So I asked the new Chatgpt-4 how Second Life can get more users...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

It is pretty ironic, because in the past there was a meme for blue collar workers to learn code when they feared autonomous robots would replace them.  I think it started with coal miners, and moved along to drivers, and unskilled labor in general.  Even back then, I felt it was the white collar jobs that would be most in danger of jobs being replaced, as I think AI is better suited in replacing them than working in the real world, as the real world has a lot more variables to factor in than a simulated one.  Such real world jobs would have to be broken down into much simpler ones, I'm speaking of generalized labor such as roofing, landscaping, home repairs, cleaning, and so on.  Retail work, and stocking shelves are a different matter entirely.  

It was also often thought that there will always be a need for people to fix the robots, which I thought was not very realistic, considering we could just have robots fix robots, and there would be few jobs left as a result.  I don't think consumer based capitalism is going to work out very well in the moderately distant future. We need jobs for that to exist, and short of UBI to keep it on life support, I'm not sure how things will change.

Now what are we going to do?  I imagine, we will keep jobs around for the sake of keeping them around.

One of the things that drew me into the guy above, was when the pandemic hit and the definition of essential workers basically consisted of the lowest paid workers in the workforce, that provided essential services.  Even those are at risk in the future though, but I imagine will likely still exist.

He's the coolest anti capitalism anarchist i've heard speak. I feel less insane now. He is my father lol. jk. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:20 PM, benchthis said:

One thing i've noticed with people with their "Masters Degrees" is that is all they talk about. I have a masters that means I know what i'm talking about. Dumb as rocks. Never can remember anything, does not know what work means. To take notes would require a double master for those people. 

this was disrespectful for the people whom earned their masters and are masters vs the others claiming to be masters.. they know.. no disrespect to the masters. salute because of your generation we are afloat. It's your time to shine. 

2 hours ago, benchthis said:

would it be sac·ri·le·gious to suggest that the coming of jesus was not only physcial but technological?

I've already participated in derailing this thread into likely oblivion, so why not go the extra mile 😅  there are transhumanist groups out there that blend technology and Christianity as well as other religions that do the same that are incredibly fascinating.  Technopaganism, and Mormon Transhumanists are the two I am most familiar with, even then I have little knowledge of either.  LDS(mormons) have a belief in transfiguration, and the mormon transhumanists believe that involves advanced technology.  

I would imagine although am not sure, they would believe Jesus is probably post human, likely The Father as well, which means both were born human and achieved Godhood through technological advancements.  Their view of Christianity is a bit different than most denominations though, as they don't really believe in a trinity but rather three distinct beings united in purpose, each having once lived as human.  That really derails the thread though and I don't want to turn this into a thread of debating theology.  I'm more so pointing toward some versions of Christianity that have a few members that do mix Christianity with technology.

There are also other Christians who feel technology will be used to elevate humanity, as far as I remember after death in the Christian belief structure we are all provided new bodies, made out of heavenly matter -  I guess that could be considered by some to be a form of nanotechnology. I can't really speak for them.

What is considered sacrilegious becomes a debate I am ill suited for, and not very invested in though.  I do think as technology advances, we will see more religious people integrating technology into their existing belief structure though. I would guess for some, some form of AI might be considered  being the devil, for others it may be considered their God.  I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, people created an AI to be their God or to be the mouth of their God.  There was a fellow who had done so with an OS he created, believing God was speaking to him and gave him commandments of how to generate that operating system, it even had a program on it in which he believed God spoke to him through.. so it is not like it hasn't happened already.  It was not AI though.

I'm a sucker for transhumanist topics, and find it incredibly hard to bite my lip and not participate in them when I see them on forums, for which I apologize to the moderators.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I've already participated in derailing this thread into likely oblivion, so why not go the extra mile 😅  there are transhumanist groups out there that blend technology and Christianity as well as other religions that do the same that are incredibly fascinating.

It is hard to tell which God is better, Alexa or ChatGPT.  I guess this is a new age of polytheism.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I've already participated in derailing this thread into likely oblivion, so why not go the extra mile 😅  there are transhumanist groups out there that blend technology and Christianity as well as other religions that do the same that are incredibly fascinating.  Technopaganism, and Mormon Transhumanists are the two I am most familiar with, even then I have little knowledge of either.  LDS(mormons) have a belief in transfiguration, and the mormon transhumanists believe that involves advanced technology.  

I would imagine although am not sure, they would believe Jesus is probably post human, likely The Father as well, which means both were born human and achieved Godhood through technological advancements.  Their view of Christianity is a bit different than most denominations though, as they don't really believe in a trinity but rather three distinct beings united in purpose, each having once lived as human.  That really derails the thread though and I don't want to turn this into a thread of debating theology.  I'm more so pointing toward some versions of Christianity that have a few members that do mix Christianity with technology.

There are also other Christians who feel technology will be used to elevate humanity, as far as I remember after death in the Christian belief structure we are all provided new bodies, made out of heavenly matter -  I guess that could be considered by some to be a form of nanotechnology. I can't really speak for them.

What is considered sacrilegious becomes a debate I am ill suited for, and not very invested in though.  I do think as technology advances, we will see more religious people integrating technology into their existing belief structure though. I would guess for some, some form of AI might be considered  being the devil, for others it may be considered their God.  I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, people created an AI to be their God or to be the mouth of their God.  There was a fellow who had done so with an OS he created, believing God was speaking to him and gave him commandments of how to generate that operating system, it even had a program on it in which he believed God spoke to him through.. so it is not like it hasn't happened already.  It was not AI though.

