And yet another set of last names and yet again not really for general use.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On the subject of Names, refresh my memory (I still have DRAM): when I was a cub - and last names existed (long before "Resident"), I'm pretty sure we also either a) had to pick first names from a list, or b) first names were checked to see "if allowed".  (Then with either a or b, the combination had to be available / unused). 

Isrite? Or memory chip fail?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There are plenty of "bland average" names in the list.

All the pushback really seems like people who aren't going to participate telling others to STOP HAVING FUN

Nobody says here to have no witty last names.
But the mix should be a lot better. 50-50 for instance. And the ones at the wheel should remember that not all residents are Anglo-American either.

Just like you want the fun, others want a normal last name for their personal reasons.
It is just like if you have a fruit stall on a market. You get the best results with a good mix of fruit.
Only selling $40 batches of one kind of fruit isn't the best strategy available.

Edited by Sid Nagy
My early morning English needed some improvement.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want another name for a longer time already, but I gave up long time ago to visit the last name page regularly because
A  There is a trend of wittiness that I'm not looking for.
B  The choice is very limited. Is a longer list to choose from, with more variety, really so expensive for the Lab to maintain?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson pops her head up.

You know, a lot of things people are asking for here are exactly what "display names" already are...

Theresa Tennyson pops back down.

* perks, wondering if this is a "WHACK-A-MOLE" game! *

2B60928E-401B-43F8-9CF0-42B3E65BB010.jpeg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On the subject of Names, refresh my memory (I still have DRAM): when I was a cub - and last names existed (long before "Resident"), I'm pretty sure we also either a) had to pick first names from a list, or b) first names were checked to see "if allowed".  (Then with either a or b, the combination had to be available / unused). 

Let me try to remember what I do remember.  A) is no.  We did not have to pick our first name from a list.  It was B) Our first names were checked to see if allowed just like now with Resident.  

But, we had to pick our last name from a list.

So, I don't remember entirely how it worked either.  I think b with combination last name had to be okayed too as available.

I kind of remember as soon as I got my first name okayed, it was easy to have the last name okayed.

Why they wanted to stop last names altogether and have everyone be Resident, I'm not sure why they did that.  What was the purpose?  It makes getting a name near impossible without making some crazy name.  

But, again, the last name came from a list of choices that was generated to us.  We didn't get to make up our own last name, not that I recall, we had to pick from the list.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

Yep, whyever they killed the last names is something I will never understand. It's what made SL different to many other platforms back then, you felt really special and actually thought a while about your name before entering it. It was feeling like starting a second life for real. And they killed it. The only decision I never understood and still really think was the most stupid thing to do, ever. Now it's just like with any other platforms, nothing special at all...and the resident names for sure are often really horrible x3

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Yep, whyever they killed the last names is something I will never understand. It's what made SL different to many other platforms back then, you felt really special and actually thought a while about your name before entering it. It was feeling like starting a second life for real. And they killed it. The only decision I never understood and still really think was the most stupid thing to do, ever. Now it's just like with any other platforms, nothing special at all...and the resident names for sure are often really horrible x3

I almost named myself LMFAOalltehgoodnamesaretaken when creating this account but settled on lolzlulz because it takes up fewer letters. XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was there a reason we couldn't pick our first names AND second names? 🤔 Then people could have made their names as serious or wacky as they liked...I had an Inworldz account and they let you pick your surname (though I never used it very much).

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson pops her head up.

You know, a lot of things people are asking for here are exactly what "display names" already are...

Theresa Tennyson pops back down.

Nope. It is far from the same.
For instance here on the forums you can't use your display name.
On the marketplace you can't sell under your display name.
In world you can't control whether or not the other persons see you display name or your username or both.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Was there a reason we couldn't pick our first names AND second names? 🤔 Then people could have made their names as serious or wacky as they liked...I had an Inworldz account and they let you pick your surname (though I never used it very much).

A lot of artists and big brands would not be really happy with that I guess.

Britney234067 Spears and all the lower number variations ....
Hopeless Heineken
Tonedeaf Carey
Tasteless Corona
Cardboard McDonalds
Watery Budweiser 

.... you name it.
I expect a lot of legal trouble in that case.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

A lot of artists and big brands would not be really happy with that I guess.

