And yet another set of last names and yet again not really for general use.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:28 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

On the subject of Names, refresh my memory (I still have DRAM): when I was a cub - and last names existed (long before "Resident"), I'm pretty sure we also either a) had to pick first names from a list, or b) first names were checked to see "if allowed".  (Then with either a or b, the combination had to be available / unused). 

Isrite? Or memory chip fail?

No, we had to choose our own first names out of our own tiny little brains and then choose a last name from a list of 25 surnames, some whimsical, some normal.

LL should have gone back to that, and they could still have charged for a name change.

The only time a name was rejected is when the person logged into the grid with an offensive name and someone ARed it.

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No they weren't. You didn't check .. one was active right now, many were used, lots were trademarks and would beg legal to sign off on them and at least one was copyrighted by the mouse.

The bulk of the unused names were the international or ethnic equivalents of "Smith" which will never make the list because it's insensitive bordering on insulting.

I did check, so I missed one or two, and no many weren't used, you are exaggerating. I went through the list and checked against the list of past last names, all the ones I searched for hadn't been used.

Also, just because YOU don't want standard last names, doesn't mean others feel the same way. You aren't the only avatar in the village. Im wholly supportive of fun, quirky and silly last names. I just want some normal ones for a change instead of gimmicky ones, a healthy balance of the two. Same as what other people in this thread have stated they want.

As for your repeated, only argument, "equivalent of smith". Im pretty sure that there are already tons of names on the historical list that meet that definition. It's not anything new and hardly insensitive, there are cultures on SL beyond whatever your culture is.

I really do think you need to be less of a sour puss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, elleevelyn said:

the biggest hassle with the then Last Name method, was that not all available last names would show up in the drop down pick list. I think was limited to about 20 (or however many it was for a drop list in those days).

Refreshing the page would bring up another set of names that were different than the first 25. There were only 2 pages of names for a total of no more than 50.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Everybody else should celebrate your birthday! Sid Nagy Day!

Okay.
April 31.
Deal. I buy the cake, chips and beverages.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, benchthis said:

Several users in several topics have expressed desire for more professional names added to the last name list below. Professional clients would appreciate more professional names. Baker, Builder, Mesher, Scripter, Animator, Reanimator, Texture, Sculptor, Coder, Data, Nano, Writer, Reader, Glasses, Monocle, Pleasent, Triumph, Epic, Hero. 

image.thumb.png.cfb6a4861e9ad752755d16e68a57d99e.png

What the hell is a Primdashian? 😆

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I did check, so I missed one or two, and no many weren't used, you are exaggerating. I went through the list and checked against the list of past last names, all the ones I searched for hadn't been used.

Yet you failed to appreciate that there might be reasons why Captain GPT-Obvious's suggestions weren't in the list.

Have LL really added thousands of names and completely missed the most obvious ones? Perhaps for nefarious or inept reasons?

Thousands of entries spanning well over a decade with many authors that are not copyrighted, or owned by a mega corporation, and half the time not even actual words lets alone names, while ignoring that the vast bulk of all names are not in anyway silly or novelty.

What could the possible reasons for missing most of your list of obvious "normal" names be.

It's actually really simple - There are rules and restrictions for names that we are not privy to. 

The current name list is balanced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The bulk of the unused names were the international or ethnic equivalents of "Smith" which will never make the list because it's insensitive bordering on insulting

My rl last name is one of the original sl last names. It too is the equivalent of a smith and a very common name. I don't find it remotely insulting. I find it insulting that you think I should be insulted by it being chosen as a last name though. Not your place to decide for other people whether or not their last name is insulting-do better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yet you failed to appreciate that there might be reasons why Captain GPT-Obvious's suggestions weren't in the list.

Chat GPT is irrelevant. It was a tool used to prove a point of how simple it could be to find more adult, normal, last names. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have LL really added thousands of names and completely missed the most obvious ones? Perhaps for nefarious or inept reasons?

I never said anything about nefarious, those are your words, not mine. And yes, there are pretty large selection of names out there that LL has not chosen. To think they covered everything is asinine.

Thousands of entries spanning well over a decade with many authors that are not copyrighted, or owned by a mega corporation, and half the time not even actual words lets alone names, while ignoring that the vast bulk of all names are not in anyway silly or novelty.

I don't believe I ever mentioned the current list, I was talking about the trend of only releasing gimmicky new names. Plus, some of the entries on that list have been there since near the beginning of the new last names.

What could the possible reasons for missing most of your list of obvious "normal" names be.

It's actually really simple - There are rules and restrictions for names that we are not privy to. 

Again, it was proving a point of how easy it could be to find last names, that are normal, that haven't been used.

The current name list is balanced.

See further up.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

My rl last name is one of the original sl last names. It too is the equivalent of a smith and a very common name. I don't find it remotely insulting. I find it insulting that you think I should be insulted by it being chosen as a last name though. Not your place to decide for other people whether or not their last name is insulting-do better. 

