What do you think of the trend to sell clothing in individual body packs?

Stephanie Misfit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Yeah the value could be huge for those makers that support lesser used bodies still, I've always liked seeing one of my favorite creators (Dolly Daydream) still supporting Tonic Fine even though I don't use it.

It's not like they're under false impressions either, having some hard numbers to support their continued commitment to more niche bodies might help them keep supporting it.

They might also find out some other interesting things, like if people with Kupra bodies buy more booty shorts and people with Belleza bodies buy more skater skirts, or something similar. Body choice is at least partly driven by fashion or aesthetics of some kind so maybe we will see some interesting diversification rather than everything for everyone.

• Like 3

I think if they price things right, they shouldn't really be a problem.. I'd much rather get something at a better price than pay for a pack and getting charged for other body versions in it that i don't even use. A fuller folder doesn't mean more value if you're only using one or two of them in it..

I just know I'm done paying crazy prices.. I seen at the belleza event, a fatpack of like 6 panties for like 1200 that really were not even that good of a product.. Zero texturing that looked like it was cut with paper scissors in photoshop and all pastels..

It honestly feels like we were switched over to fatpacks craze to make it easier  to get  the higher prices out of us..  Honestly, how many versions of something in a fatpack does everyone use? the whole thing or just a few colors?

Most of the colors are so bright that I don't even bother with them anymore and started getting the singles that are priced right that look good..

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

. And I do buy full permission items and texture them myself,

I do this too. I admit, I like fatpacks, especially for Indra who will wear any colour as long as it's bright, but many of them are so ridiculously expensive, and it's ironic that the full perm template is often cheaper than a fatpack of commercial clothing made from the very same template. Tammi is awkward; she wears primarily red and black but she likes plaids and punk patterns and those are fairly rare in store bought clothing but with a full perm kit it's easy to do that.

Would I buy single body fatpacks? If they are cheaper than a multi-body pack, and if it helps creators know how much I want to see more stuff rigged for Erika and Reborn, YES. 

In fact this whole conversation is making me consider re-starting the little template-based clothing store that one of my other alts has, and start releasing clothes based on this exact method. (Most of the stuff I've put on sale is stuff I originally made because I wanted it for myself). 

Just think - a mainstore which is divided into sections based on body size, so you can just go to the secton of the store which is for your particular favourite body, and you don't have to trawl through all the vendors looking and hoping to find something in a size you want.

21 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I think a nice balance to suit most people would be to sell single colour packs for multiple bodies, and colour fatpacks for single bodies.

DING!  I think we just might have a winner here.  If they're priced right (at around L$500) the people who still want to buy for multiple bodies will still be able to get up to 5 different sizes for equal to or less than the price of most current multi-body fatpacks.

• Like 1

I don't really care.  I only use Maitreya-fit (Lara, Petite, Lucybody), and Slink Physique occasionally.   I evaluate each purchase against the 1000's of outfits I already own, and only buy it if it really gives me something I want.  So no demo, no sale. I have also added no Petite, no sale recently.  It's amazing how terrible some things look on a 5'3" petite.

• Like 2

I'm pretty meticulous about sorting my clothing folders. Though I tend to stick to one body at the moment, I appended all the product folders with a letter for each body it supports (Shirt X - BLS showing that shirt fits Jake, Legacy and Signature). So I'm sort of used to skimming my closet like "nope... that won't fit," anyway. As long as I know what I'm getting upfront, I'm good with stuff being packaged in various ways. I love having options. I guess the market will decide if this is a popular one or not.

Ultimately all my purchases follow a simple "is it worth it for me?" system. Well calling it a system is a bit much since it's completely arbitrary. It's mostly a blend of a near endless amount of factors. How good is the rigging, do I like the texture work, how well does it blend with other clothes? Since I only use two bodies (Maitreya and Legacy), the single color/multi body offering does have some value to me - but in general what I most often struggle with is blending the right colours. Thus if provided with a choice, I'd go for the offering that gives me more colours to pick from.

That said, I kind of expect this to turn into single color for single body before long. And also it needs to be the right price. Despite needing more colours, I just don't buy fatpacks most of the time. No slight on creators, it's already cheap enough as it is - I get it - but the practice just makes me personally uncomfortable.

/edit:

To clarify, the practice of charging much more for other colours. I'm more understanding if it's genuinely different textures but just blended colors is... eh.

