Posted (edited)

In my youth, people in west central Maine used to swear by a concoction called Old Woodsman. That was in the days before DEET. I don't know what the active ingredient was (probably DDT or something equally ghastly) but the carrier was kerosene and creosote. It had a frightfully powerful smell that would not go away until you had showered several times.  Since everyone used it, though, it became part of the background aroma. The bottom line was that the stuff worked.  It repelled mosquitos, black flies, and deer flies as well as bears, moose and tourists. I doubt that it's still around -- probably outlawed by the FDA like so many of the things we used to inflict ourselves with before the world got smarter.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

In my youth, people in west central Maine used to swear by a concoction called Old Woodsman. That was in the days before DEET. I don't know what the active ingredient was (probably DDT or something equally ghastly) but the carrier was kerosene and creosote. It had a frightfully powerful smell that would not go away until you had showered several times.  Since everyone used it, though, it became part of the background aroma. The bottom line was that the stuff worked.  It repelled mosquitos, black flies, and deer flies as well as bears, moose and tourists. I doubt that it's still around -- probably outlawed by the FDA like so many of the things we used to inflict ourselves with before the world got smarter.

This stuff? https://www.oletimewoodsman.com/en-ca/collections/the-ole-time-woodsman-fly-dope-story

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It repelled mosquitos, black flies, and deer flies as well as bears, moose and tourists.

It sounds like it was probably also an effective "passive" form of birth control!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

They still make Ole Woodsman fly dope. I don’t know what the original formula was, but nowadays the carrier is liquid paraffin and the repellent effect is achieved by pine tar (really effective).

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Our immune system, as that of all animals, is complex and it learns by exposure. There are two factors at play, and I am oversimplifying to be honest :)  1. We all produce certain chemicals that mosquitos find "attractive". Some of us produce more and some less, and this can vary over our lifetime.  2. With repeated exposure to mosquito saliva, our immune system stops recognizing the proteins as pathogens, hence stopping the Th1 and Th2 response. This can change if we become exposed to a different genera, for example if we travel to an exotic location never visited before thus encountering a new mosquito specie.

Thank you for the explanation.  I just found it interesting when we went camping with the kids that they, and my husband, were all getting eaten alive while they weren't bothering me much at all.  I did have a few land and bite but had no adverse reactions.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Mosquito weather, and evidently I’m delicious! 

I'm so itchy, help! 😭

I hate them too. Mosquitoes flock to me like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

If only my exes were this in love with me as the mosquitos are.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

2 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

They still make Ole Woodsman fly dope. I don’t know what the original formula was, but nowadays the carrier is liquid paraffin and the repellent effect is achieved by pine tar (really effective).

Ooo!   That's the stuff!  So it's pine tar?  That makes sense.  I should have been skeptical about the creosote.  That strong smell, though, probably was kerosene in the original.  I remember our youth leader telling us not to stand too close to the campfire. 

• Like 2

Tar is one of my favourite scents, best thing with visiting Finland is the tar-flavoured liquorice. 

Terva-leijona-1.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Thank you for the explanation.  I just found it interesting when we went camping with the kids that they, and my husband, were all getting eaten alive while they weren't bothering me much at all.  I did have a few land and bite but had no adverse reactions.  

I have the same experience, I used to get awful reactions when I was young, they used to bite me around the eyes, at night, I was in bed. I used to wake up with swollen eyelids, it was awful. My kids were the same and now we all seem to have milder or no reaction at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ooo!   That's the stuff!  So it's pine tar?  That makes sense.  I should have been skeptical about the creosote.  That strong smell, though, probably was kerosene in the original.  I remember our youth leader telling us not to stand too close to the campfire. 

For sure, pine tar works.. we make home made sprays for horses and cattle and spray around their legs and feet, not the body as it’s quite sticky so I use regular fly spray for that. Kerosene is liquid paraffin, so they still use that but no creosote 😅😅 still stay clear of fires if you use fly dope Rolig ! 

