New to mesh bodies - recommendations July 2022

Space Zehetbauer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Please stop recommending the Ruth body. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You aren't the OP, nor is she some newbie who can't figure out what will or won't work for her. I wouldn't recommend it, but he did qualify his opinion, so it's not big deal. 

• Like 5

Space if you do want help in world feel free to say hi. As an artist who spent a lot of time in life drawing classes, I've always been a Maitreya fan despite the wonky shoulders. Happy to help if you need it. Skins are aa preference, but I tend to stick to TheSkinnery, but there are LOTS of good ones.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

Is this going to cost me a fortune? lol

I just wanted to chime in on this point - no, it really doesn't have to! Only spend a lot if you want to spend a lot.

Here's an example of an avatar I've been suuuuper cheap with. It's my alt, and I refuse to purchase a second expensive body or head for her for that matter, so I've managed to create everything you see here with a combination of freebies, group gifts, and deep, deep discounts. I'll explain in detail...

First shot - half-nekkie (just to show you the body itself):

image.thumb.png.50e7a4845a588e158b9a3d030769c689.png

How I did this -

Head: Lelutka Lilly - it was free at one point - this is important. Lelutka DOES give away free heads - usually at Christmas. Keep your eyes peeled for that. For more options, join the Akeruka group for 150L and wait for them to give away heads. They just ended a free head giveaway on the 30th. They have a new line that's compatible with Evo X skins. And for an immediate "I'm waiting for more freebies" option, grab the free Genus head at their mainstore - just make sure to join the free group first.

Body: Lucybody - free, with a 199L BOM relay you're going to need in order to activate BOM on the body. Once that's done, you can rock any skins - Maitreya skins fits best, from what I've seen. It also wears tattoos and other BOM accessories very nicely. And yes, it fits most Maitreya clothing.

Skin: That's a super cheap Lelutka Evo (not Evo X) Pumec gacha skin I bought for under 100L when stores were clearing out their gacha stuffs in preparation for the ban. But skins are VERY easy to find at discount - Saturday Sale, Happy Weekend, Fifty Linden Fridays, and So Kawaii Sundays have a bunch in the 50-75L range. In fact, that very same skin I'm wearing here is on sale on the Marketplace right now for 50L. Bonus - it's an all-in-one skin (head and body combined, so no separate purchase)!!!! Peek around the MP for Pumec gachas - sellers are still selling off their stock. Just make sure it includes a BOM option.

Hair: Wasabi - FLF this weekend - 50L. Bangs: FREE at Sintiklia.

Earrings: E.Marie for Lelutka heads - either a Happy Weekend or Saturday Sale item (so 60L or 75L at the most)

Outfit: Scandalize (freebie). Maitreya size - no alpha magic needed.

Shoes: N-Core - got em on discount, probably around 75L. Normally, you'd wear Slink shoes with Lucybody (or Maitreya if you purchase the foot add-on), but with these, I think I stuffed her into the Belleza fit. Sometimes ya gotta play around with sizes depending on the shoe.

Nails: Ascendant (wear the Maitreya fit). Weekend sale item, so 60L-75L. They also have a section of discount 75L nails that fit Lucybody perfectly. 

Rings: RAWR! (Maitreya fit). Weekend sale item - 60-75L.

Now, with clothing:

image.thumb.png.98d87c3f4bb1c4b609fd9c5a551e8a60.png

Outfit: Addams - Pretty sure I bought that with free credit, which they give away frequently (there's some right now at the SL19B Shop & Hop). That outfit required no alpha magic.

Shoes: KC Couture - Slink size. Group gift (free group join!)

Tips:

Join these groups and stay in them - group gifts + store credit/gift cards on a pretty frequent basis

• Akeruka - 150L (worth it, trust)
  • Blueberry - free
  • Addams - free
  • Vision - free
  • Tachinni - free 
  • Bumblebee - free
  • Scandalize - free - Lucky boards
  • .:Scandals SL frees & News:. - Scandalize's massive outlet group with a few hundred free gifts

Optional groups to join:

• Sintiklia - free - hair and makeup gifts
  • KC Couture - free - shoe gifts
  • Wasabi - free - hair gifts
  • Ascendant - 100L to join, some group gift nails. Might be better to just wait for weekend sales and browse the discount section, which is mostly 75L.
  • Nuve - 250L group join - I think it's been free on occasion. Skin and makeup gifts for Catwa, Lelutka Evo/X, and Genus. Body skins included!

Hit up these events RITE NAOW:

SL19B - freebies galore, including quite a lot of free credit/gift cards (Addams, Blueberry, Bumblebee, Vision, Nuve, Vagrant, etc.).

