Setting a Home location when you own nothing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Search Skybeam Community.   I've set all my alts' home there for almost 10 years.  Join the group that allows setting home there and voila!  Never had any issues with griefers or anything there in all these years.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TuesdayLovechild said:

What are my options for setting a Home landmark if I don't own land? Are there unpublished spots that I can land other than the public landing spot everyone lands at? 

You can rent a tiny apartment for as low as 10 linden a week and set home there.  Average for cheap rentals may be about 25 linden a week.  I've never owned land, I've always rented places by searching "cheap rentals".  But, yes, as the person said above, there are some nice places to set your home for free.  The thing is changing.  If you want a quiet and cheap place to change clothes, try on demos, etc...search "cheap rentals".  As I said, some as low as 10 linden a week, which is pennies.  And, then once you pay the rental box, you click "set home here".

Edited by EliseAnne85

There are several old Linden infohubs (I have an alt parked at Castle Valeria) but it's not essential to always login at home location (or last location). If you have a favourite location you like to log in at, just add the landmark to "my favorites" folder and in Preferences>>General section tick "show favorite locations on login screen". Then you can pick from your favourite list where you want to appear. 

This is for SL viewer, I don't recall for the others but probably they have a similar function. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

There are several old Linden infohubs (I have an alt parked at Castle Valeria) but it's not essential to always login at home location (or last location). If you have a favourite location you like to log in at, just add the landmark to "my favorites" folder and in Preferences>>General section tick "show favorite locations on login screen". Then you can pick from your favourite list where you want to appear. 

That's good advice.  Of course, there are other reasons for setting "Home" someplace, besides having a handy place to log in.  Probably the best reason is so that you have a safe place to run to if you find yourself in panic mode. Once you have set Home, you can TP there at the touch of a button.  That can be important if you are the target of unwanted attention, or if you simply want an "Ooopsie!" way to escape an awkward conversation.  😉

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

This is for SL viewer, I don't recall for the others but probably they have a similar function. 

It's the same in the Firestorm viewer as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's good advice.  Of course, there are other reasons for setting "Home" someplace, besides having a handy place to log in.  Probably the best reason is so that you have a safe place to run to if you find yourself in panic mode. Once you have set Home, you can TP there at the touch of a button.  That can be important if you are the target of unwanted attention, or if you simply want an "Ooopsie!" way to escape an awkward conversation.  😉

haha yes. I just hit the back button next to Home. instinct from years of browsing sites i probably shouldn't 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

There is a group of sims called 'Naked' that is a nudist colony.  If you join the group you can set home there.  You save a lot on clothes too.

What you save in clothes is offest by the group join fee though. :P 

(granted, it's not much in the grand scheme of things mind you, but the 500 lindens might be a bit out of range for a new comer to the grid.)

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, TuesdayLovechild said:

What are my options for setting a Home landmark if I don't own land?

I am not sure if you think you or I or anyone needs to "own" land in order to set home here.  If you are thinking that, it isn't true.  You can rent a home, skybox, apartment, tent, whatever to live in and set home here.  You do not have to own land to have a home and set home here.  Search cheap rentals or rentals to find a home or place to rent.  Learn to refine your search such as 'rental 50 prims unfurnished' for an example.  Type in search what you are looking for and give keywords is what i am saying.  And, you can be a free account and rent a place and set home here.  Free accounts can rent places to live. And, you do not need to own any land to rent either.   You can create a landmark for your rental home also on a free account.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TuesdayLovechild said:

What are my options for setting a Home landmark if I don't own land? Are there unpublished spots that I can land other than the public landing spot everyone lands at? 

You can set your viewer so you just land at the last place you were when you logged out instead of landing at "home" . You can also set a "favorite" landmark to anywhere and be able to get there immediately without needing rights to set your home there.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:47 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

You can set your home for free at NCI Kuula which you've been able to do since before I first rezzed back in 2007.

Kuula was my first home, then I moved to the NCI beach.  Junkyard Blues will let you set home there for free if you join the group.  I rent a shack there for $50L and set my home there just to support the sim.  

• Like 3

On 12/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, TuesdayLovechild said:

The SL Public Land Preserve, with headquarters in the sim Carlisle, is one area where you can "set home to here" by joining the group for $10 one-time fee and then you can hang out anywhere and put a few prims in about 3 sims' worth of locations. Or, if you don't want to spend $10, understood, pick any one of the $1 rental groups we have and even if not renting, just join, hang out in the commons area or whatever. I'd make a free group, as I used to have, but they are griefed so badly, I find the dollar fee is one way to reduce newly-rolled alts who don't want to bother to put Lindens on their account.

Which brings me to a subject I've long wanted to ask about, since I was helping a newbie, they couldn't seem to set home even on a Linden infohub, which used to be the case, and then I tried rolling an alt and setting a home in a Linden infohub -- and couldn't. I don't know what their thinking is on this, so I ended up putting that alt at The Shelter on the sim Isabelle. 

And there are many other places.

But I do want to understand why you can't do this at Linden infohubs any more. They have a message that you can -- but then it doesn't work. This is on the regular SL viewer, not Firestorm. Go and test it and see what you get. I just got it to work at Ross infohub. The other day I couldn't. I do find there is something wrong with this function.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.