's Day.

We NEED Juneteenth.

But more to the point, why can we not just take one frickin' day a year to highlight and show our love and respect for others who may be different from us?

Speaking of Juneteenth and international days, we could use an International Day for Liberty and Justice. Slavery still exists throughout the world. Other forms of discrimination and injustice toward various groups do too. If the United Nations could define this day vaguely enough so no one nation can take offense at it, it could be used as an opportunity to educate and protest specific human rights abuses all over the world.

Linden Lab would thus be safe in celebrating such a vaguely defined focus as well. It wouldn't be just to protest the unjust imprisionment of political opponents, religious minorities, LGBT+ people, social activists or conscientious objectors, for instance. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Tense correction
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Well...it could be beneficial for LL to do so.  They speak a lot about "community" now...and nothing builds community like organizing celebrations.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Seeing all the events and coverage around Pride Week in SL has been really great. I was wondering if SL does anything official for International Women's Day? I'm not always around SL or a regular basis so I may have completely missed anything that happened back in March when it was. 

I've never seen an official LL event and each year there are only few events (and stores) in SL that celebrate the IWD. My understanding is that the IWD on March 8th isn't so much a thing in the USA, and other countries as well, were a bunch of SL residents come from, but there are countries that celebrate it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day#Around_the_world

As an Italian, I celebrate it every year in SL too, with our traditional mimosa flowers. This year there was a big party also at Artsville, though.

I'd like an International Women's Day officially supported by Linden Lab for sure.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well...it could be beneficial for LL to do so.  They speak a lot about "community" now...and nothing builds community like organizing celebrations.

Such activities should IMHO start at the bottom and then grow towards something that LL could pick up and promote a bit (if it appeals to enough people).
"Hey, Linden Lab organize this, and this, and this, and don't forget that as well....." That is not the way it works IMHO.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Such activities should IMHO start at the bottom and then grow towards something that LL could pick up and promote a bit (if it appeals to enough people).
"Hey, Linden Lab organize this, and this, and this, and don't forget that as well....." That is not the way it works IMHO.

0fc.gif

• Like 4

Yeah, I hate to be cynical (perish the thought!) but I think the reason Pride month is such a big deal in SL, and made so much of by the Lab, is that it has huge commercial significance in-world. I don't even think that's a bad thing, it's just how people know a thing must be important: it's all over the stores. When International GPT Fortnight can fill a Shop & Hop, you got yourself a commemoration!

That said, I'd also guess LGBTQ2S+ might be overrepresented in SL, perhaps because SL offers a convenient venue for expression that isn't always easy and safe for some people, in some locations.

(FWIW, I'm all for everybody getting their day, in RL and SL, the more the merrier. Just this past week, though, I had my first ever RL experience counter-protesting transphobes marching on schools less than a mile from my house. My role was mostly ballast: I helped wave a street-wide rainbow flag for five hours straight, receiving some pretty vile invective from the Save Canada red-hats who punched a local politician and generally menaced the community. So yeah, this year I'm pretty fine with Pride getting a month in SL.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

As I was always under the impression that Second Life was all inclusive, I fail to see why we need any particular group of people singled out for celebration. We are all fabulous and worth celebrating in our own way, if only quietly, by ourselves, in our little real life hovels.

I think of it this way...we are not celebrating one group over another -- we are giving a bit more attention to a neglected group to bring them into balance with the rest of society.

Kind of how like how, say, you're a teacher, and you notice a student who seems withdrawn, seldom talking, separated from the rest of the group. You might casually mention "hey I like the dress you're wearing today" to validate their presence a bit. This would not mean you did not value anything about the other students who were not mentioned.

The LGBTQ+ community has been devalued...thought of as "less than" and not given the same rights as others have in society.
So a little lovin' is in order -- a celebration of their existence as it has been sorely lacking (and still is, as the over 500 US laws in process that are against them attest to).

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Sorry. To me this sounds more like the residents do all the [unpaid] work while LL reaps all benefits. Seems more than a bit one sided.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sorry. To me this sounds more like the residents do all the work while LL reaps all benefits. Seems more than a bit one sided.

Help promoting or endorse something existing is something different than reaping the benefits IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Help promoting or endorse something existing is something different than reaping the benefits IMHO.

Why would LL endorse and/or help to promote something that LL doesn't get some kind of benefit from? It is a business after all.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Why would LL endorse and/or help to promote something that LL doesn't get some kind of benefit from? It is a business after all.

Because things can be a good course, like Relay For Life.
A lot of companies have or try to have a social face too.

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Because things can be a good course, like Relay For Life.
A lot of companies have or try to have a social face too.

LL gets a good bit of benefit from RFL. LL stands to lose quite a bit of revenue if RFL were to ever close up shop. Think about that carefully before thinking LL wouldn't lose anything.

• Like 2

The main issue is, there are few International MONTHS.  It takes  planning and people to.organize any event done by LL so they probably choose those that are international rather than simply American and ones that encompass a month and not a particular day.  

As noted, I've seen events in the past for International this.or that days and even events for non international days but those are usually done by residents as they should be.

Disability Pride Month is celebrated in July around the globe.  I'd expect to see that month being advertised by LL before a particular DAY event but that's just me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Disability Pride Month is celebrated in July around the globe.  I'd expect to see that month being advertised by LL before a particular DAY event but that's just me.

That there is a month for something advertised as being around the globe, doesn't mean it is celebrated everywhere.
Never heard of it before to be honest.

And that is a bit the problem I guess: Each and every day, week, month is a day, week, month for something. One can't celebrate everything.

What is today?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Get out of the lazy chair behind the keyboard, gather like minded people and start organizing things for it in SL.

As I said in my first post, my question was specifically about LL's supporting International Women's Day. As a few have already pointed out, residents have had their own events in support of it so I don't think residents need to "get out of their lazy chair".

But I also haven't seen LL give airtime to it in the same way Pride has been. So keep up the good work LL, and let's see some equal airtime given to other groups facing discrimination.

image.png.cbf6142bf1a0982fae1c90f8c59a08be.png

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.