7 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

still stay clear of fires if you use fly dope Rolig ! 

Although fire will also ward off mosquitos.

1390414019_m132_armored_flamethrower_in_

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Tar is one of my favourite scents, best thing with visiting Finland is the tar-flavoured liquorice. 

Terva-leijona-1.jpg

Don’t they say in Finland.. “if sauna, vodka or terva don’t help then your disease is fatal” or something like that 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Don’t they say in Finland.. “if sauna, vodka or terva don’t help then your disease is fatal” or something like that 😂

Yep! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Peeve...sock puppet Tuesdays.  I thought it was supposed to be Taco Tuesdays.  🤔

I ruined it all by making pizza tonight, keto pizza at that.  I'm sorry 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oops, lemme toss one in for the vegans, too.

To be honest, the vegan imitation hamburger crumbs tasted better, in my opinion, than real hamburger.  I found a cheese alternative as well, that stuff was delicious.  I used to use that for tacos, and nachos, along with a healthy helping of hot salsa.

https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-cheese/

I liked it much better than nacho cheese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

To be honest, the vegan imitation hamburger crumbs tasted better, in my opinion, than real hamburger.  I found a cheese alternative as well, that stuff was delicious.  I used to use that for tacos, and nachos, along with a healthy helping of hot salsa.

That does look good!

I don't eat vegan, though. I'm pretty much the opposite - ya gotta force me into vegetables and I looove cheese despite it not loving me. I adore fruit, too, and I make a MEAN smoothie, but gimme allllllll da meat. Not fish or most shellfish, though. I'll make a special exception for fried clams and good calamari's acceptable, but not shrimp unless there's coconut, and even then...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Istelathis said:

This also looks perfect for making broccoli or cauliflower with a cheesy sauce. Yumyum! 

my peeve: STILL ITCHY AF. I  use Lemon eucalyptus oil spray repellant and it works well - when I remember. Which I usually do. But once in a while I forget and get nommed up past all reason.  I give up, ima take an antihistimine! One way ticket to sleepy-derp town. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

Peeve: I have to travel for work this weekend, and be away for a whole week.

I'll miss my Huskies terribly.

I also don't want to take both my work notebook AND my personal notebook used for SL..so won't be doing any scripting for a whole week.  Guess I could take my iOS  and Android tablet and fart around with Mobile..

• Sad 2

On 7/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, Istelathis said:

keto pizza

How are you making the crust?  I frequently buy a cauliflower crust pizza that's pretty good, but would like to make my own crust from scratch.

• Like 1

I hate those stupid pesky annoying mosquitos. They were buzzing around me trying to bite me. All. Day. Long. I walked outside for a little while, and when I walked back inside I literally thought to myself, "huh, I bet there's a mosquito on my left arm" so I looked down, and lo and behold, a mosquito was biting my left arm just as I thought! I don't think I've ever smashed one of those little annoyances with more fury than I did that one.

33 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How are you making the crust?  I frequently buy a cauliflower crust pizza that's pretty good, but would like to make my own crust from scratch.

I use King Arthur pizza crust, that I get from Target

GUEST_3e84ed9d-dae0-438e-ad90-92effeca31

It is pretty good :D  

They sell it on their site as well, for the same price I get it at Target

https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/keto-wheat-pizza-crust-mix

It uses yeast to rise the flour, and takes about an hour before it is ready to stretch out an make your pizza with.  One box will make a decent sized pizza, usually it will feed four of us.  The whole pizza would be 16 carbs for the dough alone, now that I am thinking of it though, I might grab myself another box in the future to make fried dough (elephant ears.. whatever other hundred or so names it goes by)

Edited by Istelathis
flower, lol 🌸.. I just woke up from a nap.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

King Arthur pizza crust

Thanks. Checking it out at Amazon now. There's other types too (gluten free). Amazing how they lowered the carbs. I tried making one once with an odd flour I discovered I was allergic to :(  There can be downsides when trying to be healthy!

• Like 1