2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I interact in the forums as well as inworld and behave/express myself exactly the same.  Also, if I don't like you here, I'm pretty sure I'll not like you inworld either.  I've chatted with a few folks inworld from the forum and found them to be the same there as here.

Unless you see the forums as some sort of roleplay, this would seem to be the place to meet the 'real' you.  Especially for those who see inworld as all some RP thing.

I first thought the forums were an extension of inworld RP, but I realized they are not that. I've met a few people from here. Only one person was different. They were nice here, and horrible inworld.  

I'm exactly the same here as I am inworld, except I might be female sometimes.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Sorry, but I have to say this. You're here in the forums BECAUSE you have an inworld account. This is a public forum. There is no way you can have the level of interaction here that you can have inworld.  Being in the forums is NOT true interaction.  Sometimes fate can rob people of things in RL,  but SL gives the opportunity to have control over those fates. To do what we want. To experience what we need. There is no need for you to be alone if this thread or the forums get closed. All you have to do is open your viewer and login. It's only a waste if you ALLOW it to be. 

Bagnu, You seem to have directed this post to @Silent Mistwalker. I can't speak for her, but I can speak for myself

I treat these forums as an extension of Second Life, sort of like being in an inworld group, but without the taxing strain on my computer that SL provides. When I'm in SL, I don't socialize much "face to face", but do chat in groups and IMs. I like to use SL to decompress by listening to my music stream while trying skins, hair and clothes on my avatars and sorting and weeding my inventory. Sometimes I like to explore inworld and enjoy virtual views. Sometimes I like to help newbies. Frequently I'm picking up gifts while trying to get in and out of those shops and events that have those goodies as quickly as possible.

I think communicating through text is a real and valid way of communicating with people. It doesn't matter to me if we're presenting as avatars of not. - Our avatars don't display real facial expressions or body language, so seeing them doesn't provide much more information than text alone does - except perhaps that how we dress up our avatar can tell something about our personal identity, mood and interests.

We discuss our experience in SL here, but we also discuss our experiences in RL. Another forum that is not SL related would not allow us to effectively discuss our experiences in SL and how being a *resident* in SL affects our view of ourselves and each other. You know as well as I do, that most of the regulars here on this forum don't view SL the same as we would most video games. I think most of us view our avatars as extensions of our Self, not just as vehicles for shooting at stuff, creating stuff, and leveling up in a game.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:
3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

There can be any number of reasons. People bring very different experiences here and they have very different histories with SL. I think it's presumptuous to decide that any resident's personal appreciation of SL disqualifies them from being part of the forum conversation or makes them less worthy of respect.

My point is, they should actually HAVE a history, and have an inworld life. I can't comment on relationships in another country, because I don't live there, or are a part of the culture.

I doubt seriously that there are many people here in the forums who do not have an in-world history. The regulars here have been SL residents for many years -- many of us for 15 years or more. You may question whether a person spends as much time in world today as they do in the forums, but that's a bit of a red herring.

Our history of in-world activity varies, of course.  It is common for folks to take a vacation every once in a while, and sometimes those vacations last for a few years. Look around and see how many of us have stepped away from SL for a while and then come back. We take a break when RL interests demand our attention, when in-world challenges become too intense, and sometimes just because we feel like stepping back to take a breath. We each bring a collective experience of long-term participation in SL here and in world. That's what counts, not how many hours a week we are in world at the moment.  

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I don't know anything about you or your situation. How could I? You're only here on the forums.

I know a lot about certain people on the forums from the forums.  I'm sure some know more about me from the forums than I share inworld.  Even though we're only supposed to discuss SL things here now, people still add themselves into posts.  You're Canadian.  You're married. Your SL is mostly adult centered.  You think child avs should be banned.   You often post TMI.  The list goes on.  

Your statement is one of the silliest things I've heard.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The forums have always just been a part of SL as far as I have  seen them.. I just call the grid, in world and then there is here.. A lot of the time I have both going at the same time, like right now for instance..

I know I communicate more with the same people here, where in world I meet different people..  It's always nice running into someone in world from here..

Really the only difference I've ever seen between the two is this.. What happens on the forusm usually stays on the forums and pretty much anyone I have run into in world from here, it's always been respectful.. Even if we had disagreements on here.. that's about the only time I never cross the streams between here and there..

