And yet another set of last names and yet again not really for general use.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, elleevelyn said:

you remembering it wrong :)

back in the day the web list control could not do on-demand scrolling like the web list control can do today. The then control had a fixed length limit downloaded as a data blob, which was less in size than the total of all available names

i know thiis as I wanted to get last name Loxely for a roleplay purpose. A last name that I knew was available. It took me quite a number of refreshes to get last name Loxely in the control list.  When it did show up I type in Marion as first name and submit. Response was name unavailable. Try another name.  So I did and it took me back to the choose a name page which refreshed the list. The name Loxely was not in the list. So refresh and refresh again til it showed up, and then tried 3 more times with variations of Marion as first name til it accepted one of them

All I wanted to say is, I can relate to this.  It was difficult to get the name you really wanted even 15 years or so ago.  I remember the above now, too.  Try and try again to get 'something' close to what I wanted but it wasn't actually what I wanted.  

There could, in reality, really be endless names available with the changing of a letter here or there.  It shouldn't have to be this difficult to get somewhat of a good name one wants today but it is.  One practically has to make up a name but it really shouldn't have to be that hard.  I bet ChatGPT could generate all kinds of cool names and in milliseconds as well.  Now, it's make up a name like RemmyFleurAreogan  Resident or some just odd name like my example.  People could use ChatGpt and see if it generates some unusual first names now for newbies to use but I'm sure they'd be names most of us never heard before but, at least, the darned SL name system would let us have somewhat of a pronounceable name.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, Sid Nagy said:

They will not let that happen I'm afraid.
Name change fees are vanity fees. And we all know that vanity is big business in SL.
Never slaughter the goose with the golden eggs.

Users in SL like collecting things. I love the idea. Seems logical when purchasing multiple names offered over the years to be able to keep them, not lose them; and toggle them. Wearing a special last name does not currently have any advantages yet. If they had advantages, there would be more reason to collect them. Maybe a last name will have content associated with it that is specific to them? Maybe they will unlock access to regions, events, (insert imagination here).

I used to go to slnamewatch.com to track which last names were available and which portals were offering them (there were multiple sign-up pages around in those days and name choices would vary between them). It was a little bit like Game of Homes, having to refresh till the name you wanted came up. And it was free! I miss those days.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:08 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

The brain boffin in the name department could even ask chat GPT....these are pretty cool and never before used...

I asked it to generate some normal, community based and fun names that did not appear on this list: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Current_Last_Names

This is a selection what it came up with....

Sensible last names:
Thornhill
Waverly
Carmichael
Barrington
Hargreaves
MacKenzie
Windslow
Ashford
Huntington
Gupta

Last names that cater to specific communities:
Wuong (Chinese community)
Qiu (Chinese community)
Pattel (Indian community)
Kimura (Japanese community)
OMalley (Irish community)
Luong (Vietnamese community)
Otaku (anime community)
Fluffernutter (furry community)
Ravenwood (gothic community)
Mystique (mystical community)
Hocus (magical community)

Fun last names:
Dinglehopper
Snickerdoodle
Bloop
Fluffernutter
Pudding
Wigglesworth
Snugglebutt
Bippitybop
Skedaddle
Ticklepickle
Hootenanny

Several users in several topics have expressed desire for more professional names added to the last name list below. Professional clients would appreciate more professional names. Baker, Builder, Mesher, Scripter, Animator, Reanimator, Texture, Sculptor, Coder, Data, Nano, Writer, Reader, Glasses, Monocle, Pleasent, Triumph, Epic, Hero. 

image.thumb.png.cfb6a4861e9ad752755d16e68a57d99e.png

Edited by benchthis
  • Thanks 1

I don't :) and it was sorted like I said for me I just could scroll through it all! I talked to some friends that started with me back then and we all agree on this point ;) maybe it was different for you or for people not knowing you could get a new list by refreshing :) those were like dooozens of names alphabetacilly sorted and it was just enough for me (not even knowing about more cause first avatar)

Edit: @elleevelyn

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

12 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

I wish we could make up our own last name - within reason.   They don't have the one I want!  🤣

Same x3 I really would like a new last name but non clicked with me so far 😭 sausage was a close call tho 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Now we know what to get Sid for his birthday...a Mariah Carey CD and a Big Mac, followed by a trip to the Heineken brewery 🙂

Did I ever mention here, that I never celebrate my birthday?
😇

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, benchthis said:

Several users in several topics have expressed desire for more professional names added to the last name list below. Professional clients would appreciate more professional names. Baker, Builder, Mesher, Scripter, Animator, Reanimator, Texture, Sculptor, Coder, Data, Nano, Writer, Reader, Glasses, Monocle, Pleasent, Triumph, Epic, Hero. 

