Linden Lab vs. The Residents

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If no "tip jars", does that also mean people can't solicit donations for registered RL charities?

I think so, and this is partly why I want 1 tip jar/ parcel to be allowed in Bellisseria. I've seen art galleries, non-profit organisations, and cute RP cafes in Belli that I think could be better supported if they were allowed to have a tip jar. I'd like DJs to be able to have a tip jar. I think that would be a reasonable price to encourage more social events. I think small support groups could use a Linden Home, so a tip jar could help them. I think people could make cute Bed & Breakfast houses, which could also be supported with a tip jar. Even a curiosity shop or garage sale could be fun. 

I might do that right now. I could put some free stuff on a table on Alycia's driveway, put out a Garage Sale or Free sign, and let people help themselves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think you're right. It would be a disaster if casper vend suddenly pulled out or stopped working for some reason

It can put people out of business. Especially if the business is just getting started like mine was when Hippo sold out. 

tl;dr Shortly after Fox acquired Hippo, my account was somehow compromised (no I don't click links) and my creative account was kicked from the support group because the jerk was spamming all my groups. I talked to Hippo support and told them what had happened. They refused to allow me back into the support group. Since I was unable to access the help I needed I had to give up on ever officially opening. My store went belly up before it ever opened thanks to people being spineless jerks.

• Sad 3

I must admit to liking that Bellisseria is one place in SL that cannot have tipjars.  It's one place where it clearly works due to it's popularity.  I'm not generally against people being paid though, quite the opposite.  However, in the case of DJ's for example, I've found myself over the years disliking more and more the seemingly ever-increasing frequency of the calls for people to show their L$ appreciation that happens at so many other events on the grid.  There are plenty enough of places to go and get paid via tips in my opinion.

I'd be fine with the idea of paying for someone's services if I hosted an event and needed those services to make it work but that would be my choice to fund it and I wouldn't expect my guests to necessarily even be aware of the arrangement or to try to recoup that fee from my guests in any way.

I think Bellisseria should be predominately about being fun for all involved and not primarily about getting paid, if someone does not want to do it for the fun because they can only see it as a job, I'd be fine with that too.

I have a question about Belli. 

I know on mainland and private estates/parcels there is a land setting where you can charge X amount of Ls for entry. Can this be done on Belli? Is it "legal" to use that setting in Belli on a "private" parcel?

Or has this setting been truncated out somehow?

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have a question about Belli. 

I know on mainland and private estates/parcels there is a land setting where you can charge X amount of Ls for entry. Can this be done on Belli? Is it "legal" to use that setting in Belli on a "private" parcel?

Or has this setting been truncated out somehow?

Any option to change land access beyond banning in the about land window is disabled in Bellisseria 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, Maitimo said:

Yes we'll probably be paying a commission to Linden Lab on in-world purchases (a sales tax, if you like). But weren't we already paying that commission to Casper anyway?   

Many merchants purchased the premium no commission license.
We do not pay commission to Casper as we purchased the outright premium package at higher cost.
It's that user case which is problematic if LL then try to charge on top.

So I remain OT and don't get deleted:
Linden Lab V Residents - If Caspervend wanted to withdraw from SL I can't see that LL had any choice due to the number of users on the platform using it..   So if that is the case, LL coming into a resident provided service makes sense.   

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know on mainland and private estates/parcels there is a land setting where you can charge X amount of Ls for entry.

Does anybody still do that?

Ages and ages ago, there were some places that showed movies on parcel media, and charged access fees to the parcel as a kind of ticket price for the movies. But otherwise, the very few times I've seen parcels with that setting, it's always seemed either tongue-in-cheek or an attempt to scam the unsuspecting into accidentally paying.

It would function sorta like a tipjar, but it's exotic enough folks may be spooked from actually paying.

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Ages and ages ago, there were some places that showed movies on parcel media, and charged access fees to the parcel as a kind of ticket price for the movies. But otherwise, the very few times I've seen parcels with that setting, it's always seemed either tongue-in-cheek or an attempt to scam the unsuspecting into accidentally paying.

It would function sorta like a tipjar, but it's exotic enough folks may be spooked from actually paying.

I think the last place I encountered pay to access was a couple of years ago.

I never charged access for movie nights.

One thing I have never done in the nearly 2 decades I've been in SL is pay to access. I don't mind a cover charge but there are better ways to do it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I've seen this on Mainland. People will set $L 1000 to allow access to an apparently empty parcel for 10 minutes for something like this.  It seems to be a way to trick unsuspecting folks out of their money.

• Like 3

I've only read page one of this, because there is much to consider. On the one hand I agree with Lindal. On the other hand I get what you others are saying. On another hand, I never thought much about Belli competing with and putting out of business private estates (makes sense though). On the other hand (yes 4 hands now)...

I don't have a pony in this show other than I buy stuff in SL. As @Scylla Rhiadra mentioned, I'll wait to see if as a consumer I am dinged with a price hike. On the other hand, LL is a business and needs to make income. On the other hand...

I am not an ancient avatar, but I've been around for a while, and even though we are under new management, I do remember things that have happened in the past. I thought the news release for the acquisition, via the blog, stated next to nothing other than "bought it" and "yay team" (as I typed in the other thread, only to get derided :eyeroll: ). I think I lean more towards Lindal's cynicism and wariness. I don't see this as a cause for wide-eyed "this is great!" Perhaps cautious optimism? Or perhaps, more to the point, pragmatic realism. What is done is done. What will be done, will be. And the residents and users will just have to suck it up princess.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Funny you should bring MD Labs up, when there was just a thread about their unsatisfactory buyer-side experience, with people having to go directly to the store for redelivery because the terminals don't work. Good if Caspervend is staying viable, if only because the alternatives seem lackluster.

I couldn't find the thread so I am not sure about the context but I did look for an MD Labs redeliver on the MP and couldnt find one. This was months ago. I ended up modifying a full perm one meant for caspervend and just changed the link to one for an MD Store I use a lot. The link seems to expire once in awhile but other than that I haven't had any issues.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.