Forum Advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Slight correction: a flammable offense.

If it were burnable, there's a nice alliteration with bannable, whereas (not whilst) flammable and bannable rhyme.

Which is more bannable, alliteration or rhymes? Spoonerisms or Dad jokes?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

You're welcome to start another thread to discuss the issues raised by that thread as they concern Second Life.   

However, if it goes off into wider discussions about social media and how they might be weaponised, then it will be closed, because that's a debate that could take place anywhere.

What I don't understand is why the threads are now being closed, instead of simply having the off-topic or bait-y posts removed. You make the suggestion to "start another thread but stay on topic this time" but even that is problematic because starting a thread that discusses/references a locked or moderated thread is also against the rules. 

If the thread could be cleaned up (as has been done often) instead of closing it, then the original on-topic debate can continue.

12 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The advice I have now received is that yes, nude images taken in SL (as opposed to RL nude photos, which would be OT for SL) are now allowed in the Adult Forums.   

The one single piece of good news in all of this. Thank you, Quartz.

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well, I know we can't mention who someone's alt is on the forum, so wondered if this was true when speaking to an authority.

I know it's true because I did get a slap for it when I didn't know any better.

I can be pretty sure about alts btw if I choose to pay close attention...though not 100%...there is a rhythm to speech...I supposed I picked that up by doing so much with music. Plus, at some times they say actual things the alt said at some time in the past...so a good hint there.

I really don't think it would be necessary to even mention it. Linden Lab has access to a lot more informaton than we do, including mac addresses; they know exactly who is an alt of anyone else already (which is why, when someone gets an in-world ban, all their alts are banned too, and any more they may create in the future).   So if someone's post is an infraction worthy of a permanent forum ban, they'll already know who the alts are and ban those too.

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Is 'privy' a word?  I really should go to bed...lol.

It is. To be privy to something is to be aware of it (usually it refers to a secret or restricted information of some kind). But the one in the smelly little shed at the bottom of the garden is a privvy, not a privy.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Maitimo said:
12 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The advice I have now received is that yes, nude images taken in SL (as opposed to RL nude photos, which would be OT for SL) are now allowed in the Adult Forums.   

Expand  

The one single piece of good news in all of this.

Looking forward to this! Because why not.

I think it should be a "Show your risky style" in the General Adult part of the forums.

I think the style threads in My Avatar is close to the explicit some times. Like nipple covers the size of dollars and string panties. Or latex with outlined nipples.

So I already think about self censor, not posting lingerie there anymore because the nudity rule, adult rule, suggestive rule is all a mess to understand for me. If a picture look suggestive and very sexy and it stays up, I am still discouraged from posting the same. Will moderators see it different?

Why don't I start a risky thread? I am only using an old laptop that it is not funny to take pictures with now. I can't get the images as I want with shine, projected light and detail.

But later, when I feel for it and has something that can take better pictures, maybe I take some nudes.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think it should be a "Show your risky style" in the General Adult part of the forums.

I think the style threads in My Avatar is close to the explicit some times. Like nipple covers the size of dollars and string panties. Or latex with outlined nipples.

So I already think about self censor, not posting lingerie there anymore because the nudity rule, adult rule, suggestive rule is all a mess to understand for me. If a picture look suggestive and very sexy and it stays up, I am still discouraged from posting the same. Will moderators see it different?

Why don't I start a risky thread? I am only using an old laptop that it is not funny to take pictures with now. I can't get the images as I want with shine, projected light and detail.

But later, when I feel for it and has something that can take better pictures, maybe I take some nudes.

I vote, "Risqué Business"!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why isn't ignoring them (simple ignore, not by some block/ignore mechanism) an option? You know, scroll on past.

It's what I do. A LOT lately! It has become quite rewarding with practice.

I didn't change my block/don't see/mute whatever-it-is-called settings here when I returned, because I had forgotten about them. Thank goodness. :) Some things and some posters will never change and so, why scroll when you can not even see it? Honestly, though, I wish this software just showed nothing at all, instead of "you've chosen to ignore content from xxx" which of course is like "neener neener they are at it again, you should look..."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

But the one in the smelly little shed at the bottom of the garden is a privvy, not a privy.

First time I've ever seen that spelling. IMO, both meanings are spelled "privy", and it's one of those things you have to get from context.

"The members of the Privy Council were obliged to use the privy, because only the plumbers were privy to the information needed to repair the broken toilet."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

What I don't understand is why the threads are now being closed, instead of simply having the off-topic or bait-y posts removed. You make the suggestion to "start another thread but stay on topic this time" but even that is problematic because starting a thread that discusses/references a locked or moderated thread is also against the rules. 

If the thread could be cleaned up (as has been done often) instead of closing it, then the original on-topic debate can continue.

