Does it say something about me if I feel more "vulnerable" as a woman avi?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought that it was that over every seven years we are different than the prior seven years..

Meaning that, during the next seven years things in our bodies will be constantly changing..

We don't completely change though.. I still have the same scars from when I was little.. hehehe

:P

My scars from childhood have faded, but they're still there. My fresher scars are invisible, but I feel them nearly constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, Luna Bliss said:

I can see that I have changed over the course of my lifetime, so why would that not be possible for others to do so?

Our long-term, million year old evolutionary traits (known as norms in the field) do not change, no. The thinking layer on top of that, morality and ethics that come out of our three uniquely human traits—death awareness, imagination, and complex language—can, yes. We do move the arrow very very very very slowly towards better change, but at the same time behave exactly like we did 10,000 years ago in the Fertile Crescent. We just hate on slightly different things these days.

As Justin Gregg points out in his recent book, If Nietzsche Were a Narwhal, people come up short.

We act irrationally, against our best interests as a species in both short- and long-term scenarios, because of these three unique attributes ... people come up short in terms of living decent, happy, content lives compared to most species of animals. We create pain and suffering intentionally, something no other species does. Additionally, we lie and deceive in a way no other species does ... to actually modify another human's behaviour. Every other animal deceives only for survival, that's the norms layer at work. And yes, I consider humans not a pinnacle, but rather just upright animals. Those three traits have helped create everything from civilization to art and music, along with genocide, lies, inequalities, warfare, division and strife. Billions have died and suffered because we are what we are.

But this is getting way off the OP question into more philosophy and behavioural studies about the human mind.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

people come up short in terms of living decent, happy, content lives compared to most species of animals.

Not meaning to nit pic but most wild animals have miserable lives. They have to struggle to survive on a daily basis, from finding food and water and often don't enjoy comfort, stability, or good health

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Not meaning to nit pic but most wild animals have miserable lives. They have to struggle to survive on a daily basis, from finding food and water and often don't enjoy comfort, stability, or good health

From your perspective. You can't know whether or not their lives are miserable. I would attribute this to humans more than animals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:
On 7/22/2023 at 11:25 AM, Luna Bliss said:

I can see that I have changed over the course of my lifetime, so why would that not be possible for others to do so?

Our long-term, million year old evolutionary traits (known as norms in the field) do not change, no. The thinking layer on top of that, morality and ethics that come out of our three uniquely human traits—death awareness, imagination, and complex language—can, yes. We do move the arrow very very very very slowly towards better change, but at the same time behave exactly like we did 10,000 years ago in the Fertile Crescent. We just hate on slightly different things these days.

As Justin Gregg points out in his recent book, If Nietzsche Were a Narwhal, people come up short.

We act irrationally, against our best interests as a species in both short- and long-term scenarios, because of these three unique attributes ... people come up short in terms of living decent, happy, content lives compared to most species of animals. We create pain and suffering intentionally, something no other species does. Additionally, we lie and deceive in a way no other species does ... to actually modify another human's behaviour. Every other animal deceives only for survival, that's the norms layer at work. And yes, I consider humans not a pinnacle, but rather just upright animals. Those three traits have helped create everything from civilization to art and music, along with genocide, lies, inequalities, warfare, division and strife. Billions have died and suffered because we are what we are.

But this is getting way off the OP question into more philosophy and behavioural studies about the human mind.

I don't subscribe to the scientific materialism worldview you're referencing here.
I'm more a Terence McKenna kind of gal.
Even the physical world is just an imagined one. Much like the icons on our computer screen are not what they denote, but instead only represent what they are denoting, the physical world is just an icon, a representation of something deeper. The physical world is malleable as much as the other levels you cite. And so there is nothing that cannot change.

This isn't to say humans are not going to come crashing down in the coming decades, and possiblly even become extinct.
But yes, I believe life overall progresses to become more conscious, and that this is possibly even the purpose of existence, although teleological frames of reference are varied and need to be examined fully. I'd more say it's just the nature of consciousness (consciousness as always present, and not a product of evolution, and life forms accessing this consciousness in varied ways according to their physical structure, but not absolutely limited by it).
In some ways humans are a "pinnacle", as you say, but in other ways not.

So yeah, for sure, our OP does not need to remain stuck due to past conditioning/socialization.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

From your perspective. You can't know whether or not their lives are miserable. I would attribute this to humans more than animals.

Just going off Scientific America. I guess the jury is still out on science, as it has been for 10 years or more now. 

Stress hormones are much higher in wild animals vs dmesticated. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

The difference is that animals don't know they're miserable IMO.  They don't feel sorry for themselves or blame their situation on other animals.  It's just how their life is and they accept it.  

