So I asked the new Chatgpt-4 how Second Life can get more users...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's what it replied:

Second Life has been around for a long time and has experienced a decline in its user base in recent years. However, there are several ways in which the platform could potentially attract new users:

Improve user experience: Second Life could invest in improving the user interface and overall experience of the platform. This could include making it easier for new users to navigate and interact with the virtual world, and reducing the learning curve required to get started.

Expand accessibility: Second Life could look to expand accessibility to users who may not have the necessary hardware to run the platform. This could include making the platform more lightweight and compatible with a wider range of devices.

Introduce new features: Second Life could introduce new features and capabilities to the platform, such as better integration with social media, new virtual reality options, or gamification elements that could help attract new users.

Target specific user groups: Second Life could focus on marketing the platform to specific user groups, such as gamers, artists, or educators. By highlighting the unique benefits of the platform for these groups, Second Life could attract new users who may not have previously considered the platform.

Foster a sense of community: Finally, Second Life could invest in fostering a strong sense of community among its users. This could include hosting regular events and meetups, creating forums for discussion and collaboration, and providing resources and support for users who are new to the platform. By creating a vibrant and engaged community, Second Life could help attract and retain new users.

Some of you have said similar things! Hmmm. Which of you is an A.I.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Here's what it replied:

Second Life has been around for a long time and has experienced a decline in its user base in recent years. However, there are several ways in which the platform could potentially attract new users:

Improve user experience: Second Life could invest in improving the user interface and overall experience of the platform. This could include making it easier for new users to navigate and interact with the virtual world, and reducing the learning curve required to get started.

Expand accessibility: Second Life could look to expand accessibility to users who may not have the necessary hardware to run the platform. This could include making the platform more lightweight and compatible with a wider range of devices.

Introduce new features: Second Life could introduce new features and capabilities to the platform, such as better integration with social media, new virtual reality options, or gamification elements that could help attract new users.

Target specific user groups: Second Life could focus on marketing the platform to specific user groups, such as gamers, artists, or educators. By highlighting the unique benefits of the platform for these groups, Second Life could attract new users who may not have previously considered the platform.

Foster a sense of community: Finally, Second Life could invest in fostering a strong sense of community among its users. This could include hosting regular events and meetups, creating forums for discussion and collaboration, and providing resources and support for users who are new to the platform. By creating a vibrant and engaged community, Second Life could help attract and retain new users.

I think chatGPT reads the forums.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Improve user experience: 
improving the user interface 
overall experience
making it easier for new users to navigate and interact with the virtual world
reducing the learning curve required to get started.

Introduce new features
better integration with social media
new virtual reality options
gamification elements that could help attract new users.

Target specific user groups:  gamers, artists, or educators

Foster a sense of community

in short .. all what is tried already and doesn't work .. and some just  mindless chatter that means nothing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

in short .. all what is tried already and doesn't work .. and some just  mindless chatter that means nothing

It is like a good sports manager during a press conference or an interview. Talk a lot but say nothing.
The ball is round, the grass is green ....

• Like 8

problem is really all the chat"AI" is good at is scanning the internet for for availble information and then responding with a summary in a human like format. It doesn't think, ponder, come up with new ideas, or offer opinions. It is basically a better way to slice bread or put butter on toast. 

• Like 10

Since S/L doesn't do any of those or just the bare minimum, they must have asked the ChatGpt on how to maximize profits from the existing userbase while investing the least in the infrastructure. The results of that question would be more consistent with what we do see.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this only means you take the rubbish of this Ai serious. LL did a lot of those things, they only aren't the cause of the bad retention.

I see the Ai affirming what is obvious to both myself and others who are way smarter then I. 2+2=4 no matter what IQ of the person or intelligence responding.

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You just described profit optimization Arielle.
 No AI needed for that, only a high school level course or textbook about economy.

But isn't even retaining new users for the express purpose of maximizing profits? More then one way of skinning a cat....so it is said.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But isn't even retaining new users for the express purpose of maximizing profits? More then one way of skinning a cat....so it is said.

