And yet another set of last names and yet again not really for general use.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Punky Starchild said:

Most of the names available are rediculous.

Unless it's a special limited edition theme name like these mer ones, someone somewhere used the “suggest a name” form on the blog page to suggest the “ridiculous” available last names and LL chose to use them. if you don't like what's on offer you can use the form to make your own suggestions 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Unless it's a special limited edition theme name like these mer ones, someone somewhere used the “suggest a name” form on the blog page to suggest the “ridiculous” available last names and LL chose to use them. if you don't like what's on offer you can use the form to make your own suggestions 

It is LL and no one else who decides the direction.
You can submit names until Eastern and Christmas happen to fall on the same day, if it is not up the alley for LL it will not happen.
They have a tendency to pick names that are only meant to make jokes or witty remarks with them.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Small text improvements.
  • Like 6

I don't mind the silly nature of SL last names, it's fun and a lot better than the old school lists of mediocre names we we're forced to chose from.

People really did look at the last name list, decide they were all junk, and quit the signup process in significant numbers.

My problem now is that names are expensive and I would really like the ability to switch between previously purchased names with no charge or penalty.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I would really like the ability to switch between previously purchased names with no charge or penalty.

^^^^^^ This is a great idea!  When you pay for a name it gets assigned to your AV. There should be a way to get that name back without having to pay for another name change (as we all know it really does not cost that much cause it's all automated). In order to avoid abuse only allow a "reversion name change" each seven days just like display names.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

^^^^^^ This is a great idea!  When you pay for a name it gets assigned to your AV. There should be a way to get that name back without having to pay for another name change (as we all know it really does not cost that much cause it's all automated). In order to avoid abuse only allow a "reversion name change" each seven days just like display names.

Exactly this.

• Like 4

Not sure I like the "change back with no fee" unless there's a minimum waiting period following a name change. Already I don't know who half the people are on my Friends list and that'll get even worse if folks can shuffle freely among a bevy of past names any time it strikes their fancy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Another vote for the above. I thought exactly the same when I read than our previous names will not be reallocated and can always be reverted to... by paying again.

They will not let that happen I'm afraid.
Name change fees are vanity fees. And we all know that vanity is big business in SL.
Never slaughter the goose with the golden eggs.

• Like 6

The lab doesn't listen, people like myself have been saying for the longest time now....give us some normal names. Or at least ones that aren't mega gimmicky. At this point, I can only assume that they don't really care about it and want to put out the stupidest names imaginable as they know someone, somewhere, will buy them. It's sad really, what was once a free feature that had a huge assortment of names, is now a paid for gimmick. I want some simple last names, good for the standard every day avatar. Or, stop being plebs and just open the archive of previous names. Who really is going to care? I wouldn't, id be happy to see people with my other accounts last name. Would be a better idea than struggling along with the lists of stupid they keep releasing.

I have a feeling I know who picks these names and I wish that person would read these threads and remember what it was like to be a non linden SL resident. And remember what its like when the community is trying to tell the lab something and they just flat out do not listen, and only care about what they think is right, not what the community wants.

Iv noticed this kind of thing and other weirdness quite a bit in the various development circles I'm part of that this person engages with. For instance, iv seen some people make absolutely awesome experiences, show them to this person and seldom get a mention anywhere. Others who are in the inner favourites circle, can make a half assed experience with a couple trees and regularly make the front page, simply because favouritism.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There are plenty of "bland average" names in the list.

All the pushback really seems like people who aren't going to participate telling others to STOP HAVING FUN

And those haven't really changed, it's not about whether or not someone wants to tell others to "stop having fun". By all means, if you want a silly name, have at it. There are just those of us who don't particularly want the last name "OhMyBigglesCake" or w/e nonsense they release next. The key is building a balanced set of names, some fun, some normal and then rotating sets of those in and out on a regular basis. That isn't happening, what's actually happening is that gimmick names are being released over and over and over and catering ONLY to those that wish to have gimmick names on their avatars. There are some names on the list that have been there since the list was created that could be replaced with other names catering to other residents.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Sure it is .. person with an entirely sensible and normal name.

This is an alt I created for the forums, it was to test something, this isn't my in world name. Also, why are you being such a sourpuss, did I insult your friend when I hinted at the person who chooses these names?

The brain boffin in the name department could even ask chat GPT....these are pretty cool and never before used...

I asked it to generate some normal, community based and fun names that did not appear on this list: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Current_Last_Names

This is a selection what it came up with....

