1 minute ago, PheebyKatz said:

Peeve: Youtube is now threatening to cut me off after 3 videos, because Adblock.

If they're so desperate for more and more money that they have to get thuggy and hold their content hostage, maybe they should try a good rehab, instead. Crack must have gone up in price or something.

Check out the Brave browser.  Thank you @Arielle Popstar!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

Peeve: Youtube is now threatening to cut me off after 3 videos, because Adblock.

If they're so desperate for more and more money that they have to get thuggy and hold their content hostage, maybe they should try a good rehab, instead. Crack must have gone up in price or something.

Or maybe they should all just try their own product, instead of going out and partying all night. It's cheaper than crack, anyway.

You need to switch to using ublock origin and perform the daily update of the filter list, it's possible to keep blocking them but YouTube are apparently making changes daily or even twice a day to try and defeat ublock origin.

Details helpfully provided in their subreddit, it's easy and fast to do every day if you need to: https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/178yasm/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_16_2023/

Relevant instruction is this:

3. Force an update of ONLY the uBlock filters – Quick fixes list. <== This is within the extension. Lists are what determine what's blocked or not. And this list is where we counter YouTube.

How to update \"uBlock filters - Quick fixes\" list - video tutorial

How to update Filter lists: Click 🛡️ uBO's icon > the ⚙ Dashboard button > the Filter lists pane > the 🕘 clock icon at the end of the uBlock filters – Quick fixes list > the 🔃 Update now button.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

Or maybe they should all just try their own product, instead of going out and partying all night. It's cheaper than crack, anyway.

When I signed up for Youtube Premium, I was pleased to see that one thing that did was make it so the Phone YouTube app would "stay open/playing" even if I locked the phone.  That, plus of course..no ads.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Am I the only one not regularly on YouTube?

Probably not.

I love YouTube though... it's like perfect TV, there's such niche, detailed content on there. Lots of awful stuff too of course but if you're interested in very specific things it usually has people making content for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Probably not.

I love YouTube though... it's like perfect TV, there's such niche, detailed content on there. Lots of awful stuff too of course but if you're interested in very specific things it usually has people making content for it.

It's like a magazine.. There are good articles in it, but also a lot of junk trying to sell you something/click bait.. hehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I really don't know, but as it's one of my favourite go to places on the internet, and I am something of a dinosaur (understatement), you're probably more typical than I am. I don't do discord or WhatsApp which are probably much more trendy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I really don't know, but as it's one of my favourite go to places on the internet, and I am something of a dinosaur (understatement), you're probably more typical than I am. I don't do discord or WhatsApp which are probably much more trendy.

Discord actually makes me angry, I just do not get it at all!

I think I already ranted about it in an earlier post though so I'll not get into it hehe

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Discord actually makes me angry, I just do not get it at all!

I think I already ranted about it in an earlier post though so I'll not get into it hehe

I never touched discord myself.. I'm trying to cut down on the stuff I have on the internet as it is..

• Like 3

I'm rather fond of the "game cinematic" movies on youtube, many of them are BETTER than actual movies made by Hollywood.

This is especially true during the "festive" season, when real movies all seem to be warm fuzzy comedies, that simply don't make me laugh, about festive family drama, but on the tube, I can watch a 4 hr movie, with decent scriptwriting, a better cast ( many top Hollywood names do game voiceovers ), and then, I can watch the 4 hr cinematic movies for the 4 follow up games in the series.

That's enough to see me right through the Xmas Entertainment Dead Zone.

• Like 1

My only regular use of youtube is when my husband and I are both working from home (we share an office) and he sometimes gets a bit loud on meetings.  When he does, I put on the headphones and play music via youtube.

Outside of that, I only sometimes go there when someone posts a link that looks interesting.

Despite my ad block software, here and at work, I've had no trouble playing music videos for hours on end while working.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I keep track of internet friends there...kind of like the old messenger service of years ago...and without the dreaded FarceBook!

I don't really keep track of anyone on the internet.. Relatives send cards with letters telling what's been going on.. We do the same, which I really enjoy..

I've had people try to talk me into things like face book and twitter and what ever the others are.. I never really wanted any part of those.. I'd much rather site down and read a letter or write one..

• Like 3

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

I'd much rather site down and read a letter or write one..

I've had a few pen pals in my life...very rewarding. One pen pal was a librarian in Canada, another was a student in New Zealand (part of some class project).  I think it's becoming a lost art though, and that's a shame.

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I'm rather fond of the "game cinematic" movies on youtube, many of them are BETTER than actual movies made by Hollywood.

This is especially true during the "festive" season, when real movies all seem to be warm fuzzy comedies, that simply don't make me laugh, about festive family drama, but on the tube, I can watch a 4 hr movie, with decent scriptwriting, a better cast ( many top Hollywood names do game voiceovers ), and then, I can watch the 4 hr cinematic movies for the 4 follow up games in the series.

That's enough to see me right through the Xmas Entertainment Dead Zone.

I don't watch movies, either.   I'm just an oddball.  If I'm listening to music while reading, I might look up the video to.post on the music thread here but that's about it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't watch movies, either.   I'm just an oddball.  If I'm listening to music while reading, I might look up the video to.post on the music thread here but that's about it.

You aren't missing much.. Good movies are hard to come by these days.. You've probably seen anything coming out today, before.. Because most of the movies are rehashes or reselling the same stories over again or trying to get every drop of something that was popular in the first movie..

CGI is way over used. 

It's so bad nowadays that I couldn't care less if the script writers and actors strike ever gets resolved..

I hope scabs cross the line and we get some new blood.. LOL

Peeve: all this talk about YouTube's anti-adblock crusade (not just here, it's all over zhe Interwebs) - and yet mine works flawlessly (the one time it didn't was with a weirdly embedded video at a recipe site, but since I always go to YouTube anyway to play it in cinematic view anyways, that didn't really matter).

I don't get to join in the outrage! Huffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: all this talk about YouTube's anti-adblock crusade (not just here, it's all over zhe Interwebs) - and yet mine works flawlessly (the one time it didn't was with a weirdly embedded video at a recipe site, but since I always go to YouTube anyway to play it in cinematic view anyways, that didn't really matter).

I don't get to join in the outrage! Huffs.

Which one do you use? Do tell. Please. 😁

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, I'm that seldom on You Tube that I can't justify for myself to go premium.
An occasional music video and that is about it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Almost Saturday again.
  • Like 3