Funnily enough I have the exact same thing. My RL last name is one of the previous used last names. I could care less xD

21 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Funnily enough I have the exact same thing. My RL last name is one of the previous used last names. I could care less xD

I see people with my last name sometimes in sl and it makes me smile. In rl there is actually someone who works at my company with the same last name-no relation-that doesn't necessarily make me smile when I see or hear it at work. In sl though-I kind of like it sometimes. For someone to suggest it is or should be insensitive or insulting to me is just asinine. I'm pretty sure I've worked out for myself when I can and cannot be offended-I don't like others trying to decide that for me.

Aside from that-it's a really stupid thing to get hung up on. It's a total sjw thing to white knight for others and decide their own last name being present in an online place should be seen as insensitive or insulting them them-how lame. 

Edited by Caeruleiae
  • Thanks 1

Back when LL announced the retirement of last names, I rushed to create an alt using a silly first name that would go well with some of the last available last names. I got more than 2 pages of choices.  I just kept refreshing until the best candidate presented itself.  I like word play. 

Btw, it's not THIS account.  

I created a couple of alts after last names were gone, but I'm not going to pay to get them hooked up with the available last names, as they are mostly either unsuitable or completely idiotic.   Someone at LL was on a hallucinogenic drug when they thought they would honor us with any potential last name ending in "...dashian." 

6 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

There are still plenty available for use as a last name in SL. The ones I listed in a prior post that I asked Chat GPT for were all unused. Its not as difficult as you might think to come up with some new, more adult surnames.

Yeah, those were pretty good.  

When, I try I mostly get very old sounding names like something for Vampires or something out of Jane Erye.  

When I try modern human names last names for video games - I got something like this list below.

I think what people want is something modern for today's humans, rather than names that sound like for a roleplay character.  Most times I try for unusual or rare names for video games they sound very futuristic (Sci-Fi).  The key is to get to modern names for humans, I think, and I just haven't had enough time to play with it.   

When it comes to selecting sensible last names for human characters in video games, it's important to consider the setting and genre of the game. Here are some general suggestions for last names that might work well in a variety of video game contexts:

1. Smith
  2. Johnson
  3. Rodriguez
  4. Chen
  5. Singh
  6. Jones
  7. Brown
  8. Kim
  9. Garcia
  10. Hernandez
  • Like 1

Eh, the Cognoscenti on the forums always trash the new last names but I gotta tell you, every time there's a name drop, I see a whole bunch of my tenants changing their names to the new ones. There are a lot of mermaids in SL, look at Fantasy Faire underwater especially.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Eh, the Cognoscenti on the forums always trash the new last names but I gotta tell you, every time there's a name drop, I see a whole bunch of my tenants changing their names to the new ones. There are a lot of mermaids in SL, look at Fantasy Faire underwater especially.

Well, mermaids yeah, these names are for mermaids. 

Although I said in this thread I like the name Merrow for a human modern woman's first name.  And I like Blep and Fibble for first name's for Dinkies as that sounds perfect for Dinkies.  But, most aren't role-playing.  They just want a modern human name me thinks.  The list of names does sound more for role-play characters than anything to me.  It's a matter of opinion and preference.  I did like the old last names of SL of years and years ago that we got to pick from a list.  Yes, some of the names on the list sounded like something from a Jane Austen novel but not all did.  

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:03 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

I think it is a good thing that LL caters to all kinds of groups within SL. That is not the problem.

The problem is that LL IMHO doesn't cater the mainstream folks enough.
Names like Vandervoort are great for general use (not saying this because of the Dutch origin of the word). But there are far to little of them.  I think there should be at least 10 of that kind at any given time in the list.
Not everybody wants to shell out 40 USD to be funny, witty, snarky, corny.... there are folks who just want a sound solid last name.

Every time I read about new last names I hope to find a few of those, but meh ....

Sid Nagy it is, Sid Nagy it stays I guess, although I've had enough of my last name for the last decade. I no longer bother. Ah well 40 USD saved.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Again, it was proving a point of how easy it could be to find last names, that are normal, that haven't been used.

Which means that when you're creating a name from scratch if you type it in using the format "FirstnameLastname" you've got a very good chance of getting exactly what you want, or at least something in your personal "okay" list.

Because it isn't a big deal to hit the shift key. Some people do it as many as six times in one name...

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

On 5/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, Sid Nagy said:

Okay.
April 31.
Deal. I buy the cake, chips and beverages.

My birthday's in November, so I'll do the same on Nov 31st. 😆

ETA: I'm still waiting for "Lincoln" as a last name. Yes, I've submitted it. Yes, they've ignored it. No, it's not stupid enough to be actually chosen. No, I do not have a fetish for Abraham Lincoln, it's just the name of the city where I was born.

As soon as it gets in the list, they have a guaranteed sale of at least one.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.