15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

The best Swedish word I've heard for them is 'Slaktavfall'. Nods.

Oh, I looked it up 🤢 Also the name of an industrial/noise project...which should tell you everything! 😯

Edited by Rat Luv

And then there's the Swedish word smörgåsbord, which is well-known across North America.  I have never heard it pronounced correctly as a Swedish word, though.  It comes out usually as "S'more gis board", making it sound like the dessert menu for a Girl Scout campfire.  

It's easy to poke fun at the way that people use words that they have borrowed from your own language, but we all do it.  English is notorious for incorporating words from other languages (khaki, cabana, tulle, kraut, parlay, chai, igloo ...) and giving them a comfortable twist to fit our mouths, but I have heard "hottodoggu" in Japan and "Kan Dou Gi" in Beijing ( that's fried chicken, borrowed and shortened from "Kentucky Fried Chicken"). We still seem to understand each other.  Sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

but I have heard "hottodoggu" in Japan

That is correct...there is an alphabet called Katakana which is used for foreign (to Japan) words...it feels weird learning it because you sometimes feel like you are doing an impression of a Japanese person...I like looking at Japanese editions of musical albums and trying to translate the Katakana, Prince is something like "Puh-reh-ee-n-su" (it has been a while, don't go mad if I'm not 100% 😐

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

That is correct...there is an alphabet called Hiragana which is used for foreign (to Japan) words

I think maybe you mean the other alphabet "Katakana", whereas "Hiragana" is used for Japanese words!

* Someone was WRONG on the internet! Must LEAP into action! *  I used to attempt to study Japanese.

❤️ 

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think maybe you mean the other alphabet "Katakana", whereas "Hiragana" is used for Japanese words!

* Someone was WRONG on the internet! Must LEAP into action! *  I used to attempt to study Japanese.

❤️

Yes, I messed it up 😐

But I just edited it so nobody will ever know 😍

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

And then there's the Swedish word smörgåsbord, which is well-known across North America.  I have never heard it pronounced correctly as a Swedish word, though.  It comes out usually as "S'more gis board", making it sound like the dessert menu for a Girl Scout campfire.  

It's easy to poke fun at the way that people use words that they have borrowed from your own language, but we all do it.  English is notorious for incorporating words from other languages (khaki, cabana, tulle, kraut, parlay, chai, igloo ...) and giving them a comfortable twist to fit our mouths, but I have heard "hottodoggu" in Japan and "Kan Dou Gi" in Beijing ( that's fried chicken, borrowed and shortened from "Kentucky Fried Chicken"). We still seem to understand each other.  Sometimes.

I prefer smorg a$$ bord. 😄

Hint: There are 4 languages I've attempted to learn (mostly HS), one of which is English and none of which are my native language.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

The first time I heard someone use the word 'sloyd' I was so confused, because it sounded as if he tried to say a Swedish word that would have made sense, but it was just pronounced so weirdly - turns out they did take it as a loan word, got rid of the umlaut, replaced the j with a y, and just went for it. 

Sometimes I feel umlauts just shatter reality for them. I tried to teach my SL sister to pronounce 'mjölk' and she vehemently claims to say it just the same way I do. Except she says 'meelk'. Which is nowhere near! I've even heard people try to pronounce 'München' but still make the yuo-sound from 'Munich'. Munchen just sounds like they're wanting a bite to eat. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's directed by Greta Gerwig. I'm anticipating that it should be fun, clever, and, yeah, at least a little "feminist."

Hey, if I can anticipate enjoying a film by that arch-conservative Christopher Nolan, YOU can suck up a bit of feminism alongside the jokes!

Uh oh. The reviews coming in aren't good.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Honestly... the trailer didn't even look great and don't they pick the best parts of a movie for the trailer?

Looking forward to oppenheimer though. I need to book tickets apaprently it's selling out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

The more a movie is hyped, the higher the expectations and the more effect negative reviews have..

Honestly, most of the "comedy movies that are / could have been a skit" are not Citizen Kane. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, Paul Hexem said:

Believe it or not, that's disappointing (news about the Barbie movie) if true...

Now I know why you were so involved in the build of a certain pink-themed area for a certain female stereotype in SL.

...takes your arm to keep from falling off her six inch pink platform heels and bats her inch and a half long lashes at you, cooling you with a nice little breeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Now I know why you were so involved in the build of a certain pink-themed area for a certain female stereotype in SL.

...takes your arm to keep from falling off her six inch pink platform heels and bats her inch and a half long lashes at you, cooling you with a nice little breeze.

Now you know which friend I was talking about.

The good news is, now she doesn't want to see it either and I can wait for Deadpool 3. 

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Now you know which friend I was talking about.

The good news is, now she doesn't want to see it either and I can wait for Deadpool 3. 

It seems  Hollywood is on strike..  I'm hoping it sparks those writers that are striking because of AI to stop making the same movies over and over again..

Hopefully Deadpool 3 was made in NY instead of Hollywood.. hehehe

• Like 1