34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Tolerating intolerance is a paradox that would effectively render the notion of having any limits at all pointless. There's no point in having rules against the expression of hatred if you also need to tolerate such hatred.

This is all, of course, central to Karl Popper's "The Paradox of Tolerance," which argues, essentially, that tolerating intolerance leads ultimately to the death of tolerance, and democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Let's just say..I live in Florida.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Me either.  I was just mentally including everyone in this thread (or maybe this forum), including you and me.  Hence the question ... everyone?

Not everyone in this thread, no. 

Sorry. I meant to reply to this earlier but kept getting sidetracked. 

image.png.65dabb4106e7656938f442640fdf7466.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Leave.

Immediately.

Peeve: My job is ending soon, so I could leave..and could probably find a "Remote" job..

Peeve: BUT..my church, house, stuff, and Huskies are here..

I still hope things improve soon, the pendulum DOES swing both ways!

ETA: I just don't want to be bullied into leaving by situations! 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I strongly disagree with this and in fact, find that concept scary!  Think how boring life would be if everyone agreed.  It would kill conversation and free speech, and forget having differing opinions and the debates that come with them.  But that does seem to be what certain groups want these days.

Ahhhh thinking ...

... just for a while, for me personally, it would be pure bliss.

_____

I wasn't actually suggesting blocking free speech. I actually meant, if we were all offended by the same things, then there would be no cruelty to animals, violence against women, paedophilia, so-called roleplay groups that have SS in their logo. That was what I was actually meaning. We would still all like or dislike Marmite, we would still all prefer cats to dogs or dogs to cats, all of the stuff that really makes us interesting.

You (and everyone else obviously judging by the lack of responses to my earlier post) have misunderstood.

Just like a mental health counsellor once did.

What I had actually said then was: "I don't believe Jimmy Savile is guilty of all he has been accused of." What I should have said was "I don't believe Jimmy Savile is guilty of all he has been accused of, and the counsellor wrote it down and requoted to me later as me having said "I believe Jimmy Savile is innocent".  I did not say that, I did not mean that. What I said was what I meant.

_____

Freedom of speech is one thing, foisting a hard opinion on another person and then battering it home with a doctored version of the truth via video is coercive and controlling, and to be very clear about what I am talking about, it is an anti-Muller (brand of yogurt) advert created by a vegan company. It really has messed with my already fractured mind this week.

But that is for another mental health counsellor for another day, certainly not for these forums where I come to try and escape real world for a little while.

Edited by Marigold Devin
typing error
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This reminds me of the a classic Science Fiction story, "The Barbie Murders". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barbie_Murders 

In the story, everyone is literally physically identical (and genderless, thus "Barbie") because they are supposed to have the same beliefs and attitudes.  The "deviants" turn out to be either the murderer or the victims, but you'd have to read the story to find out.  (I won't spoil it.)  The point is, in an "unnatural" society where everyone is supposed to "be one way", natural "deviance" will occur with unfortunate results.

This is also what happens in our society today.

Another classic to tag @Scylla Rhiadrain!

It sounds very interesting ... and familiar. You are a font of information, Love. But it wasn't what I was suggesting at all. Jordan (and others) obviously misunderstood me. I read and re-read what I wrote and still don't know how everyone thinks now that I am against free speech or want everyone to be identical, I don't think I said or meant that at all. 

But thanks for remaining light-hearted. You're like our Entertainments Manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ahhhh thinking ...

... just for a while, for me personally, it would be pure bliss.

_____

I wasn't actually suggesting blocking free speech. I actually meant, if we were all offended by the same things, then there would be no cruelty to animals, violence against women, paedophilia, so-called roleplay groups that have SS in their logo. That was what I was actually meaning. We would still all like or dislike Marmite, we would still all prefer cats to dogs or dogs to cats, all of the stuff that really makes us interesting.

You (and everyone else obviously judging by the lack of responses to my earlier post) have misunderstood.

Just like a mental health counsellor once did.