Fifty Linden Fridays, Saturday Sale, So Kawaii Sundays, Happy Weekend, Wanderlust = cheap all the things (hair, makeup, clothes, shoes, tattoos, accessories, jewelry, etc.). Check SeraphimSL for them every weekend.

Hope all this helps!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Space if you do want help in world feel free to say hi. As an artist who spent a lot of time in life drawing classes, I've always been a Maitreya fan despite the wonky shoulders. Happy to help if you need it. Skins are aa preference, but I tend to stick to TheSkinnery, but there are LOTS of good ones.

Thanks Katherine, what a lovely offer.

Wonky shoulders, you say. Now I feel everyone will be focusing on my shoulders lol

I shall pay special attention to those 🙂

Thanks,

Space.

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I just wanted to chime in on this point - no, it really doesn't have to! Only spend a lot if you want to spend a lot.

Here's an example of an avatar I've been suuuuper cheap with. It's my alt, and I refuse to purchase a second expensive body or head for her for that matter, so I've managed to create everything you see here with a combination of freebies, group gifts, and deep, deep discounts. I'll explain in detail...

First shot - half-nekkie (just to show you the body itself):

image.thumb.png.50e7a4845a588e158b9a3d030769c689.png

How I did this -

Head: Lelutka Lilly - it was free at one point - this is important. Lelutka DOES give away free heads - usually at Christmas. Keep your eyes peeled for that. For more options, join the Akeruka group for 150L and wait for them to give away heads. They just ended a free head giveaway on the 30th. They have a new line that's compatible with Evo X skins. And for an immediate "I'm waiting for more freebies" option, grab the free Genus head at their mainstore - just make sure to join the free group first.

Body: Lucybody - free, with a 199L BOM relay you're going to need in order to activate BOM on the body. Once that's done, you can rock any skins - Maitreya skins fits best, from what I've seen. It also wears tattoos and other BOM accessories very nicely. And yes, it fits most Maitreya clothing.

Skin: That's a super cheap Lelutka Evo (not Evo X) Pumec gacha skin I bought for under 100L when stores were clearing out their gacha stuffs in preparation for the ban. But skins are VERY easy to find at discount - Saturday Sale, Happy Weekend, Fifty Linden Fridays, and So Kawaii Sundays have a bunch in the 50-75L range. In fact, that very same skin I'm wearing here is on sale on the Marketplace right now for 50L. Bonus - it's an all-in-one skin (head and body combined, so no separate purchase)!!!! Peek around the MP for Pumec gachas - sellers are still selling off their stock. Just make sure it includes a BOM option.

Hair: Wasabi - FLF this weekend - 50L. Bangs: FREE at Sintiklia.

Earrings: E.Marie for Lelutka heads - either a Happy Weekend or Saturday Sale item (so 60L or 75L at the most)

Outfit: Scandalize (freebie). Maitreya size - no alpha magic needed.

Shoes: N-Core - got em on discount, probably around 75L. Normally, you'd wear Slink shoes with Lucybody (or Maitreya if you purchase the foot add-on), but with these, I think I stuffed her into the Belleza fit. Sometimes ya gotta play around with sizes depending on the shoe.

Nails: Ascendant (wear the Maitreya fit). Weekend sale item, so 60L-75L. They also have a section of discount 75L nails that fit Lucybody perfectly. 

Rings: RAWR! (Maitreya fit). Weekend sale item - 60-75L.

Now, with clothing:

image.thumb.png.98d87c3f4bb1c4b609fd9c5a551e8a60.png

Outfit: Addams - Pretty sure I bought that with free credit, which they give away frequently (there's some right now at the SL19B Shop & Hop). That outfit required no alpha magic.

Shoes: KC Couture - Slink size. Group gift (free group join!)

Tips:

Join these groups and stay in them - group gifts + store credit/gift cards on a pretty frequent basis

• Blueberry - free
  • Addams - free
  • Vision - free
  • Tachinni - free 
  • Bumblebee - free
  • .:Scandals SL frees & News:. - Scandalize's massive outlet group with a few hundred free gifts

Optional groups to join:

• Sintiklia - free - hair and makeup gifts
  • KC Couture - free - shoe gifts
  • Wasabi - free - hair gifts
  • Ascendant - 100L to join, some group gift nails. Might be better to just wait for weekend sales and browse the discount section, which is mostly 75L.
  • Nuve - 250L group join - I think it's been free on occasion. Skin and makeup gifts for Catwa, Lelutka Evo/X, and Genus. Body skins included!

Hit up these events RITE NAOW:

SL19B - freebies galore, including quite a lot of free credit/gift cards (Addams, Blueberry, Bumblebee, Vision, Nuve, Vagrant, etc.).