Edited by ValKalAstra

Interesting trend. I only run with Maitreya, so it doesn't really affect me all that much, and usually only buy single colour items anyway, since I find most fatpacks from the main stores very expensive when I compare them to the value someone like HH offers.

Sure, Mimikri or Dead Doll are a bit hipper fashion-wise, but HH offers value like no one else in SL.

If this trend meant I could get a full range of colours with an outfit for my Maitreya body at a reasonable price (say L500 or less) than yay! but I don't think that's happening.

In other words, more HH!!! (I keep saying if HH made lingerie to the level of MUSE or erratic, I'd probably buy nothing but HH stuff.)

20 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Interesting trend. I only run with Maitreya, so it doesn't really affect me all that much, and usually only buy single colour items anyway, since I find most fatpacks from the main stores very expensive when I compare them to the value someone like HH offers.

Sure, Mimikri or Dead Doll are a bit hipper fashion-wise, but HH offers value like no one else in SL.

If this trend meant I could get a full range of colours with an outfit for my Maitreya body at a reasonable price (say L500 or less) than yay! but I don't think that's happening.

In other words, more HH!!! (I keep saying if HH made lingerie to the level of MUSE or erratic, I'd probably buy nothing but HH stuff.)

You should check out Yeliz and Ben's Beauty, too.  Both sell fatpacks at low prices.  I'm sure it's a mesh template but I have several outfits from all of them and love to mix and match pieces.

Second Life Marketplace   Ben's 

Second Life Marketplace   Yeliz

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think if they price things right, they shouldn't really be a problem.. I'd much rather get something at a better price than pay for a pack and getting charged for other body versions in it that i don't even use. A fuller folder doesn't mean more value if you're only using one or two of them in it..

I just know I'm done paying crazy prices.. I seen at the belleza event, a fatpack of like 6 panties for like 1200 that really were not even that good of a product.. Zero texturing that looked like it was cut with paper scissors in photoshop and all pastels..

It honestly feels like we were switched over to fatpacks craze to make it easier  to get  the higher prices out of us..  Honestly, how many versions of something in a fatpack does everyone use? the whole thing or just a few colors?

Most of the colors are so bright that I don't even bother with them anymore and started getting the singles that are priced right that look good..

This is all they ever really were. Easy to tell given the ridiculous prices for them, but when people started putting the only good prints in them and charging 1500+L for the fatpack you knew something was up.

This will just be more of a same but end up on a wider scale.

Our rl economy is already hurting. We don't need it on SL too.
I, personally, look forward to all the clothing savings i'll be seeing as I buy even less than I already do on limited.

Edited by CalypsoJewel
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Ignorance isn't bliss.  Who is HH?   Search on MP didn't reveal anything good.

• Like 1

Hilly Haalan is one of my favourites. She uses many of the same templates used by Scandalize, with her own textures, and sells them at about 20% of the price that Scandalize do, but they're just as good. 

Another one to check out, again using many of the same templates but different textures, is Patty CK. This one is a smaller store but they have L$30 and L$35 deals every weekend.

• Like 3

As one who used an Altamura Valentina Body for a short while before getting a Maitreya I was pretty happy that one of my favorite designers Le'La offered multiple bodies and a color change hud with each outfit. So it was easier to see what fitted my body best.

Generally speaking why not offer everything. Not sure how much work it is for the designers. But when I already build an outfit for 4 differen bodies, why not pack it like this

1) singe body/single color

2) single body/multiple colors

3)multiple bodies/single color

4) multiple bodies/multiple colors

I think it would be interesting for designers to ask customers visiting their stores what bodies they are using.

Edited by ChandraKusari

Annoyance for sure. I think they should stop doing that and do it like they used to and sell it as single because you are right we might want a single color or to pick a single whatever else it is and customize it the way we want to. They are definitely obligating us in a way. AND it is more expensive like you said which is not okay whatsoever. They need to seriously change that. It is a nice thing to get everything all in one in a fatpack but it brings so much problems along the way.

Edited by victoravatar

5 hours ago, victoravatar said:

but it brings so much problems along the way.

What problem? If you would pay 300 for a single, full price, item, but now you're paying 500 for all the colors/customization options, how is that a problem? And that seems to be the ratio of the brands splitting it up that way. You could still get a pack with all the bodies for the old fatpack price. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.