That all depends on what your long term goals are as a company I guess.
Main question for companies is: 'What is better: Put your development money in further optimization of your existing product(s) or in the development of new ones?'
Especially companies like LL, that only have one real profitable product, tend to go for the development of a new product. In this case first Sansar and now Tilia.
IMHO chances of staying a successful business improve if your company has more than one profitable product to offer.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Englisn, as always. (I should put this line in my sig, that would safe a lot of time for me)

59 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see the Ai affirming what is obvious to both myself and others who are way smarter then I. 2+2=4 no matter what IQ of the person or intelligence responding.

this Ai affirms nothing, it proves that the things you( and the others smarter as you, but aren't ) believe are the issues, áren't the issues because the things mentioned simply don't work and are empty words without solutions.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this Ai affirms nothing, it proves that the things you( and the others smarter as you, but aren't ) believe are the issues, áren't the issues because the things mentioned simply don't work and are empty words without solutions.

It proves that the issues you say have been tried before need a persistent and consistent effort, not try once a decade ago and then give up when it didn't turn out as hoped. I look at other games that are the same age as S/L and I see the interfaces constantly being worked on and updated to provide better usability and more efficient processes to enhance the user experience. A few new features does not make for easier interactions. The steep learning curve for S/L that has been complained about for over 15 years is even worse today. Linden interactions with the community are nowhere near what they used to be. Modernizing through mobile, VR, gamification, etc have been up to this point left to the community with the Lab in some cases actively resisting their inclusion. The Forum policies are now actively working on crippling the community that was here with many former posters having left and acceptable topics severely curtailed. The only thing we can now talk about now is S/L and how it is increasingly not meeting the needs of the community both here and inworld. But the Lab is not paying attention.

The points other residents and the ChatGpt have brought up are basic things that any virtual world or game has to consider and work on consistently if they have any hope for longevity. That is no different then the creators here inworld who though popular at one time sat back thinking the money would just keep rolling in and then found that was no longer the case as the competition comes out with a better, more effective product. Why should S/L as a whole expect different?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Here's what it replied:

It's all been said here for years.  But, I AM NOT A BOT

Ah, ChatGPT.

Making poorly written and crowd-sourced banality available to anyone with a computer and an internet connection.

Although . . . I thought the model that Pantera used produced a better answer, albeit one that was still not very well written, nor particularly insightful.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Could try asking ChatGPT "leading questions" for "fun" such as, "Would Second Life be more successful without Furries / Bots / LGBT?".

I predict the answers would be unsettling, at best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Could try asking ChatGPT "leading questions" for "fun" such as, "Would Second Life be more successful without Furries / Bots / LGBT?".

I predict the answers would be unsettling, at best.

Maybe.

One of the interesting things beginning to emerge, however, is how ChatGPT's algorithm self-censors in order to avoid "toxic" or, I suppose, overly-controversial output.

Which, overall, is probably a good thing, sorta, but which also ensures banality and makes it difficult to talk intelligently about a number of subjects.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe.

One of the interesting things beginning to emerge, however, is how ChatGPT's algorithm self-censors in order to avoid "toxic" or, I suppose, overly-controversial output.

Which, overall, is probably a good thing, sorta, but which also ensures banality and makes it difficult to talk intelligently about a number of subjects.

Here's where I got that:  I saw multiple news articles mention that Microsoft's new proposed AI search engine is being restricted on purpose to keep it from being racist, etc.  (Limited follow-up questions, for instance.)  In other words, it was easy to bypass whatever "self-censoring" they had in place during tests, so they had to "hobble" it instead.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ah, ChatGPT.

Making poorly written and crowd-sourced banality available to anyone with a computer and an internet connection.

Honestly, everything this particular ChatGPT "wrote" as shown in the OP is plagiarism.  It's all been said here in the forums, and the ChatGPT just assembled it somehow.   I cannot understand the usefulness of having an AI system that simply plagiarizes what already exists.

Although it's been said ChatGPT will be the next big thing, I just don't get it.  It's redundant.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

I attempted a "plagiarism check" with an add-on in Google Docs, and it only found this page.

So, either the "plagiarism add-on" I used isn't very good or, the ChatGPT answer fooled it well.

I only tried the first plagiarism checker that was "free".  (I only found them for Google Docs so far, did not find a general free checker online but did not look very hard.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.