Fifty Linden Fridays, Saturday Sale, So Kawaii Sundays, Happy Weekend, Wanderlust = cheap all the things (hair, makeup, clothes, shoes, tattoos, accessories, jewelry, etc.). Check SeraphimSL for them every weekend.

Hope all this helps!

Wow! Ayashe, an amazing amount of information, not just for me but also for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the forum.

Thank you so much and you have done a great job with your alt.

I have lots of signing up to do and cruising around shops, for sure.

It is all a great help.

I do have a few alts sitting around on their bums doing nothing. I might be able to try out some of these ideas on them.

Thanks

Space

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

Wow! Ayashe, an amazing amount of information, not just for me but also for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the forum.

Thank you so much and you have done a great job with your alt.

I have lots of signing up to do and cruising around shops, for sure.

It is all a great help.

I do have a few alts sitting around on their bums doing nothing. I might be able to try out some of these ideas on them.

Thanks

Space

Wooo, it IS a lot of info, isn't it? LOL. It takes TIME to be cheap.😂I had to scour the entire grid for weeks to find a good way to keep her dressed on a budget.

The basics aren't too bad, though. If you can find a good, cheap skin you like that works with the head you prefer, the rest will be easy. You may have to wait a few days to get the Lucybody - just keep that in mind. The Midnight Mania board might take a couple days to fill up. It used to be fast, but I guess everyone's already gotten one by now! Tip - grab all your alts and smack the board with them so they all get a copy at the same time and you don't need to wait for another round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Please stop recommending the Ruth body. 

It's free (almost) and it's a good way to get to learn how to use a BoM mesh body, even if it's not what you're really after. As I said above, it taught me about mesh bodies and so when the NUX bodies arrive I'll be ready to give them a go again!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

It's free (almost) and it's a good way to get to learn how to use a BoM mesh body, even if it's not what you're really after. As I said above, it taught me about mesh bodies and so when the NUX bodies arrive I'll be ready to give them a go again!

Nothing wrong with the Ruth! I use v2 on occasion, you may have seen one of my recent photos... oh wait, that was a modded PermaRuth but anyway... I like v2 and have ported a few v2 shapes I created to Maitreya for slimmer looks.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

• Blueberry - free
  • Addams - free
  • Vision - free
  • Tachinni - free 
  • Bumblebee - free

Last time I checked, Blueberry, Vision and Tachinni weren't free, but the fees are pretty nominal (within the L$10-L$20 range) and worth it for the group gifts alone. LOGO also do head giveaways around Black Friday.

(If we cancel Ruth then people with literally no lindens to spend will be running around in the TMP/Classic Meshbody instead, and I tend to think Ruth is the lesser evil. Just be thankful nobody ever recommends Roth.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is a place I use also if I'm just looking around for good freebies and gifts and sales and just lots of things.. You can even go back months to see what made it to gift walls and things.

You sometimes can find good things on Teleport Hub . com ( left the link unlinked because I'm not sure if it would be considered advertising or not and just being safe about it)..  They have a group in world also and I believe a location to see the new things posted up as well.

I really like it because, I love places that I can find many stores I've never heard of before to build up my land marks, for those diamonds in the rough.

At the top of their page you can scroll the menus to see how much there is to look for..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Last time I checked, Blueberry, Vision and Tachinni weren't free, but the fees are pretty nominal (within the L$10-L$20 range) and worth it for the group gifts alone. LOGO also do head giveaways around Black Friday.

Let's see. Lemme peek!

*elevator music* doo dooo dee dee daa daa la la la...

Oh they changed it! Let's see...

• Blueberry Store and Blueberry Store VIP are 20L
  • Tachinni is 15L
  • Vision is 18L

Thanks for the correction! They changed that a while ago then. When I joined those, I'm pretty sure there was no fee.

Edit: The Addams groups are 19L and 25L, also. I don't even remember which one is the current one. I'm in both.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Let's see. Lemme peek!

*elevator music* doo dooo dee dee daa daa la la la...

Oh they changed it! Let's see...

• Blueberry Store and Blueberry Store VIP are 20L
  • Tachinni is 15L
  • Vision is 18L

Thanks for the correction! They changed that a while ago then. When I joined those, I'm pretty sure there was no fee.

Edit: The Addams groups are 19L and 25L, also. I don't even remember which one is the current one. I'm in both.

Scandalize totally dropped their group join price.. I remember it used to be like 1500 to join their group just because of their gift wall..

