Why can we have an option to hide the age in our profile?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I really want have an option to hide up the avatar age in the profile. So I can feel much younger or less fear to the newer resident :) . This is just a display option.

There is no way to hide your age or rez date on your profile.  LL will not implement it. The only thing you can do is to accept that aging is inevitable and embrace it.

Welcome to the wrong side of 10.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I really want have an option to hide up the avatar age in the profile. So I can feel much younger or less fear to the newer resident :) . This is just a display option.

you can create a alt, dress it up during a sale 
buy one month p+ and change name in something fancy,

you'll be young again :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juan Marques said:

you can create a alt, dress it up during a sale 
buy one month p+ and change name in something fancy,

you'll be young again :) 

Then I prefer to pay $50 rather than to buy clothes, mesh body, mesh head, mesh hair..  Avatar dress up costs is rocket-high today.

I think knowing we are dealing with a 1day old account vs a 1 year account could have some value..

If i ban someone and all of a sudden someone shows up with a 1day old account, My spider senses are gonna start tingling.. 

What would happen is, you would have people becoming leery of accounts that hide their age and start treating them as if they were new accounts..  It would be kind of silly to all of a sudden not be allowed into places because you decided to hide your account age.. you can bet it won't be something you can just click on  like pulling out an I.D. card either.. it would probably end up being  something that would take time in the system to change.. They aren't going to let you type it in yourself.. hehehe

• Like 4

As others have said the option to hide the residents creation date would result in other problems - like scripts not being able to calculate avatar age so you find yourself unable to access some places - or worse it causes the scripts to fail because the function now returns a null instead of an expected value.

You could put some post-it notes on your screen where you avatar age is displayed in your profile and then you are all fixed :)

• Like 1

Pulled from the Jira:

Also if I wish to forever be 23 years old and seen as such in SL then I shouldn't have something like my avatar age breaking that immersion. People can be whatever they wish in SL and it is encouraged, but that 14+year number next to my profile pic ruins things.

Whats next? Sending mesh, texture and skin creators to prison, because visible neck seams and alpha glitches also break immersion?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

In my experience, as a 15. Yo avatar no one talks to me.. if I use an alt who is a week or so old I can’t keep the pms from coming in. There is a stigma attached to being one of the older avatars for sure. 

Honestly, I probably still get a lot more IM's than I want at my SL age.. I think what's in your profile as far as each presentation is how to calm them down or wake them up..I get IM's when I'm in my linden home all by myself, doing nothing but working on shapes and things..

My age  will more times than not, come up later in the conversation or sometimes the next conversation, oh I see you have been on the grid for awhile.. It's mostly the other stuff that gets looked at, like profile pics or something said or seeing we are in the same group..

I can't say why someone wouldn't IM me.. just what the ones that do..

I think just like RL in a lot of cases, age is pretty much how you feel or present. :)

4 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

Then I prefer to pay $50 rather than to buy clothes, mesh body, mesh head, mesh hair..  Avatar dress up costs is rocket-high today.

that's why i said to make one or dress up during the sales .. free heads, bodies, clothes skins and other accesoires like the end of year with Lelutka and cooperating other sellers.

1 hour ago, panterapolnocy said:

nope + nope = new account? maybe. 
I can see many advantages to having an older account but also several really good reasons for making a fresh one. I’m sure many people already have. Probably a decent number have done it more than once. 

Maybe if NUX is a big success it will inspire some of us to re-spawn as part-time ‘preternaturally wise noobs’ and drive a creative SL renaissance. That would be fun. I still have plenty to learn here and a plethora of ‘dumb SL questions’ that would probably be easier to ask in a newer account. I’ve spent several long periods out-of-world since I first arrived in early 2008 - I have some big knowledge gaps. 

1 hour ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

In my experience, as a 15. Yo avatar no one talks to me.. if I use an alt who is a week or so old I can’t keep the pms from coming in. There is a stigma attached to being one of the older avatars for sure. 

Does this apply to anyone other than horny guys looking for fresh meat?

17 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

That’s a whole other can o’ worms! 😎

We actually did have a girl here on the forum a few months ago.  Said in her profile she was early 20s IIRC yet had been in SL 10 or more years.  I asked about that.  She said she had started SL as a preteen.  Kind of scary or...a lie?  

@Milissa Rossiniyou can always tell people you joined as a teen back when there was a teen grid.  You're old enough in SL to have been around when it was open.

An SL age in fact carries a lot of prejudices. A one week old perfectly styled avatar is more likely an alt than anything else (to me personally that unit isn't week but years lol), an old avatar likely has seen a lot and must know a thing or two about SL. An old avatar that is outdated and looks bad seems to not care about their appearance or just isn't good at styling. A young avatar obviously doesn't know anything about SL and when talking to them the wording must be carefully chosen so they'd understand you, and you also may be more inclined to offer help. There are TONS of prejudices that everyone naturally applies when talking to another avatar. I personally don't want to lose all that info that is based on prior experiences, but I find the idea interesting still.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

If you want to apear younger than you are, make an alt. If you want to appear older, you're SOL. Sorry. No way round it.

4 hours ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

This, definitely. 

The sweet spot seems to be about 1-2 years old (my newest alt). Younger than that and it's too many horny dudes. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.