Why can we have an option to hide the age in our profile?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

No hope for me then as I turn 18 in a few months. Better just find the SL retirement sim. 

I think people who are newer, believe that what kinda weirdo uses a virtual world for 15-18 years.. OR, its more about.. hm, well they been around so they can smell my crap miles (km) away..

Although I will admit my profile is less than welcoming.. lol

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer

6 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Pulled from the Jira:

Whats next? Sending mesh, texture and skin creators to prison, because visible neck seams and alpha glitches also break immersion?

Wut, they don't do that already?
/me shakes fist and starts to search for a pitch fork.

5 hours ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

I think people who are newer, believe that what kinda weirdo uses a virtual world for 15-18 years..

While I know I have an avatar that old, I don't use it anymore.  I have old avi's I don't want to resurrect because it's all old Classic avatar avi stuff I don't want to have to delete.   I've been off and on for 17 years, not here the whole time.  There have even been times where it's been a few years away, so it's like it's new again.

As far as age of an avatar, I don't care other than your rez day and our group acknowledges rez days with a monthly party.  

But, hmmmmmmm, this is bringing up the subject of ageism for avatars.  I'd suggest that since the OP doesn't want to spend $50 and up for a new alt, that she wait for LL's new mesh avatars.  I'm waiting for that too.  I haven't seen the female yet but the guy is cute.  It will be all about if they have a wide range of shape-ability.   I'll also wait for the newer PBR avi's before I get another human one.  IMO, how old you are isn't important, except for rez days.  To the OP, sorry you feel this way.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

12 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What would happen is, you would have people becoming leery of accounts that hide their age and start treating them as if they were new accounts..  It would be kind of silly to all of a sudden not be allowed into places because you decided to hide your account age..

Being leery of those with no age on display would only be an issue if 'hiding' was optional (which I know is what the OAP... sorry, OP... is asking for). Instead though I'd suggest that by default NOBODY'S Second Life age is visible, so everybody is on equal footing (or equally leery of each other).

I would however perhaps have it that the hidden age only comes into play after, say, the first 6 or 12 months of membership - that way we can still know that somebody is a 'newbie' and anybody without an age on display is 'six month plus'.

Then if you really want to know how long someone has been in SL, you can just ask and believe them or not like everything else.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm not sure why "hiding your age" from other users necessarily means that it would not be available for scripts..!

If we really wanted a "hide your age" option, I'd suggest letting scripts see your "real age" for the reasons given by others.

Then the ‘age check’ gadget would probably be a thing like the ‘what is she wearing’ gadget.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'd suggest that since the OP doesn't want to spend $50 and up for a new alt, that she wait for LL's new mesh avatars. 

old.. aging or not, if people wear the new LL avi's they'l be seen as noobs by many again. If the look doesn't give that name, a starter avi most likely will.
And i seriously doubt if thát is what they ( the renewers) want.
Most alt creators, want their new ones look as best as possible and fast. Not with a starter avi.

3 hours ago, wesleytron said:

Being leery of those with no age on display would only be an issue if 'hiding' was optional (which I know is what the OAP... sorry, OP... is asking for). Instead though I'd suggest that by default NOBODY'S Second Life age is visible, so everybody is on equal footing (or equally leery of each other).

I would however perhaps have it that the hidden age only comes into play after, say, the first 6 or 12 months of membership - that way we can still know that somebody is a 'newbie' and anybody without an age on display is 'six month plus'.

Then if you really want to know how long someone has been in SL, you can just ask and believe them or not like everything else.

I'm just glad they aren't going to waste resources on it, because there is enough broken stuff to be fixed, rather than spending that time on something that isn't broken..

Having the age of an account there, it puts some bit truth to things when dealing with other accounts in a world where there is a lot of people that do come here just to prey on other accounts, just like there are those that try to prey on us in Real life.. They don't call it Second Life for nothing.. hehehe

It would be one thing if all we did was come here and play barbie, but it's not the case and not a harmless world like that.. It's a virtual world that people dump lots of real money into.. Just like real life, we can get into major deals that cost lots of real money.. Knowing you are dealing with someone that has been around for years vs someone that just got here has it's benefits.. Which lets not kid ourselves, a year is still very new in this world, especially with the curve this world has.. It's much more beneficial knowing you are dealing with someone that has been around for awhile rather than someone not as invested..

The option is there if someone wants to act like they are new here.. They can make an alt.  It doesn't cost 50 usd to put a nice avatar together either.. It may for someone new because they don't know any better, but someone that's been around knows where to go or knows how to go about knowing where to go.

In my opinion the age being there has more benefits than it not being there..

30 minutes ago, Juan Marques said:

old.. aging or not, if people wear the new LL avi's they'l be seen as noobs by many again. If the look doesn't give that name, a starter avi most likely will.
Most alt creators, want their new ones look as best as possible and fast. Not with a starter avi.

