The third greatest idea I've had - The Reward Button

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Stalking you all and trying to innocently run across you somewhere on the grid?

Seeing @Love Zhaoying once on the grid and surreptitiously snapping like 8 pics of them?

Slippping into a newbie avatar and "coincidentally" running into @Madelaine McMasters on a sim and being cute and begging for money as I hand her a match?

I find this to be an acceptable level of creepiness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Stalking you all and trying to innocently run across you somewhere on the grid?

Seeing @Love Zhaoying once on the grid and surreptitiously snapping like 8 pics of them?

Slippping into a newbie avatar and "coincidentally" running into @Madelaine McMasters on a sim and being cute and begging for money as I hand her a match?

Oh that helps... I had very different ideas of Creepy...

And... what is it you plan to run across me with? And would that be considered a 'reward'?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

And, if memory serves me right, every year there are people who post here in the forums because they received a Valentine gift from someone named "Cupid Linden" -- obviously a griefer who is trying to phish them into some sort of creepy act.

Ohhhhh :(  

But yes, creepy it will seem to a lot of people to receive an anonymous gift out of context.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think that's fine. The context for the exchange is well defined and only those who wish to participate actually do.

Not quite, according to what Rolig just posted. I didn't realise that a lot of people had thought Cupid Linden was a creepy griefer. I only see a tiny part of the forums, especially these days.

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Question, @Bree Giffen- can avatars give each other reward points? I see a use-case where someone can have all their alts give each other points (over and over), thereby elevating all their reward points karmas.

Yes, they could but it should only be a transfer of linden dollars. Having alts give each other rewards between themselves should just be a transfer of money between themselves and not increase any kind of karma counter. We don't want people trying to game the system. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Yes, they could but it should only be a transfer of linden dollars. Having alts give each other rewards between themselves should just be a transfer of money between themselves and not increase any kind of karma counter. We don't want people trying to game the system. 

Thanks, @Bree Giffen!  In case I missed you chiming in with your position:

Should the "Reward Transfer of Linden Dollars" (to spell it out) be anonymous, or not be anonymous?

At least 2 in the thread said they either assumed it should be anonymous, or thought it should be anonymous.

Thanks,

Love

I was thinking the reward would to be given to someone near you so it would not be anonymous. Also, money transactions are all tracked in SL so the receiver would be able to figure out who you were through their transaction listing on the SL website. But why make a person go through those hoops to figure out their benefactor? They should just know immediately who rewarded them.

Should people be able to refuse rewards? Sure. Or maybe they can just reward someone else. There might be a whole chain of people rewarding other people with the money they receive but only one person might stop and actually use their reward to buy something.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I was thinking the reward would to be given to someone near you so it would not be anonymous. Also, money transactions are all tracked in SL so the receiver would be able to figure out who you were through their transaction listing on the SL website. But why make a person go through those hoops to figure out their benefactor? They should just know immediately who rewarded them.

Should people be able to refuse rewards? Sure. Or maybe they can just reward someone else. There might be a whole chain of people rewarding other people with the money they receive but only one person might stop and actually use their reward to buy something.

So basically...the Pay button on the pie menu.  They could change it to...what @Gabriele Gravesjust said.

• Like 2

Like a lot of you, I thought Bree's idea was dumb, but after further consideration, I kinda like it...providing the gift is small, and anonymous.

Let's make it a fixed L$ 10. Let's put that Linden Lovin' button on the screen. Clicking it gives you a list of nearby avatars, and clicking a name sends that person an anonymous L$ 10.

Let's KEEP it anonymous. Instead of your name, that person's Transaction Log would show "Anonymous Gift".

Long live altruism!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Like a lot of you, I thought Bree's idea was dumb, but after further consideration, I kinda like it...providing the gift is small, and anonymous.

I don't think that Bree wanted it to be anonymous though.

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I was thinking the reward would to be given to someone near you so it would not be anonymous.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I don't think that Bree wanted it to be anonymous though.

Yes, but scroll up through the last few pages....

Sadly, making a gift anonymous would mean some accounting slight of hand in the LL bookkeeping office.  They would have to create an entity like Commerce Linden, who handles MP transactions, and then funnel your donation through that account in order for it to show up on the recipient's Transaction History as an anonymous gift.  I'm sue it could be done.  It would just involve some accounting tap dancing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, but scroll up through the last few pages....

Sadly, making a gift anonymous would mean some accounting slight of hand in the LL bookkeeping office.  They would have to create an entity like Commerce Linden, who handles MP transactions, and then funnel your donation through that account in order for it to show up on the recipient's Transaction History as an anonymous gift.  I'm sue it could be done.  It would just involve some accounting tap dancing. 

Nah, they would just have to keep the accounting internal on those items and only display a placeholder to the recipient on their transaction list, etc.  Still there are those people who would want to know.  I know I would.  I don't like the idea of anonymous gifts personally.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I like the idea of a preferences tick box, "Do/Do not accept Reward gifts".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'll only endorse this if the button is called "Linden Lovin'"

(just joking, I still don't see the value proposition here over just paying someone with a nice IM telling them why).

Can they make it call llPlaySound() with a Barry White clip?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.