I think it's nice to be able to still have disagreements when they happen,  yet still being able to have some giggles with those same people after all these years..Plus  treat what goes on in here as what goes on in here and not in world..

Really bumping into someone in world from here is kind of like bumping into a long lost friend.. Someone you don't want to just walk on past without saying something like hello, or  Boo! \o/ I see you over there.. hehehe

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I know a lot about certain people on the forums from the forums.  I'm sure some know more about me from the forums than I share inworld.  Even though we're only supposed to discuss SL things here now, people still add themselves into posts.  You're Canadian.  You're married. Your SL is mostly adult centered.  You think child avs should be banned.   You often post TMI.  The list goes on.  

Your statement is one of the silliest things I've heard.

Yes, that's basic information, Can you tell me what my real name is,  what I do for a living, how many days I work,  What makes me happy or what my greatest fears are, where I go on the weekends and what I do there?  Or what I look like in RL, or what my house looks look, or what my computer room looks like? You don't. Between my two relationships, they have that information, and I have that about them as well, just varying between the two from both ends. So yeah. we really CAN get to to know people here on the forums.

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Yes, that's basic information, Can you tell me what my real name is,  what I do for a living, how many days I work,  What makes me happy or what my greatest fears are, where I go on the weekends and what I do there?  Or what I look like in RL, or what my house looks look, or what my computer room looks like? You don't. Between my two relationships, they have that information, and I have that about them as well, just varying between the two from both ends. So yeah. we really CAN get to to know people here on the forums.

I'm a bit late to this, so I'm not entirely certain what we're arguing, but that's all information that goes far beyond what is generally shared in-world.

From the forums, I think we do have some insights into something of the things that make you happy -- and maybe an inkling of your fears? But I don't think the kinds of things you're discussing are a function of where we get to know each other. You don't share a lot of that intimate detail with anyone in-world but those involved in relationships with you, so it's not really because of knowing them in-world: it's a question simply of how much you choose to share with others, wherever you may happen to engage with them. You could share all of that here too. (And some of it, I'd argue, you have.)

I also don't think that what your computer room looks like, or where you go on weekends constitute the most important or interesting things to know about you.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Peeve:

A well-known and generally very reliable maker of women's clothing -- mostly a little conservative, but very nice -- has taken to selling her garments without HUDs that allow one to customize things like sashes, belts, and other touches. It means that if you buy a forest green dress, you are stuck with whatever colour she's chosen for the sash that goes with it. And although mostly her taste is ok . . . I would like SOME control over the accessories and touches.

I'm not sure if maybe this is limited to single colours: maybe there's a HUD to control those with the FPs? But she indicates that nowhere, and the FP HUD that comes with the demo doesn't include it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am peeved that you didn't seem to post as much today! (Hope all is well.)

Awww. Well, it's nice to be missed! I did post a couple of pics! And did some shopping in-world.

Just taking a bit of a day away from the forums! As one does.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Anthony McGregor said:

Peeve: Billboard designers that don't think things through. This is a hotdog. Imagine driving past this with your grandmother!

mmexport1696135311428.thumb.jpg.bb65e4874ed6df66f48f065c2eb0ff0f.jpg

I somehow suspect this is not unintentional?

(My grandmother would have cracked a dirty joke.)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Our grandmothers knew about "sausages".

You and I wouldn't be here if they hadn't!

My (English) grandmother delighted in shocking me, and would regale me with the etymology of just about every filthy word or phrase in the language. Occasionally, she even got it right!

I miss her. She was a hoot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: I didn't know that knowing what someone's computer room looks like was a criteria for actually knowing someone - guess all those friends I thought I had was a lie!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Peeve or positive? I can't decide. I hate how much ugly Halloween stuff is in the weekend sales right now. But it stops me from spending so much money, which is a good thing.

My increasing peeve: So many uggly avatars and ridiculous clothing in the weekend sales listings. And that isn't because of Halloween.
I know, mileages vary and all.... but sigh.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

Peeve: Assuming "knowing what someone's computer room looks like" is code for "we spoke on webcam".

Ewww..TMI!

(Why "Ewwww"? If all you did was "speak" on webcam, then there's no need for a euphemism such as "know what my computer room looks like".)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4