1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: The Alpha testing for SL Mobile requires at least an iPhone X. 

(I just happen to have an "iPhone XS".)

I signed up anyway just in case.

I look at my not very smart phone that can't even read QR codes and decide there just isn't enough incentive to upgrade.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The apparently sedate equine sport of "Dressage" is in fact part of War Horse training.

Yup, dressage didn't really become a 'civilian' sport until the 20th century. Before then it was all about horse handling for cavalrymen. Still is, in some cases - although these days, military on horse is mostly ceremonial (but both in Sweden and the UK, the respective royal guards are still actual military forces).

6088db04154bdd65216640df483df057.jpg

royal-guard-tout-072023-269534b8f19845ba

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: The Alpha testing for SL Mobile requires at least an iPhone

LMFAO.

Something like 75% of the "MobileLife Fail-Viewer Vast Untapped New Market" of people with NO interest in SL, who certainly won't spend any money here, use Android, so they do testing on Awful Mac whyPhone, and only for Plooooooooose Snobs.

<edit> THEY are </edit> still vainly searching for those mythical "Better People".

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Confused 1

Peeve:

Tried taking a pic using the FS alpha PBR viewer last night. It did not go well: the strain that it places upon my computer prevented me from taking it at the higher resolution I customarily use. I was using a computer that ordinarily allows me to take shots at "Ultra" with a 6000+ resolution across the widest side: this viewer crashed when I tried 4000.

It certainly looks good, and the viewer will "work" for me for everyday use, at a lower graphics quality than I'm used to -- but I am growing increasingly concerned that PBR is going to impact a lot of residents very badly indeed. And I won't be using it for photos (sadly) unless the performance issues are addressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Training war horses and police horses is a whole lot of work. And historically, war horses were insanely expensive (both because of the breeding and training). On his coronation in 1377, Richard II of England rode a £200 horse - which, according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator is .. £189,612 ($237,393). That of course doesn't mean much, because not only has currency seen inflation, but the prices of stuff we buy with currency has shifted - but basically you could have that one horse, or about 700 'regular' horses.

It mightn't have been quite worth a kingdom, but possibly a county or two.

True, also in those days horses were like cars today… the sportiest and best looking were the most expensive.

Desensitizing horses so that they’re able to cope with unusual situations takes a lot of work, time and skills. Even basic desensitization training so that they’re able to go to shows with people, umbrellas and whatnot takes months and (in my case) several spooks, rears and falls 😅

Warhorses and mules used even in WW2 were real heroes. I never fail to cry about them. Same as horses, mules and donkeys used in mining.. some were born and lived their whole lives underground 😔

Police, military horses were and are amazing animals.

I adopted two ex-cavalry horses from the UK. They are the most amazing, kind and levelheaded creatures. I pair them up with the babies so they can learn from them.❤️‍🩹 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

LMFAO.

Something like 75% of the "MobileLife Fail-Viewer Vast Untapped New Market" of people with NO interest in SL, who certainly won't spend any money here, use Android, so they do testing on Awful Mac whyPhone, and only for Plooooooooose Snobs.

They are testing it on Android too but it requires Android 13 which i think is the latest, which would completely rule out my comparatively ancient phone running Nougat 

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

LMFAO.

<edit> THEY are </edit> still vainly searching for those mythical "Better People".

Nope, testing is on Android too. I just don't have one.

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve:

Tried taking a pic using the FS alpha PBR viewer last night. It did not go well: the strain that it places upon my computer prevented me from taking it at the higher resolution I customarily use. I was using a computer that ordinarily allows me to take shots at "Ultra" with a 6000+ resolution across the widest side: this viewer crashed when I tried 4000.

It certainly looks good, and the viewer will "work" for me for everyday use, at a lower graphics quality than I'm used to -- but I am growing increasingly concerned that PBR is going to impact a lot of residents very badly indeed. And I won't be using it for photos (sadly) unless the performance issues are addressed.

Did you try also on the Official (PBR) viewer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve:

That's odd because I've been taking pics for the last week or so using the FS Alpha and the exact same resolution as the regular viewer, with no problem.  Graphics are basically the same, too.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, but your peeves seem mostly about performance - is why I asked.

Well, yes, but for me, performance encompasses how well it can handle high quality, high res images, because that's what I spend a great deal of my SL doing. It's not dissimilar to how some people might judge the performance by how well it can handle large club crowds.

However, I just tried the new LL PBR viewer, while at the Gaza event which had a fair number of people, tons of particles, and lots of stuff going on.

I'll admit I'm impressed, less by the appearance (which I need to check out properly under different conditions), than by the performance. I took this pic at 4000px with Ultra on. My FPS never fell below 30. And it gave me zero problems with the image.

So, the performance issues may be with the way in which FS (which is, generally, always laggier than the official viewer anyway) handles it.

Again, though, it's a shame that the official viewer is so poorly implemented for photographers.

Gaza-on-LL-Viewer-Blank.thumb.png.cdf34aeeb052e226fdc3e8e16b55b459.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

That's odd because I've been taking pics for the last week or so using the FS Alpha and the exact same resolution as the regular viewer, with no problem.  Graphics are basically the same, too.

I don't know, honestly. I can just affirm that I've had this issue across two very different computers.

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, yes, but for me, performance encompasses how well it can handle high quality, high res images, because that's what I spend a great deal of my SL doing. It's not dissimilar to how some people might judge the performance by how well it can handle large club crowds.

However, I just tried the new LL PBR viewer, while at the Gaza event which had a fair number of people, tons of particles, and lots of stuff going on.

I'll admit I'm impressed, less by the appearance (which I need to check out properly under different conditions), than by the performance. I took this pic at 4000px with Ultra on. My FPS never fell below 30. And it gave me zero problems with the image.