Yes, exactly. This is not a new happening though, or rather, not only just happening now. In the past sometimes the offensive things get pulled and the thread goes on, and then at other times the  whole thread gets pulled. Right before I left, about 2 years ago (lol, I keep mentioning I left, like waving my hand "oh! oh! I left! didja notice!?" :) ) several GOOD threads were pulled due to "shenanigans." The original peeve thread, one Beth started that was basically "a safe place for hugs" and several others. All were destroyed by one or two people who notoriously bait, and then the rest of us who rise to that bait.

The baiting trolls (some of them) stayed, and I notice a lot of people other than myself, left. There's lessons there, should anyone care to take them. Before a few people point, I will preemptively say: I don't have a history of baiting. It would never occur to me. I have a history of getting sucked in where I shouldn't. I tend to REact, not instigate.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

Um. Years of experience with this talking: When you forget what thread you're in and who you are responding to, it might be an indication it is time to get up and vacuum or something. :)

Very true.

It wasn't the wrong thread though. A couple new posts were added above mine which were bringing the thread back on track, and that confused me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But sometimes simply letting a statement or a bit of misinformation stand unchallenged in any way is ethically wrong. As the father of modern conservatism, Edmund Burke, once said (purportedly), "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men [sic] do nothing." Silence can be complicity.

In the case of the new forum rules, reporting it is challenging it. If you absolutely need to reply, quote the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

In the case of the new forum rules, reporting it is challenging it. If you absolutely need to reply, quote the rules.

Well, maybe this is semantics, but that to my mind is not "challenging" it. It's using a tool to which I might have access to silence it.

I don't believe that change happens when you silence something.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I used "Tastefully Naked".  I was worried "business" might include, ya know, people getting busy.

Ya,if it gets too busy in there, they may change the rule again..

I'm hoping something like advertisements, don't go overboard in there to where it becomes too much work for mods..

We have an inch, hope people don't try taking a mile, pretty much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm hoping something like advertisements, don't go overboard in there to where it becomes too much work for mods..

I honestly don't see a problem with the photos already posted there.  AFAIK, adult photos are even allowed in the Events postings and since no one can see the Adult section unless they are logged in (and people keep it tasteful), it'll be fun.

There have always been clubs advertising in the Adult section and some even included adult photos which were removed by the mods.  I don't think we'll have a deluge of clubs bothering to post since it's a very small audience that even reads the forums.  Time will tell.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, maybe this is semantics, but that to my mind is not "challenging" it. It's using a tool to which I might have access to silence it.

I don't believe that change happens when you silence something.

I was agreeing with your solution at first. "That's debatable" seemed  a non-confrontational comment so as not to run amiss of forum rules yet avoid being complicit in the silence which allows abuse to proliferate.
But then I realized...human rights are not debatable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't see that happening. They gave us the whole ruler when they changed the rules. To remove it because it is used too much seems counterproductive.  Surely you expected people to post nudes.

21 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't see that happening. They gave us the whole ruler when they changed the rules. To remove it because it is used too much seems counterproductive.  Surely you expected people to post nudes.

I'm not talking about nudes. I'm talking about the level that some may take adult content to, now that we have a bit more freedom there to express ourselves..

I mean some don't even bother to read the rules..Look at profiles for instance..Those are supposed to be G , but look at how many have RL images or graphic acts with their avatars in those..

I think it's a great thing we can post nudity now and just hope people don't abuse it with thinking things like a close up shots in an orgy is going to fly too well.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I really don't think it would be necessary to even mention it. Linden Lab has access to a lot more informaton than we do, including mac addresses; they know exactly who is an alt of anyone else already (which is why, when someone gets an in-world ban, all their alts are banned too, and any more they may create in the future).   So if someone's post is an infraction worthy of a permanent forum ban, they'll already know who the alts are and ban those too. All forum software has this capability.

The mboard software does record ISP #s and if you have admin or maybe mod roles, those appear on each post.  On the ham radio board I can see those.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Brain cell #324 not responding.
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not talking about nudes. I'm talking about the level that some may take adult content to, now that we have a bit more freedom there to express ourselves..

I mean some don't even bother to read the rules..Look at profiles for instance..Those are supposed to be G , but look at how many have RL images or graphic acts with their avatars in those..

I think it's a great thing we can post nudity now and just hope people don't abuse it with thinking things like a close up shots in an orgy is going to fly too well.

I dunno. I thought your original post on this was quite clear, but this is a good re-explanation. Does see like there are some contrarian folks out there in the forum who just like being contrary on every post for the sake of being contrary, but you may see things to the contrary.

giphy (1).gif

for the humor impaired: I'm not saying *Ceka* is a contrarian.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.