What I had actually said then was: "I don't believe Jimmy Savile is guilty of all he has been accused of." What I should have said was "I don't believe Jimmy Savile is guilty of all he has been accused of, and the counsellor wrote it down and requoted to me later as me having said "I belive Jimmy Savile is innocent".  I did not say that, I did not mean that. What I said was what I meant.

_____

Freedom of speech is one thing, foisting a hard opinion on another person and then battering it home with a doctored version of the truth via video is coercive and controlling, and to be very clear about what I am talking about, it is an anti-Muller (brand of yogurt) advert created by a vegan company. It really has messed with my already fractured mind this week.

But that is for another mental health counsellor for another day, certainly not for these forums where I come to try and escape real world for a little while.

I wasn't having a go at you, or intending to cause (irony) offense.  I was just musing out loud how scary a uniform world of thought would be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There's a well known and popular store in SL that, when participating in the weekend sales event, used to have mini packs of items with maybe 6 or so colours in it for the discounted price of 60L or 75L, depending on which event it was in. 

Peeve: Now they're doing single colours for the discount price and no more mini packs.

I know I am being entitled and the store has every right to want to make money.  It still peeves me!!!

Plus it peeves me that I can't use my store credit on their sales items!!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jordan Whitt said:

There's a well known and popular store in SL that, when participating in the weekend sales event, used to have mini packs of items with maybe 6 or so colours in it for the discounted price of 60L or 75L, depending on which event it was in. 

Peeve: Now they're doing single colours for the discount price and no more mini packs.

I know I am being entitled and the store has every right to want to make money.  It still peeves me!!!

Plus it peeves me that I can't use my store credit on their sales items!!!

I hate when they sell bikinis as separate parts so you're actually paying 100-200L for the bathing suit.  Especially when they're solid colors!   

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I hate when they sell bikinis as separate parts so you're actually paying 100-200L for the bathing suit.  Especially when they're solid colors!   

Peeves me off more when its a dress with panties.  I REALLY wanted to buy one, but the dress was 250L and the PANTIES were 250L too.  How the fudge can they justify THAT!!!!!  I was NOT paying 500L for one fricken outfit.

But yes, bikinis and lingerie.  They should sell as SETS!!!

• Like 6

Peeve: When the gamer kids just don't show respect.

Edited to add: If you don't get the reference, this is from a South Park episode where the boys get their butts kicked in a video game.  It turns out that it's this guy who is kicking their butts, and the joke is that he is barely trying (and obviously an older guy who is out of shape, etc.). Only the viewers find this out, the boys apparently assume it's some bad-arse gamer.

gamerguy.gif

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve:

That, unlike Second Life, real life cannot have the setting to restrict sounds to parcel. (Or smells or smoke come to that.) 

^ So much this.  Neighbors down the street have had loud music going all night long and it's still going this morning, as well as 2 roosters crowing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve:

That, unlike Second Life, real life cannot have the setting to restrict sounds to parcel. (Or smells or smoke come to that.) 

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

^ So much this.  Neighbors down the street have had loud music going all night long and it's still going this morning, as well as 2 roosters crowing.

For us it is the back neighbors -- they have a few yappy dogs and one starts barking as he's going through the door to get out, before he even knows if there is really anything to bark at.  This time of year, I have the windows open all night and that dog wakes me up every morning at 7:00 -- can almost set a clock by it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For us it is the back neighbors -- they have a few yappy dogs and one starts barking as he's going through the door to get out, before he even knows if there is really anything to bark at.  This time of year, I have the windows open all night and that dog wakes me up every morning at 7:00 -- can almost set a clock by it.

The "vicious" little yappy dogs across the street from us are inside at night and aren't let out until later in the morning, thank goodness.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The "vicious" little yappy dogs across the street from us are inside at night and aren't let out until later in the morning, thank goodness.

Some people think it’s normal for small (and also not so small) dogs to bark continuously. Obviously it isn’t and it is beyond me why the owners would not look into it rather than assume it’s “the way they are”. Stereotypic behavior in any species warrants an investigation and is a sign that something is not quite ok. 😔

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2