So, the performance issues may be with the way in which FS (which is, generally, always laggier than the official viewer anyway) handles it.

Again, though, it's a shame that the official viewer is so poorly implemented for photographers.

I think your avatar looks amazing in this picture, the other picture in the "How Does Your SL Look Today?" had fantastic rendering of the particles.  Ya know, some of the pictures I take in Cool VL come out nice, I especially like the way the sky looks in it compared to LL's, there are a ton of different options in the graphics settings I am unfamiliar with, but it might offer a bit of extra flexibility when it comes to trying out ALM, PBR, or just removing both.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve:

Try Black Dragon 5.0 and see how it does..It's supposed to be smoother running now..I know it was for me..

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I remembered seeing in another thread about performance differences between viewers in the PBR version. Surprised it didn't come up more.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I remembered seeing in another thread about performance differences between viewers in the PBR version. Surprised it didn't come up more.

I don't recall that. Interesting.

I keep hearing in the FS test group how wonderful the new viewer is . . . and people talking about FPS of over 100, etc. And it sort of reinforces my sense that a great deal of the enthusiasm is coming from people with high end computers -- because they're the ones who tend to be most interested in graphics quality, and are most likely to test this stuff out.

People running SL on 5 year old laptops are probably not part of the test group.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't recall that. Interesting.

I keep hearing in the FS test group how wonderful the new viewer is . . . and people talking about FPS of over 100, etc. And it sort of reinforces my sense that a great deal of the enthusiasm is coming from people with high end computers -- because they're the ones who tend to be most interested in graphics quality, and are most likely to test this stuff out.

People running SL on 5 year old laptops are probably not part of the test group.

I haven't updated to the PBR FS yet.. I believe the 5.0 Black Dragon is though.. It ran smoother than the last version I had..

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't updated to the PBR FS yet.. I believe the 5.0 Black Dragon is though.. It ran smoother than the last version I had..

On BD 5.1, which is PBR enabled.

It's better than Firestorm, certainly. This pic (at my own parcel) is a high-res image (6000px across), with everything except depth of field turned on and up. On ground level, where this was taken, it's too laggy to function very well in normal contexts at these settings (FPS ~6), but it had no problems handling a large sized image. On my platform, FPS was significantly better (unsurprisingly).

To repeat my peeve, though -- as impressed as I was with the performance in the official viewer, I still think this is going to hit a significant number of residents harder than people seem to think it will. At the least, there will be a sizable exodus to other viewers than FS. I am still shocked, frankly, at how awful the performance issues on that were for me. On, as I say, two different computers (with admittedly high graphic settings).

My-Sim-Black-Dragon-PBR-Test-Blank.thumb.png.496fe09651c82bfed39272f99179c914.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On BD 5.1, which is PBR enabled.

It's better than Firestorm, certainly. This pic (at my own parcel) is a high-res image (6000px across), with everything except depth of field turned on and up. On ground level, where this was taken, it's too laggy to function very well in normal contexts at these settings (FPS ~6), but it had no problems handling a large sized image. On my platform, FPS was significantly better (unsurprisingly).

To repeat my peeve, though -- as impressed as I was with the performance in the official viewer, I still think this is going to hit a significant number of residents harder than people seem to think it will. At the least, there will be a sizable exodus to other viewers than FS. I am still shocked, frankly, at how awful the performance issues on that were for me. On, as I say, two different computers (with admittedly high graphic settings).

My-Sim-Black-Dragon-PBR-Test-Blank.thumb.png.496fe09651c82bfed39272f99179c914.png

Ya, it's gonna hurt a lot of users if they don't let them cut off some stuff for sure.. They can try to draw in the gamer crowd or whoever it is that they think they are gonna draw, but honestly I think they are shooting themselves in the foot if they think that's really gonna happen..

I haven't updated to the latest FS because, I'm afraid I'm gonna hit a worse lag session than SL has become  in the last couple of years as it is..

If I hit a wall after I update, then I'm probably done.. It's not like I'm doing anything immersed anymore.. I'm mostly shopping for clothes so that I can wear something the next time I go shopping.. I mean seriously, What the hell am I doing here? lol

Throw some more lag in there and it's a good chance I'll be close if not hit that straw that breaks the camels back.. hehehe

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At the least, there will be a sizable exodus to other viewers than FS. I am still shocked, frankly, at how awful the performance issues on that were for me.

It's the beta viewer and is nowhere ready for release, though. And given the mess with the main release they had to roll back due to AO and some inventory issues it's not even all that recent build as they have been busy fixing it. I'd wait until RC at least to compare the performance and all the rest between different viewers. Given the holidays and end of the year I'd guess it won't be out for at least another month, probably longer.

I'd normally say 2 to 3 months, but I remember how LL was pushing TPV devs to release some updates for the "shared experience", I think last was the EEP one? So they had to release it in a pretty bad state with plenty of known issues, then fix them later. Hopefully it won't be the case this time around and they'll take their time.

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I haven't updated to the latest FS because, I'm afraid I'm gonna hit a worse lag session than SL has become  in the last couple of years as it is..

Latest FS doesn't have PBR, so just released 6.6.17 doesn't really have any performance differences compared to 6.6.14, not too drastic ones at least. It's mostly the fixes, inventory thumbnails and other little QoL changes.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

It's the beta viewer and is nowhere ready for release, though. And given the mess with the main release they had to roll back due to AO and some inventory issues it's not even all that recent build as they have been busy fixing it. I'd wait until RC at least to compare the performance and all the rest between different viewers. Given the holidays and end of the year,

This is an entirely fair point.

• Like 1