I'm a sucker for transhumanist topics, and find it incredibly hard to bite my lip and not participate in them when I see them on forums, for which I apologize to the moderators.  

Conversely an argument could be made that technology is man's attempt to do through machinery what used to be in the realm of the spiritual through a communion with God. Technology is then a pathway to supplanting a Master of the Universe and putting ourselves in control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:20 AM, EliseAnne85 said:

Okay, I asked ChatGPT specifically about raising fees.  I think it gave a fair answer on par with what others have been saying.  Basically, we aren't LL and don't know "the books" (their financial perspective) but AI knows of the challenging times of the current economy.  Here's my question and it's answer.  

Is it wise for Linden Lab to raise their fees to purchase lindens at this time, March 2023

As an AI language model, I don't have access to the current financial data and market conditions of Linden Lab or the virtual currency market. However, I can provide some general information that might be helpful in making this decision.

When it comes to raising fees for purchasing virtual currency, the decision will depend on several factors such as the financial health of the company, the demand for the currency, and the competition in the market. Linden Lab will need to consider whether the increase in fees will negatively impact their customer base or push them towards seeking alternative virtual currencies or platforms.

Moreover, it's essential to consider the overall economic situation and the impact of inflation. If there is high inflation or an economic downturn, people may be less likely to spend money on virtual currency, and raising fees could further worsen this trend.

In conclusion, before deciding to raise fees for purchasing Lindens, Linden Lab needs to evaluate the potential benefits and risks and make a decision that aligns with their financial objectives and customers' needs.

Note that is not an answer to, "Is it wise for Linden Lab to raise their fees to purchase Lindens while lowering land use fees at the same time." I mean, the answer will still be the same general sort of self-evident wibble-wobble, just phrased slightly differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Conversely an argument could be made that technology is man's attempt to do through machinery what used to be in the realm of the spiritual through a communion with God. Technology is then a pathway to supplanting a Master of the Universe and putting ourselves in control.

I wonder if this is the basis of the Amish belief structure and why they avoid most technology, as it interferes with such communion with their God.  There is something to be said about getting away from most of our modern conveniences and just being surrounded by nature for a short while, it certainly brings with it a feeling of peace and happiness, which I consider to be spiritual in a way.  For me it only lasts for a few days though, before I want to get back to convenience and well, SL.  I like having the best of both worlds though, which is what excites me about making SL mobile.  I look forward to taking hikes out in nature, and when I feel like it pulling out my phone and playing a bit of SL.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

the answer will still be the same general sort of self-evident wibble-wobble

Quite a mishmash gobbledygoop jibber-jabber argle-bargle claptrap of balderdash, blather and hogwash!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
I was afraid of that, you can't use the gobbledy-g word because of filters.

43 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Note that is not an answer to, "Is it wise for Linden Lab to raise their fees to purchase Lindens while lowering land use fees at the same time." I mean, the answer will still be the same general sort of self-evident wibble-wobble, just phrased slightly differently.

It is pretty much wibble-wobble, plus I think it kind of replies 'not enough information' (because it doesn't have LL's full perspective and doesn't know it's business goals among other things).  

Is it wise for Linden Lab to raise the fees for purchasing lindens while at the same time lowering land fees

As an AI language model, I cannot provide an opinion on whether a decision is wise or not. However, I can provide some information that may be helpful.

Linden Lab is the company that developed and operates Second Life, a virtual world where users can create avatars and interact with each other in a virtual environment. Linden dollars (L$) are the virtual currency used in Second Life, and they can be purchased with real money.

Lowering land fees could encourage more people to purchase virtual land in Second Life, which could lead to increased economic activity and user engagement. On the other hand, raising the fees for purchasing Linden dollars could discourage people from spending real money in the virtual world, which could have a negative impact on the economy of Second Life.

Ultimately, the decision to raise fees for purchasing Linden dollars while simultaneously lowering land fees would depend on various factors, including the company's goals and financial situation. It may be a strategy to balance revenue streams or it could be a decision made in response to customer demand or market conditions.

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I do think as technology advances, we will see more religious people integrating technology into their existing belief structure though. I would guess for some, some form of AI might be considered  being the devil, for others it may be considered their God.

exactly. as far as everythign else i'm good with not fighting over opinions.

• Like 1

In true Chat GPT spirit I've not read the whole thread and just summarized. So I'll just respond.

SL actually works better than ever for me

AMD Ryzen 5 
16 Gigs RAM
1650 Ti
144 Mhz screen
300 mbps
Done the whole FS whitelisting (makes a huge difference if you've not tried it)

Just what I use at present

Was growing tired of needing my game rack for SL, so I welcome all improvements made. If SL becomes mobile compliant, I'll probably just use it now it again, and eventually fade out.

Never got a proper answer to how making SL work on a mobile platform would somehow not just make it a former shadow of itself.

So I asked ChatGPT my question which focused a bit more on the current economic climate and *how* SL could garner a larger userbase and the answers I received were pretty much what the OP received - expand devices, make it more user-friendly for a couple of examples (same as in the OP) but what stood out to me as different is the AI feels (is that the right word? LOL) SL should expand their marketing and should promote itself more and acquire "influencers" even.  

Here's a snipet from ChatGPT about how SL could garner more users in the current economic climate:

Expand Marketing Efforts: Marketing efforts can be expanded by reaching out to different communities, such as the gaming or virtual reality communities. It can also be helpful to partner with influencers or other companies that can promote the platform to their audiences.

Enhance Collaboration and Integration: Partnering with other virtual platforms or social media channels and improving integration can also attract new users. By enhancing collaboration and integration with popular social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, Second Life can bring in new users that might not have been aware of the platform otherwise.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.