Does L$ camping still exist?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I loved those camping chairs that gave out 1-3 §L.

It was a wall of 1 L hairs at Gurl6, I sat in a chair to earn a linden or two, and went off and spent it.

It started my shopping addiction. After I bought §L with my credit card, it was no way back. But I managed to stay several months in SL only on money from camping chairs.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2022 at 9:32 AM, Phil Deakins said:

There was a time after the rules changed, when I had 8 camping chairs in my store. They were in the middle of the stuff for sale, but they were perfectly legal because I'd cut a small parcel for them that was not in search, so people using them didn't count for the store's traffic. It was just a way of giving a little something back.

@Exocet Kungler

Now that's a good idea!

I may do something like that at my place

I really do miss camping, was a god-send back in the day.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

Now that's a good idea!

You may want to use something to make sure they are users rather than bots..

What that would be, I have no idea, But I would expect bots would sniff the chairs out..

• Like 1

When I started (2007) there were places that offered "free" apartments.  They were minimally furnished and any one could use on a first come basis when you'd log in. It was quite a surprise to me when I started getting "paid" for being there. I knew nothing about camping or traffic at that time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

Now that's a good idea!

One of my favourite stores in Second Life has lots of Lucky Chairs with outfits for prizes. They bring in a little traffic.

But for sure when I was a newbie, being paid the odd Linden dollar just for having a browse around came in useful, and there were Money Trees too. Of course the latter were exploited, which was a shame. 

• Like 2

Camping is how i started SL camping all day to upload textures to make dresses, until i built a mall and had my own camps and a club and began to buy lindens to pay my campers and the DJ.  I wonder if i would of ever made it to the stage of buying L if i could not of camped and started my SL store for free.

• Like 4

When I tried to find some "free money" places for a newbie blog post the only thing I found was some trivia AND of those places that advertised none were active.  That was a few months back but doubt it has changed much.  I made all my "creative" money by camping way back then but that was when bots were brand new and there were still a lot of people camping.  

• Like 3

DaBoom has:

1) Random Money Giver
-Join the group :
-sit by the tree or walk around the museum
-1 Resident will be randomly paid every few minutes

2) Lucky Money Board
-Join the group
-When the Letter matches your name, first Resident to click on the board gets the reward!

3) Linden Apple Tree
-The apple tree will randomly drop apples, pick it up and earn $1 each

(Note the apple tree does say Balance 0$L Call Manager! so maybe that isn't working. There was no one there today camping. - But I have seen people camping there in last year or so, so not completely dead)

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Contrary to the vehement claims in this thread, the Lindens appear to have cracked down on camping as a way to enhance traffic. And duh, they can do this not by literally banning a script (the Lindens seldom have met a script they didn't like).

Instead, they can just nerf the algorithms (secret) in their wacky search system and make your camping efforts useless. But I have the impression they selectively crack down on bot farms in the sky above stores as well.

And that's why we saw things in the last year like a club known to be filled mainly only with dance pads where you could earn a whopping $1L per HOUR -- ridiculous -- totally shutting down that sort of system, and moving to an "XP" system where I guess you get goods are rewards, not cash. And it is now EMPTY. Either they got a reprimand from LL OR they found their club, despite numerous efforts to buy e-labour and picks, ceased to work to show up in search.

I get around a fair amount and I don't see camping or even money trees anymore. The reason for the demise of money trees is that bots harvested them, and while they kept injecting ways to defeat bots, the bots kept winning. So who wants money trees intended for newbies to go to somebody wrangling bots?

There are various silly fishing and crystal games where you spend hours trying to bring traffic to venues and earning peanuts -- just buy the Lindens for God's sake, and be done with it.

The only way to make Lindens now for ordinary people is either various low level clerk or bouncer type jobs or in prostitution. A lot of people used to be in the gatcha resale business which was a great entry to the economy for the unskilled -- there's less than that now since the really super-charged sessions with total mysteries got outlawed, and in their place came these machines that show what's coming -- so no one wants to play them as the rare isn't in the chute.

The tiny percent of people who can make money with either skilled labour (coding, dress design) or who have huge amounts to invest in their land business (time and money) -- they don't make the economy for the rest of us.

It's a real problem because it directly affects the life of the world and concurrency. Many, many people come on as newbies and ask how they can earn money. They are used to skilling and leveling up and making at least game currency. The Linden games are also very much nerfed now against all the people trying to exploit them.

