Time at top of viewer says PDT and not SLT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, BelindaMercedes said:

Hadn't noticed this before.  And was almost certain the current time in world used to say SLT.  But mine now says PDT.  I realise they are the same.  But am I imagining that it used to say SLT?

ehm to be honest i never seen slt on firestorm ?

Edited by Alwin Alcott

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

More importantly, does it actually matter?

It does if you didn't know SLT was same as PDT... and lived in a different country time zone.  you'd never then actually be sure it was showing you the SLT.  You'd need to know they are the same time zones to know that.  And some people may/will not.. So yep.. it may matter to some people.  

• Like 2

I agree with @BelindaMercedes. This is a minor annoyance that's existed since forever.

LL should change that time to read "SLT", especially since much of the world does not use or understand the strange US custom of "Daylight Savings Time".

Another thing they should change: make ALL times shown in the viewer SLT. Some notifications about when a message was received appear in your local time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I agree with @BelindaMercedes. This is a minor annoyance that's existed since forever.

LL should change that time to read "SLT", especially since much of the world does not use or understand the strange US custom of "Daylight Savings Time".

Another thing they should change: make ALL times shown in the viewer SLT. Some notifications about when a message was received appear in your local time.

All good observations.  LL started using "PDT" regularly instead of "SLT" sometime around 2009, if I recall properly, but SLT has remained popular. The rationale was debated in the forums briefly, with some voices pointing out that "SLT" doesn't appear among any standard time zone abbreviations, so it's confusing to newcomers. Other people pointed out, as you have just now, that anyone outside the U.S. will find "PDT/PST" just as confusing. To make things even more confusing, many scripts in common use tell time by referring to the LSL function llGetTimestamp, which produces a time and date in UTC (which, confusingly, is what many of us learned as "GMT" -- Greenwich Mean Time).  I suspect that's common in scripts that send out a lot of notices.

Fortunately, most of the time it really doesn't make much difference to most people, because we aren't often hurrying to make a 8:00 a.m. staff meeting. For much of our time in SL, we can ignore the RL clock happily.  We're on vacation here. 😎 When time does make a difference, we can refer to the time that our own computers tell us is "local time", in the lower right corner of the screen (in most operating systems).  We're used to talking with people in wildly different time zones already, so starting with everyone's familiar local RL time zone is the safest solution.

• Like 2

As a non-USA resident, I find SLT to be a highly confusing concept around the time that "Daylight Savings" or "Summer time" variations kick in or out. SLT is "SLT" in both phases, so a knowledge of the exact dates that the changes occur is required. This would be easier if the USA and Europe changed times on the same dates, but they don't. Okay, I admit that it is only a couple of weeks each time that the clocks change when confusion reigns, but it would be completely avoided if Pacific Standard Time or Pacific Daylight Time (PST/PDT) were used instead of SLT.

Just to add into the mix, not everywhere changes times anyway. So, my vote goes to displaying exactly where Second Life is, at any time of the year, by displaying PST or PDT as appropriate. At least that way we'd know exactly where to start our conversion from. Now to get the plussing or minussing right!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Odaks said:

Just to add into the mix, not everywhere changes times anyway.

Yes. Second Life's data center used to be near Phoenix, AZ, which does not use daylight savings time. That may be where SLT came from.

Starting next year, the US will go on daylight savings time and stay there. No return to standard time in November 2023.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, animats said:

Yes. Second Life's data center used to be near Phoenix, AZ, which does not use daylight savings time. That may be where SLT came from.

Starting next year, the US will go on daylight savings time and stay there. No return to standard time in November 2023.

Has that bill actually passed the Congress yet?  I didn't think it had.

Edited by Rowan Amore

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Has that bill actually passed the Congress yet?  I didn't think it had.

I am no fan of Daylight Savings Time, but I hope that bill does NOT pass. Yes, there should be a standard, but it should be Standard Time, not DST. Why would the USA want to be one hour off from everyone else in the world?

Oh, right, of course. And around here, we set pi equal to 3.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:46 AM, BelindaMercedes said:

Hadn't noticed this before.  And was almost certain the current time in world used to say SLT.  But mine now says PDT.  I realise they are the same.  But am I imagining that it used to say SLT?

LL made the change some years ago because enough people complained it was confusing for them.

SLT stood for Standard Linden Time which is the same as PST/PDT.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

On the west coast, Washington and Oregon have agreed to ditch DST but only if when California does it. 

The whole thing is just absolutely stupid. WWII ended almost 80 years ago! FFS! Enough is enough! Stop torturing me!

🤬🔥🤬

On 10/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, animats said:

As mentioned, this hasn't been finalized.  The bill passed the Senate in mid March of this year, but so far the House has not done anything with it yet.  There hasn't been any statement of when or if the House will consider the bill.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.