Sadly they won't, they are only interested in gimmick names these days. Pretty sure its fathers day soon so heavy money on the gimmick father names being next 😒.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Sadly they won't, they are only interested in gimmick names these days. Pretty sure its fathers day soon so heavy money on the gimmick father names being next 😒.

It's Mother's Day in May and Father's Day in June...soooo Mommie's Muffins is probably on it's way.   

On a more serious note, I think there are no human, modern names available anymore.

Even when I ask ChatGpt to generate me unknown female names for video games (yeah I wrote video games because I didn't know what else to ask ChatGpt at this time) and all the names seem to be either from centuries ago, like Medieval Days, or Sci-Fi type names that ChatGpt comes up with.  I'll keep working on it though.

Also, come to think of it, some of the last names would be cute for Dinkies as first names - like Blep and Fibble - but these kinds of names are not for grown ups.  It just doesn't fit.   

Edited by EliseAnne85

7 hours ago, benchthis said:

I have a huge issue, perhaps its my ADHD brain freaking out, but why is the name list not in alphabetical order?

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't see a reply yet..

My fuzzy memory is, I chose "Love" from a list.  Or, could we use whatever we wanted (with some kind of filter on bad words) for First Names back in the old days of Last Names before "Resident"?

I think this was answered by now but yep - when I joined in 2005, we had last names on a list with the first names being whatever you wanted to use. By then, I was so used to having to rely on name generators (I used fantasy name generators or baby name sites) for character names for MMOs that that's what I wound up using to come up with my first name. And later, when I made Aya in 2008-ish - same process. Dug around the web for a first name, and picked Ninetails off the list.

The last name thing SL uses was a bit weird to me (and still is today), considering I had been playing games at the time where you could name yourself anything you wanted as long as it wasn't in use. Problematic names (brands, trademarks, etc.) were auto-filtered out prior to finalizing your character, so you didn't have to worry about seeing any BurgerKing McDonalds around. 😄 If you tried that, it'd fail and just give you an error message to pick a new name. That, of course, didn't stop some of the most hilarious names and guild names I've ever seen from popping up all over the place, but it forced people to be a bit more creative with it. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have a huge issue, perhaps its my ADHD brain freaking out, but why is the name list not in alphabetical order?

Not sure, maybe to make it more interesting looking? Alpha sorted might make it look less fun? 

5 hours ago, Punky Starchild said:

If someone chooses the last name "Resident" from the list would that show as "Punky Resident" or just "Punky" with Resident being invisible. I always wondered.

It would.show as a last name as it was chosen and paid for.

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

It would.show as a last name as it was chosen and paid for.

No, choosing Resident is a way to change your name while having "no last name". It won't show in any viewer / situation where Resident is hidden.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

No, choosing Resident is a way to change your name while having "no last name". It won't show in any viewer / situation where Resident is hidden.

The default resident name won't show but if you pay for the last name Resident, it will show as SoandSo Resident.  No one is going to pay for a last name that doesn't show up.  It's an actual last name on the list of last names available.   If you don't want a last name and simply want a first name, like Cher, you just uncheck the last name box.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

On a more serious note, I think there are no human, modern names available anymore.

There are still plenty available for use as a last name in SL. The ones I listed in a prior post that I asked Chat GPT for were all unused. Its not as difficult as you might think to come up with some new, more adult surnames.

29 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

The ones I listed in a prior post that I asked Chat GPT for were all unused.

No they weren't. You didn't check .. one was active right now, many were used, lots were trademarks and would beg legal to sign off on them and at least one was copyrighted by the mouse.

The bulk of the unused names were the international or ethnic equivalents of "Smith" which will never make the list because it's insensitive bordering on insulting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.