Sensible last names:
Thornhill
Waverly
Carmichael
Barrington
Hargreaves
MacKenzie
Windslow
Ashford
Huntington
Gupta

Last names that cater to specific communities:
Wuong (Chinese community)
Qiu (Chinese community)
Pattel (Indian community)
Kimura (Japanese community)
OMalley (Irish community)
Luong (Vietnamese community)
Otaku (anime community)
Fluffernutter (furry community)
Ravenwood (gothic community)
Mystique (mystical community)
Hocus (magical community)

Fun last names:
Dinglehopper
Snickerdoodle
Bloop
Fluffernutter
Pudding
Wigglesworth
Snugglebutt
Bippitybop
Skedaddle
Ticklepickle
Hootenanny

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

why are you being such a sourpuss

The same song and dance about the same thing from the same people every time new names come out is just pointless.

Oh no .. someone inside LL added cute names to the list. Down with this sort of thing. Booo .. Booooooo!

... and you're calling me the sourpuss. Seriously.

1 minute ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Sensible last names:
Beauchamp (EXISTS)
Thornhill (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Waverly (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Carmichael (EXISTS)
Barrington (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Hargreaves (ACTUAL TRADEMARK SQUATTERS!!)
MacKenzie (EXISTS)
Windslow (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Ashford (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Huntington (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Gupta (LIVE RIGHT NOW)

Last names that cater to specific communities:
Wuong (Chinese community)
Qiu (Chinese community)
Pattel (Indian community)
Kimura (Japanese community) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
OMalley (Irish community)
Luong (Vietnamese community)
Otaku (anime community) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Fluffernutter (furry community) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Ravenwood (gothic community) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Mystique (mystical community) (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Hocus (magical community)

Fun last names:
Dinglehopper (COPYRIGHT DISNEY!!)
Snickerdoodle (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Bloop (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Pudding (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Wigglesworth
Snugglebutt
Bippitybop
Skedaddle (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Ticklepickle (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)
Hootenanny (REGISTERED TRADEMARK)

So, after all that, you're left with a few silly names to loudly complain about, or the international equivalents of "Smith".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Two of the best avatar names I saw on SL were Disco Biscuit and Crispin Oodles 🙂

I don't really get Seafarer though, aren't they the humans that the mermaids lure over the side? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't really get Seafarer though, aren't they the humans that the mermaids lure over the side? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A "seafarer" is just anyone who travels ("fares") on or across "the sea"! 

Like, a "sailor". Or "seaman" (but not gendered).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't know what you're talking about. 😄

smile-ryan-reynolds.gif

And um, yeah. I'm never changing my name. I'm way too cheap for that, despite all of the fun ways I can think of to use "Quack."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oddly enough, I like some of these last names AS first names - a lot.  

First names from the list I'd like are: 

Merrow - that sounds like a pretty first name for any type of avatar

Corvinus - sounds like a good first name for a Vampire

And, Absinthe - sounds like a good name for a Fairy or Elf.

It's very difficult getting hardly any name people want to start in SL nowadays.  A SL friend and I were talking about this and she said it is and that her daughter had to make up a name.  That's pretty much what you have to do, and then perhaps you can buy one that you like better but they do need more appealing names as I don't like Blep, Fibble, Cogtail - these are too silly sounding to me like name's in a Children's book.  

That's called difference in taste, that's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The same song and dance about the same thing from the same people every time new names come out is just pointless.

Oh no .. someone inside LL added cute names to the list. Down with this sort of thing. Booo .. Booooooo!

... and you're calling me the sourpuss. Seriously.

So, after all that, you're left with a few silly names to loudly complain about, or the international equivalents of "Smith".

Absinthe is also a registered trademark but is a current last name available.  Trademarked names, AFAIK, refer to naming businesses or a product and not a.last name.  That would be kind.of silly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Absinthe is also a registered trademark but is a current last name available.  Trademarked names, AFAIK, refer to naming businesses or a product and not a.last name.  That would be kind.of silly.

it's also a fairly generic long standing term thats not directly associated with a single brand.  We don't have a "Ford" even though it's a perfectly valid name all in it's own right for one corporation sized obvious reason.

Copyrights are DOA, trademarks are likely pause for thought.

It's no accident that the last name list has a lot of spelling errors, made up word like words, first names, place names and straight up common nouns.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Current_Last_Names

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

it's also a fairly generic long standing term thats not directly associated with a single brand.  We don't have a "Ford" even though it's a perfectly valid name all in it's own right for one corporation sized obvious reason.

Copyrights are DOA, trademarks are likely pause for thought.

It's no accident that the last name list has a lot of spelling errors, made up word like words, first names, place names and straight up common nouns.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Current_Last_Names

Waverly is also a trademarked name that is used for numerous other places besides.the textile company.   I get the point you're trying to make but using names in that list wouldn't be a trademark violation.  Most were actual last names long before they were trademarked for a business.

Just don't try it with Disney.  😁

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.