Britney234067 Spears and all the lower number variations ....
Hopeless Heineken
Tonedeaf Carey
Tasteless Corona
Cardboard McDonalds
Watery Budweiser 

.... you name it.
I expect a lot of legal trouble in that case.

They could still make "HopelessHeineken Resident" or "CardboardMcDonalds Resident" etc now. Not much difference, except for an extra space..

Edited by Maitimo
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2023 at 2:28 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't see a reply yet..

My fuzzy memory is, I chose "Love" from a list.  Or, could we use whatever we wanted (with some kind of filter on bad words) for First Names back in the old days of Last Names before "Resident"?

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't see a reply yet..

My fuzzy memory is, I chose "Love" from a list.  Or, could we use whatever we wanted (with some kind of filter on bad words) for First Names back in the old days of Last Names before "Resident"?

We could pick whatever first name we wanted and a surname from the list provided. If the first name plus last name combo existed in the system you had to either choose a different first name or a different surname. That’s what I remember!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

pretty much yes

the biggest hassle with the then Last Name method, was that not all available last names would show up in the drop down pick list. I think was limited to about 20 (or however many it was for a drop list in those days). And each time we refreshed the page the list would re-populate with a new list of selections from the available pool

so if there was a last name we were particularly wanting for an alt, we would keep on refreshing the page til it showed up. Which further added to the zillion times new accounts were abandoned without completing account creation. Refreshing the page forced an abandonment and a start over. (something I am not sure that the then product leaders ever fully considered when wondering why account creation was abandoned so frequently)

Edited by elleevelyn
pick
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

pretty much yes

the biggest hassle with the then Last Name method, was that not all available last names would show up in the drop down pick list. I think was limited to about 20 (or however many it was for a drop list in those days). And each time we refreshed the page the list would re-populate with a new list of selections from the available pool

so if there was a last name we were particularly wanting for an alt, we would keep on refreshing the page til it showed up. Which further added to the zillion times new accounts were abandoned without completing account creation. Refreshing the page forced an abandonment and a start over. (something I am not sure that the then product leaders ever fully considered when wondering why account creation was abandoned so frequently)

It was a list of names to scroll down no refreshing, but some names were regional limited or time limited. And we were always able to chose our first name, that's why my name is Gwin she was named after my very first Dungeons and Dragon's character I made back in 1989 when my 6yo best friend and now RL and SL husband asked 6yo me to try this "American game" with him x3 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

It was a list of names to scroll down no refreshing, but some names were regional limited or time limited

the list of last names was limited to the capacity of the list control, which was less than the total number of available names. If the last name you wanted wasn't in the list then you had to refresh the page so that the list control would repopulate with a new "random" set of names from the pool of all available names

edit add. To be fair the list re-population was semi-random. The latest added last names appeared more frequently in the list control than did more aged (yet still available) names

Edited by elleevelyn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nope. It is far from the same.
For instance here on the forums you can't use your display name.
On the marketplace you can't sell under your display name.
In world you can't control whether or not the other persons see you display name or your username or both.

This is a good thing.

It gives you the opportunity to have a distinct in world only name for roleplay purposes. Trust me on this, you don't want to see many of those roleplay names here or on the marketplace (as wonderfully artful as they can be ^^).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Nope. For me in 2007 it was alphabetically ordered. I remember because a friend gave up at B like Bing and I started from aaaall the way down and scrolled myself until I ended at the L section XD 

Same for me, I definitely remember the entire list being visible (I would remember having to refresh).

I also started at "Z" (for a more "memorable" name).

• Like 2

you remembering it wrong :)

back in the day the web list control could not do on-demand scrolling like the web list control can do today. The then control had a fixed length limit downloaded as a data blob, which was less in size than the total of all available names

i know thiis as I wanted to get last name Loxely for a roleplay purpose. A last name that I knew was available. It took me quite a number of refreshes to get last name Loxely in the control list.  When it did show up I type in Marion as first name and submit. Response was name unavailable. Try another name.  So I did and it took me back to the choose a name page which refreshed the list. The name Loxely was not in the list. So refresh and refresh again til it showed up, and then tried 3 more times with variations of Marion as first name til it accepted one of them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.