It really is a puzzle, the inertia to which virtuality tends and how to fix it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Camping is how i started SL camping all day to upload textures to make dresses, until i built a mall and had my own camps and a club and began to buy lindens to pay my campers and the DJ.  I wonder if i would of ever made it to the stage of buying L if i could not of camped and started my SL store for free.

The same for me, though I opened a club with the lindens I earned, used to leave myself parked in a good camping spot all night. Between camping and sploders it worked out a nice little earner.                                                                                                   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Contrary to the vehement claims in this thread, the Lindens appear to have cracked down on camping as a way to enhance traffic. And duh, they can do this not by literally banning a script (the Lindens seldom have met a script they didn't like).

Instead, they can just nerf the algorithms (secret) in their wacky search system and make your camping efforts useless. But I have the impression they selectively crack down on bot farms in the sky above stores as well.

And that's why we saw things in the last year like a club known to be filled mainly only with dance pads where you could earn a whopping $1L per HOUR -- ridiculous -- totally shutting down that sort of system, and moving to an "XP" system where I guess you get goods are rewards, not cash. And it is now EMPTY. Either they got a reprimand from LL OR they found their club, despite numerous efforts to buy e-labour and picks, ceased to work to show up in search.

I get around a fair amount and I don't see camping or even money trees anymore. The reason for the demise of money trees is that bots harvested them, and while they kept injecting ways to defeat bots, the bots kept winning. So who wants money trees intended for newbies to go to somebody wrangling bots?

There are various silly fishing and crystal games where you spend hours trying to bring traffic to venues and earning peanuts -- just buy the Lindens for God's sake, and be done with it.

The only way to make Lindens now for ordinary people is either various low level clerk or bouncer type jobs or in prostitution. A lot of people used to be in the gatcha resale business which was a great entry to the economy for the unskilled -- there's less than that now since the really super-charged sessions with total mysteries got outlawed, and in their place came these machines that show what's coming -- so no one wants to play them as the rare isn't in the chute.

The tiny percent of people who can make money with either skilled labour (coding, dress design) or who have huge amounts to invest in their land business (time and money) -- they don't make the economy for the rest of us.

It's a real problem because it directly affects the life of the world and concurrency. Many, many people come on as newbies and ask how they can earn money. They are used to skilling and leveling up and making at least game currency. The Linden games are also very much nerfed now against all the people trying to exploit them.

It really is a puzzle, the inertia to which virtuality tends and how to fix it.

When I was doing some blog articles on high traffic sims I had to laugh at a sim at the start of the day, they gave something like 10L to vote and an army of bots coming and grabbing the lindens until the max payout level was reached, tons of the pesky little things. Felt the need to spray fly killer on them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alts are a problem when placing multiple camping spots. I removed the 8 non-traffic camping chairs I had in the store (mentioned previously in this thread) because of it. My intention was to give a little bit back but I found people using alts on them. I removed the chairs after I found one person occupying 7 of the 8 with his alts. If I did it again, I'd use just one spot and script it to not allow the same avatar back until a certain amount of time had elapsed. Even then, it wouldn't prevent a person using alts to take over each time.

Another possibility is to limit the use to avatars that have existed for less than a certain number of days. Someone who was intent on getting the minuscule amount of money would surely get fed up of creating new accounts for the purpose.

It would be really good if camping in it's various forms became common again. It helped a lot of people when they were new.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

Camping was never banned. Only doing things to artificially inflate traffic was banned. So "camping to get price discounts" is perfectly fine as long as the camping devices are not on land that's set to show in search. If they are, then it's a means of artificially inflating traffic and, as such, is banned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Alts are a problem when placing multiple camping spots. I removed the 8 non-traffic camping chairs I had in the store (mentioned previously in this thread) because of it. My intention was to give a little bit back but I found people using alts on them. I removed the chairs after I found one person occupying 7 of the 8 with his alts. If I did it again, I'd use just one spot and script it to not allow the same avatar back until a certain amount of time had elapsed. Even then, it wouldn't prevent a person using alts to take over each time.

Another possibility is to limit the use to avatars that have existed for less than a certain number of days. Someone who was intent on getting the minuscule amount of money would surely get fed up of creating new accounts for the purpose.

It would be really good if camping in it's various forms became common again. It helped a lot of people when they were new.

Some good ideas there, will keep them in mind.

Not sure how long I would have lasted in SL in the early days without camping and sploders.

6 hours ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

Some good ideas there, will keep them in mind.

Not sure how long I would have lasted in SL in the early days without camping and sploders.

And not just camping and sploders. There were the 'best dressed' and similar contests at clubs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.