Which kind of defeats the whole making an alt to play, I'm new here and don't know anything about this world.. hehehe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Juan Marques said:

you can create a alt, dress it up during a sale 

I did a makeover of both male and female alts over the holidays using the free LeLutka heads and the free Classic MeshBodies along with free stuff from Shoppy Hoppy and advent calendars. So I demonstrated to myself that it is possible to create a decent looking avatar for free (or very inexpensively). However, finding clothes that you like AND fit the free mesh body is very difficult. And harder for the female avatar due to more curves :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just lie and tell everyone you joined when you were 12.  Others do.

There are only 2 reasons I can think of for wanting to hide account age. One is to conceal the fact that they really did join when they were actually 12. The other is that they are really 60-something, and they are lying to someone who is MUCH younger than themselves in order to get into a relationship with them.

One of these things is against the TOS, the other is (potentially) against the law.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Juan Marques said:

Well, I know that and I'm sure she knows that but I'd think the new mesh avi's would be better than being the Classic non-mesh avatar.  And, although I agree with the Black Friday half price sales to make a half price avatar, those days just passed.  She could use the 1 Linden Ruth for the body as most Maitreya clothes fit that and just have to get a head.

Plus, a lot of Maitreya stuff is really cheap right now as some older things with the Belleza, Slink and Maitreya are selling for less right now.  Try Pure Poison, they have some things for 10 to 19 Lindens right now, and then go to the Friday and Weekend Sales.  If she wants Legacy, Kupra, Reborn those items are not going cheaply, except at the weekend sales.

Edited by EliseAnne85

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

There are only 2 reasons I can think of for wanting to hide account age. One is to conceal the fact that they really did join when they were actually 12. The other is that they are really 60-something, and they are lying to someone who is MUCH younger than themselves in order to get into a relationship with them.

One of these things is against the TOS, the other is (potentially) against the law.

I wouldn't go so far as to assume an illegal relationship by anyone but...basing any relationship on an initial lie probably isn't wise.  If others don't want to be friends solely based on your RL age, are those people you'd really want as a friend?  I've had and have friends who have ranged in age from their 20s to well.over 60.  It doesn't matter to me but I do tend to have more in common with people over 40.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Well, I know that and I'm sure she knows that but I'd think the new mesh avi's would be better than being the Classic non-mesh avatar.  And, although I agree with the Black Friday half price sales to make a half price avatar, those days just passed.  She could use the 1 Linden Ruth for the body as most Maitreya clothes fit that and just have to get a head.

Plus, a lot of Maitreya stuff is really cheap right now as some older things with the Belleza, Slink and Maitreya are selling for less right now.  Try Pure Poison, they have some things for 10 to 19 Lindens right now, and then go to the Friday and Weekend Sales.  If she wants Legacy, Kupra, Reborn those items are not going cheaply, except at the weekend sales.

There is the Lucy body as well, which a lot of Maitreya things fit..

It's gonna be interesting to see if any things on the market already fit on the NUX.. it'll be kind of neat looking through my inventory testing out different bodies products to see if any of those things fit well enough for a NUX. :)  

The nice thing is they are gonna be BOM so  hopefully a lot of skins match up really nice right out of the gate too and don't fit them strange.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is the Lucy body as well, which a lot of Maitreya things fit..

So much this. Lucy has been so good for my older account. Never need to spend much, but yet her inventory is overflowing and quickly catching up to mine, thanks to group gifts and event freebies. And somehow, she has nicer rings and nails that I now have to wait to go on sale again to get for Aya. 😄

I spin up new avatars every few days at this point (on this account so - same age), and I'm never spending much at all to do it, between gifts and endless sales. Not to mention my inventory's full of Legacy, Reborn, Belleza, Kupra, etc. just as a consequence for buying/grabbing cheap/free things for Maitreya, so I could swap bodies fairly easily should the need ever arise.

Heads (for me) are the only timing issue - grabbing them while free/discounted to use for new avies down the road. I don't find clothing to be very expensive at all, but this really, really depends on where you shop and what you buy.

As for hiding my account's age - I never even thought about doing it. I like running across people as ancient as me out in the wild, and seeing that I do spend quite a bit of time helping mesh newbies (not necessarily SL newbies, but some of them, too) with makeovers, it doesn't seem to hurt. I'd also hate not knowing when dealing with estate rentals and things.

40 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's gonna be interesting to see if any things on the market already fit on the NUX.. it'll be kind of neat looking through my inventory testing out different bodies products to see if any of those things fit well enough for a NUX. :)  

As amazing as that would be, I can't see it happening. Maybe by sheer coincidence, if we're lucky, lol.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.