1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Peeve: Knowing that you are going to miss the eclipse a couple of hours ahead of time, because it's a cloudy overcast day.

Maybe it'll still get a little dim here.. hehehe

Seen one, seen them all I figure. 

IKR, once you've seen the beauty of the ocean or the stars shining at night, or the majestic mountains...why experience it again?  Why experience anything but our addled left brains controlling and interpreting our world?

The eclipse was AWESOME.  The light withdrew and the night birds began chirping, and strange shadows were cast.  It's still dark in my house.  During the last partial eclipse one of my cats kind of freaked out, pacing back and forth across some unusual shadows cast on the deck.

*A neighbor came out and gave me her safety classes so I could see the moon blocking the sun.  I'd been wishing I had some.

Strangely, some kind of circular shadow was cast on a haze of clouds, so underneath the sun/moon there was a cloud haze in a near-perfect circular shape.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

It just passed over here: Toronto got a 99.98% eclipse, but the cloud cover was far too heavy to see anything.

It DID get very weirdly dark for about 2 mins, during which time the street lights went on automatically.

A teeny bit underwhelming, however. Sadly.

Definitely a peeve.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It just passed over here: Toronto got a 99.98% eclipse, but the cloud cover was far too heavy to see anything.

It DID get very weirdly dark for about 2 mins, during which time the street lights went on automatically.

A teeny bit underwhelming, however. Sadly.

Definitely a peeve.

It needs a more exciting plot. Something something, falling into a well, something something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It needs a more exciting plot. Something something, falling into a well, something something.

Well, ever since I read John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids as a young'un, I've had this barely masked terror of looking at weird sky phenomenon like meteor showers. Because maybe THIS is the one that will strike everyone around the globe blind, leading to the collapse of civilization, and unleashing terrifying man-eating plants upon a helpless population!

Could happen!

Day-of-the-Triffids-1962-6.jpg

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, ever since I read John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids as a young'un, I've had this barely masked terror of looking at weird sky phenomenon like meteor showers. Because maybe THIS is the one that will strike everyone around the globe blind, leading to the collapse of civilization, and unleashing terrifying man-eating plants upon a helpless population!

Could happen!

Well that's horrifying!

This also reminds me that I haven't really taken a good deep dive into an apocalyptic book in a long freakin' time. Ballard's The Crystal World is the last one that unnerved me. I read King's Cell long after that, but that one was just silly. Opening sequence was kind of fun cheese, though.

I do have some fun books I still need to poke through.

Peeve: remember when Ebay had great sales on paperbacks often? I bought a bunch back then. Feels like ages ago!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

IKR, once you've seen the beauty of the ocean or the stars shining at night, or the majestic mountains...why experience it again?  Why experience anything but our addled left brains controlling and interpreting our world?

Well maybe it is the left brain thinking that leads to conspiracies but ultimately to results in the progress of science.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, but three quarters of those centred on a certain important politician who somewhat idiotically just stared at the eclipse without glasses.

I saw on YouTube this time around that a considerably less important politician said the eclipse is some kind of judgement from God.

(This is what happens when home schooling doesn't include real science.)

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I saw on YouTube this time around that a considerably less important politician said the eclipse is some kind of judgement from God.

Seems to me Science explains how it happens while preachers and I guess politicians try to answer why it happens.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Why it happens is the same as how it happens. 

Not really. There are still questions being asked by astrophysicists as to why we have the sort of eclipses we do for example. There is plenty of other examples too where Science is less concerned with the Why of a thing then the How.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

And public schools too sadly.

• Like 2

Peeve:  Waking up early and spending an hour ranting in my brain at all the things that bother me.  It's all right now though.  I got up and made first breakfast.

I think I might be a closet Hobbit.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo.
  • Like 3

Peeve: Yesterday while walking girl-husky down a road with no sidewalks, a truck stopped behind us and the passenger angrily shouted at me. (Things like, "it's a road", and "a-hole".)

This shouldn't bother me!  But it did!

More info: They COULD have gone around us, but there was someone riding a bike on the other  / wrong side of the road..(And, I COULD have walked in the "ditch"..)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Could happen!

...And I really got hot, when I saw Janette Scott, fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is that from a RHPS lyric?

Yes!!! "Science Fiction Double Feature".

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

...And I really got hot, when I saw Janette Scott, fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills...

lol I'd forgotten about this.

Confession: I've never seen the movie!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

lol I'd forgotten about this.

Confession: I've never seen the movie!

Be sure to watch the movie before considering watching the recent TV special (or Broadway version).

Just a suggestion for the "best experience"! 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Be sure to watch the movie before considering watching the recent TV special (or Broadway version).

Just a suggestion for the "best experience"! 🙂

There's a Broadway version??????