Of course animals feel stress in certain situations.  But they generally do something about it.  They don't consciously blame it on humans or those other animals.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:
2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

people come up short in terms of living decent, happy, content lives compared to most species of animals.

It's possible though, that any life form would be happier by living in the present moment without concern for past and future, even if they did not have "comfort, stability, and good health".

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

They live shorter lives yes, but I think you are still projecting human ideals on animals that have no use for creature comforts.

image.png.2b0a5a6151daf4bfddedcbc4a8a2aa7c.png

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, Luna Bliss said:

You might try researching Aboriginal peoples (many still exist today that have not been so influenced by the Western mind of dog-eat-dog competitiveness).  They seek to exist in harmony with the world rather than conquer it.

This has given me much hope for humankind as their existence (past or present) is proof that our minds were not totally formed by evolution and unable to change.  It's not totally 'evolution' that made us (in the Western World) the way we are....it was socialization.  And socialization (basically a kind of  subconscious brainwashing received from those around us, often not deliberately) has the potential of being undone through human awareness and choosing what we believe is true.

Bringing this back to our OP's dilemma, if he can realize how he's been socialized to react in certain ways he has the opportunity to deny that brainwashing/socialization....and behave in new, more beneficial, ways.

People were separated from the rest of humanity for 40,000 to 50,000 years on a remote Island continent are of course going to have a different world view from the rest of us due to a difference in selective pressure. To put some perspective on it the Ancestors of the Australian Aboriginal people traveled to one of the world's most remote places when Both modern humans and Neadertalls were competing with each other in Europe they were an extremely intrepid people 

As as Anthropologist I am still wrapping my head around how this could have happened https://allthatsinteresting.com/ancient-australian-dna-south-america

But tribal instincts and including of "others" is a well documented anthropological phenominon we all do it and it is most assuredly not a thing distinct to "Western" cultures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Linnea Evergarden said:
On 7/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, Luna Bliss said:

You might try researching Aboriginal peoples (many still exist today that have not been so influenced by the Western mind of dog-eat-dog competitiveness).  They seek to exist in harmony with the world rather than conquer it.

This has given me much hope for humankind as their existence (past or present) is proof that our minds were not totally formed by evolution and unable to change.  It's not totally 'evolution' that made us (in the Western World) the way we are....it was socialization.  And socialization (basically a kind of  subconscious brainwashing received from those around us, often not deliberately) has the potential of being undone through human awareness and choosing what we believe is true.

Bringing this back to our OP's dilemma, if he can realize how he's been socialized to react in certain ways he has the opportunity to deny that brainwashing/socialization....and behave in new, more beneficial, ways.

People were separated from the rest of humanity for 40,000 to 50,000 years on a remote Island continent are of course going to have a different world view from the rest of us due to a difference in selective pressure. To put some perspective on it the Ancestors of the Australian Aboriginal people traveled to one of the world's most remote places when Both modern humans and Neadertalls were competing with each other in Europe they were an extremely intrepid people 

As as Anthropologist I am still wrapping my head around how this could have happened https://allthatsinteresting.com/ancient-australian-dna-south-america

But tribal instincts and including of "others" is a well documented anthropological phenominon we all do it and it is most assuredly not a thing distinct to "Western" cultures.

I LOVE studying the aboriginals of Australia...

Yes, I agree that "tribal instincts" were/are/can be in Aboriginal people as well.  But as I said in the second line of what you quoted:

"They seek to exist in harmony with the world rather than conquer it".

I think this is what's important when comparing the differences between the Western mindset and many Aboriginals. The Western mindset seems to always want more, more, more...whereas the mindset of many Aboriginal tribes seeks to live in balance with all that surrounds them.

There's actually a name given for the greedy mindset I'm speaking to -- Wetiko (virus of selfishness):

https://exploringyourmind.com/wetiko-virus-selfishness-native-americans/

Unfortunately, this selfishness is at work, labeling men and women in destructive ways that frequently limit their potential, as our OP has discovered how differently he feels when taking on the opposite gender.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Of course animals feel stress in certain situations.  But they generally do something about it.  They don't consciously blame it on humans or those other animals.

I think of animals that look like they are suffering, look like they are terrified, and wonder...do they really feel this or do I just think they do? I prefer to believe they really are scared and terrified and, if I can, I do something about it. I think of dogs, in particular, who are terrified of men or of sticks (or other objects that might be used as weapons) and wonder if maybe that dog was once abused by a man or beaten with a stick. I don't know, but I choose to believe that the animal remembers abuse and quite consciously puts the "blame" on men with weapons.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

I think of animals that look like they are suffering, look like they are terrified, and wonder...do they really feel this or do I just think they do? I prefer to believe they really are scared and terrified and, if I can, I do something about it. I think of dogs, in particular, who are terrified of men or of sticks (or other objects that might be used as weapons) and wonder if maybe that dog was once abused by a man or beaten with a stick. I don't know, but I choose to believe that the animal remembers abuse and quite consciously puts the "blame" on men with weapons.

