Just more trouble and no help

Nosathro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

Does anyone know why all the lettering and stuff has gotten s small I can't read.  Is the a manuel that has information on this stuff, I am still seeing gray ghost and white clouds

If you're using Firestorm, it's under User Interface in Preferences/Font size IIRC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

am still seeing gray ghost and white clouds

You have yet to post your computer specs which were asked for in your previous post.  In the viewer top menu Help/About  copy to clipboard and paste here.  It seems.like a YOU issue so we can't help at all if we have no info to start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

Well nothing new, no help.  When I was in SL years ago everyone was willing to help, not today.  serious thinking of leaving, it is such a waste

People have tried to help with the chat letter size issue.  If you're using the SL or Kokua viewer, the chat size selector is found in Preferences -> Chat & IM -> General.

For the being a cloud issue, you can look at Firestorm viewer bake fail help   Even if you are not using the FS viewer, the troubleshooting tips should still work with other viewers. 

It really helps when you have issues like you are having, for you to at least indicate which viewer you are using and also copy/paste the information from your viewer's Help -> About <viewer name> pop-up window.   The pop-up window has a copy to clipboard button, so it is easy to copy that info and then post it here. This will allow people to see what your viewer settings are so that they can offer suggestions about why everything you're seeing is staying grey.  

• Like 2

"SL refuses to acknowledge the problem"

Look familiar? You're being rude to everyone who has stepped forward and not following the given advice. Your attitude sucks. Nobody wants to help someone who won't take advice then rants and raves about how unhelpful people are. As far as your threats of leaving SL, don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

Well nothing new, no help.  When I was in SL years ago everyone was willing to help, not today.  serious thinking of leaving, it is such a waste

It looks like several people have offered help already and have asked you to please post your system information so that they can help figure out what may be the problem on your machine.  If you are not willing to listen to help or to provide information so that others can help you, you're stuck.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

A few things to bear in mind when asking for help:

1) In an online environment, none of us can see or experience the things you're seeing and experiencing. We can only make guesses based on the amount of information we have about your situation.

2) These guesses are improved by the amount of specific information we have about your situation.

3) Complaining about not getting help does not count as information under those circumstances.

• Like 4

On 11/11/2022 at 8:36 PM, Nosathro said:

Does anyone know why all the lettering and stuff has gotten s small I can't read.  Is the a manuel that has information on this stuff, I am still seeing gray ghost and white clouds

I don't know anyone named Manuel, maybe he works at the Help Desk?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

What exactly are you expecting us to do when you give us NO information to go on?  We can't magically know your system specs.  You've created a couple threads complaining about the same issue where people have tried to help.  

Tina-Fey-Rolling-Eyes-Gif.gif.3cd489ce1e18b204540c8a2573d32fe0.gif

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, Nosathro said:

You probably need a stronger power for your reading glasses.  That happens as you age.

I don't know Manuel either, but in my world most clouds are white (with blue sky) and ghosts are gray, sometimes translucent also.  So I don't understand what your complaint is.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blaise Glendevon said:
4 hours ago, Nosathro said:

Is this a troll?

I've come to believe there's a "troll spectrum". Kind of like, some people are only a little grumpy.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Nosathro said:

Hello, You're looking for a manual for how to change the size of your text also known as UI. Which viewer are you using? Instructions differ from viewer to viewer. I remember one time I was goofing with the preference settings and I could not figure out how to fix it, I understand how frustrating it is having everything go poof and how upsetting it can be trying to find answers, nothing in this world is ever simple. 

I can not locate instructions or anything UI related in the knowledge base,  hmm

I think when this happened to me I had to uninstall the viewer and reinstall it. You may be able to install the program again and it will install over the messed up program, without uninstalling it. If you need more help please let us know. 

13 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Hello, You're looking for a manual for how to change the size of your text also known as UI. Which viewer are you using? Instructions differ from viewer to viewer.

This would not work if the UI was changed in preferences, when I changed mine I just remember I could not see any menu options everything was funked up. I'm pretty sure I installed the second life program again to fix it. It might have even goofed up my login screen, not sure if accessing preferences from there would be possible either. I know never mess with the UI settings because they do not auto revert after so many seconds, once it's messed up it stayed messed up and could not click any thing because there was nothing to click.  :( 

There should be a pop up after change, are you sure you want to keep this UI setting? vs if that is the problem.

If your asking for a manual for second life in general: This has a bunch of information: English - Knowledge Base - Second Life Community

20 hours ago, Nosathro said:

Two people DID help. You simply failed to provide the required information.

Nobody here is Linden Lab. Nobody here is tech support. Nobody here can go round to your house to look at youyr hardware.

The only person who would be able to fix this issue is you.

• Like 2

At the risk of not being as helpful as one might wish, I must point out that the best help I ever got with anything computer-related came from learning how to specifically word a Google search to find the information I needed without having to cull through a bunch of unrelated results.

Any undertaking of this magnitude (and no, I'm not being sarcastic, SL is actually rather complex) requires learning, and most of it can't really be learned by asking others to help you fix things when they go wonky. Especially if you're stressed and feeling very un-fun about the whole thing due to difficulty in making it go. I learned this the hard way when I was learning Photoshop, and the friend who was  trying to help me told me I was on my own and never spoke to me again. It took me looking back over our chat to see that the entire time they were helping me, all I was doing was b!tching at them, and didn't even realize it, I was so caught up in trying to make the stupid program work for me.

I know it sounds pedantic (I'm an expert on sounding pedantic), but Googling the name of your viewer software, the words Second Life and the exact problem you're having in as few and most concise words as possible will probably get you a lot farther than any amount of asking in here.

Also the guilt trip thing doesn't work. These people probably couldn't care less if someone leaves SL. It's kind of like wolves caring if one of their number falls by the wayside, it just doesn't happen. There are kindly and extremely helpful people here and inworld, but they have to be approached with respect, courtesy, and at least the pretense that one isn't raging bitterly over their viewer being b0rked.

Don't let it stop you from enjoying SL. At the same time, don't let SL problems ruin your day. Just drop the emotional attachment long enough to resolve the technical issue, and it will go way easier. I had to learn how to do it, myself. My laptop is grateful for not being kicked across the room anymore, and I have a lot less stress when something goes wrong. Deep breaths, calm and serene, and Google, lots and lots of Google.*

* Not sponsored by Google. It's like asking someone to get you a Coke from the fridge. Besides, it would look silly if I kept telling someone to DuckDuckGo something, or whatever. Yes, even sillier than telling them to Google it.

P.S.: If you ever just feel like you need to get it all out, come find me and we can blow stuff up. It helps. A lot. First things first though, get your viewer working, so you can have fun again.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.