They have many expressions similar to human emotional expressions. Widened eyes when fearful, for example.

I realized recently I'm teaching a kitty to look me in the eyes more. I'd read that for many animals looking at each other with a direct gaze is a sign of aggression, so I imagine that's why it's not natural for them.

But after many months my newest kitty is looking at me right in the eyes when I pet her  :)   So it appears I'm conditioning her and she's overcoming an instinctual response.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd more say it's just the nature of consciousness (consciousness as always present, and not a product of evolution, and life forms accessing this consciousness in varied ways according to their physical structure, but not absolutely limited by it).

I've found this to be an interesting concept in the past, such as perhaps evolution is being driven by the will of a universal law we simply are not aware of yet, but is just as inherent to the laws of nature as gravity is.  The drive behind survival, not being something that arose from complexity but was always there, pushing the universe into an expression of itself.  It is really fascinating to think about.  It would be a source we all draw upon, and is necessary for life to exist to begin with.

There was a point in my life where I was a pretty hardened materialist, which refused any possibility of souls by any definition, we were all just more or less meat machines acting upon input and output, but that stubborn awareness of existing and being able to experience emotions, thoughts, sensations, etc, always nagged at me.  When questioning it, I was often told it was just a hallucination, that it was not real, the feeling I assume we all have was said to be just an illusion.

The question to me then became, how can an illusion fool itself?  What is there to fool, if it doesn't exist?  Is the illusion capable of self perspective?  Then of course, I started to consider the possibilities that I would exist at all, which I shouldn't by all accounts, I should not exist out of all of the variables that had to line up perfectly, it is just nearly impossible, like winning the lottery probably thousands of times in a row when you consider how every single thing had to line up just right for even life to begin on this planet, not to mention the planet to being formed in the first place, then you have the eventual evolution of humans, followed by just the right people being born at the right time, and so on.

Now I don't know what to think, if there are souls, if there is some universal law we draw upon, if it is just chance, perhaps I am an illusion that is really good at fooling itself, who knows?  I certainly don't 😅 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Then of course, I started to consider the possibilities that I would exist at all, which I shouldn't by all accounts, I should not exist out of all of the variables that had to line up perfectly, it is just nearly impossible, like winning the lottery probably thousands of times in a row when you consider how every single thing had to line up just right for even life to begin on this planet, not to mention the planet to being formed in the first place, then you have the eventual evolution of humans, followed by just the right people being born at the right time, and so on.

This wonder, that we are even here. I think if we felt this deep in our bones all the time we'd do nothing but cry and bow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A study of dogs, wolves and chimpanzees showed that dogs (which have evolved among humans) are better at reading human facial expressions than either chimpanzees or wolves are. Humans and chimpanzees are capable of reading each other's emotions to some extent though. 

Being able to read each other's emotions means we feel similar emotions. It's a kind of cognitive empathy. Anyone who's owned a dog or cat knows they feel emotions. Watching a wolf pack also shows they feel and relate to emotions. Animals that play - mammals and birds especially - show intelligence and emotions too.

A wild wolf shows it's happy when it's playing by itself or with other wolves. It shows discomfort when it has fleas or an injury. It shows affection for its offspring and packmates. It shows grief when a packmate is killed. They experience many of the same emotions that we do, and as such, I think they experience a similar kind of fullness to life that we do. I think they feel love for their family, as well as resentment, fear and grief.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Punky Starchild said:

Anyone who feels "vulnerable" in SL is nuts. Sorry but true. It's a cartoon.

So, if SL has no effects on you, emotionally, intellectually, or otherwise . . .

. . . what exactly brings you to this particular "cartoon"? What are doing here or getting out of it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Punky Starchild said:

A man with a woman avatar is very cool, fun and fine by me but to feel vulnerable or fear is crazy. Nothing can hurt you wether you are maleor female. If I am a cat in SL should I feel vulnerable to dog attacks????? People need to get a grip on reality.

You're not answering my question.

Of course no one is getting physically attacked here. We're not stupid.

But there are many other kinds of "vulnerability."

I asked you if there is anything in SL that effects you emotionally or intellectually?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Punky Starchild said:

Yes, people like you trying to stir the pot and get me into a verbal Wimbledon! I don't care enough for that to happen. Chow!

Lol. "People like me."

I am stirring the pot? You popped in here just long enough to make an ill-considered assertion that basically labels anyone who has ever felt vulnerable here a deluded idiot.

But *I* am stirring the pot.

Byeeeeee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.