Now it's only 20L to join. I might have to join them again!! \o/

hehehe

I think stores are starting to get the hint on those super high group join fees

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 12:05 AM, Space Zehetbauer said:

How hard is it to get a head that looks like mine, or that I can model into my head or similar?

THAT is the hard part!

I suggest that you post front and profile views here and ask for suggestions about which might be the best mesh head candidates to try. After you settle on one, you will need to wear a copy of the shape that comes with it and, unless you are very lucky, spend considerable time adjusting shape sliders.

I found it helpful to have a alt wearing the same (from the neck down) body shape with my system head shape on an identical posing stand as the one I was on. I placed the two posing stands at the exact same coordinates. Then I tried to make my new mesh head shape approximate the shape of my alt's face as closely as possible.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Space Zehetbauer said:

How hard is it to get a head that looks like mine, or that I can model into my head or similar?

I highly endorse Jennifer's statement about posting front and profile shots of your current system head -- without any makeup.  Most of the folks on the forums have a lot of experience with many of the current mesh heads -- free, cheap, and regular -- and they should be able to guide you to the best head or two for trying.  This is exactly what I plan to do if/when I finally take the plunge to a mesh head.

When you get ready to mod the shape for whatever head you choose, take those same front and profile pictures and put them on a cube inworld and position it next to yourself.  That will help you in fiddling with the shape sliders.   

If you still have trouble getting the shape you want -- some sliders actually affect multiple points -- post your progress here and request comments about what to tweak to get the look you want.

• Like 2

@Space Zehetbauer And some alternative information...

The majority of SL residents prefer mesh bodies. That is obvious by simple personal observation. There are snobs. There are those that cannot tell the difference between a Classic or system body, i.e., Ruth/Roth and a mesh body. There those of us that can look at a mesh body and tell what brand of body it is. And there are people that fit into all the various variations in between all the extremes. While some will hit on you no matter what you look like others are into appearance will snub you. But it isn't as simple as are you or are you not wearing mesh. IT is how your appearance strikes the observer. There are those that want to do a dark-skinned girl (for less than noble reasons) and those that won't.

My point is there no well defined rule in SL for what people will like or do. You can play the odds.

For me it is the smoothness of the mesh bodies that sold me. In various poses and animations the Classic or system body, i.e., Ruth/Roth shows distortions; sharp bends, overlaps, texture distortion, etc. While these problems are significantly less mesh bodies distort too. Maitreya makes a body that is arguably the most popular. I find the Maitreya shoulders horribly distorted. Apparently most people do not.

Then there are considerations based on what you like to do in SL. If you are the proverbial "fashionista" type, then how many people make clothes for a particular body is a significant criteria for you. If table and board games are your thing then avatar appearance is not so significant. If you are into picking up the opposite sex... opposite not being so important these days, and having  intimate bedroom moments then the genitals and skins available become a significant consideration. Cinnamon & Chai by Slink is the only body to completely move away from the Classic/System UVMap for the body and solve the texturing problems in the crotch area. However, some of the genital makers have provided solutions for those staying with the Classic/System UVMap. It is too soon to see if others follow along and move to improved UVMaps.

I spent 3+ months looking for a head that would come close to my Classic System head look. I only got close. I keep looking.

The Classic head is not as prone to distortions. But it uses morphing to animate the face. Only the built-in expressions are available by the morphing process as they are built into the viewer... or into Classic Avatar to be more precise. Mesh heads have bones that can be animated via the SL animation system. My GA.EG head has some really cute nose wiggles which are NOT possible with the Classic head. There are a number of people that still prefer the classic head. So avoid feeling you need to change. It is a choice.

I find mesh heads with a BOM skin offer the most flexibility for make up. Many mesh heads can use applier makeup and BOM/System Layer make up.

Whether you can use your current makeup with a new mesh head depends... and the only way to know is to try it with a demo of the head. The BOM aspect of a head takes all the layers used with the Classic head and puts them on the skin layer, which is what server side baking (SSB) and, before that, viewer baking used to do.

Now there are more possibilities and options to choose from. There is no best choice. Only what you like. And making the absolute worst choice is only likely to cost US$5 or $10. The value of your time trying to decide is several magnitudes greater. SL is supposed to be fun. Avoid turning it into worry and work.

• Like 2

I think making the adjustment to the head was the harder move than with the body.. The body is so much easier to form and see good results right away..

That was a short move for me..

I had the same feeling as just about anyone that doesn't want to lose the look of their system head..

I just made sure I was gonna take my time with it and not be in a rush to change.. When I had down time or just felt like messing with it.. I would put on my mesh head and my mesh shape and try and get something I wanted..

I wanted to make sure it didn't just feel good from the front, but also wanted that feel from the profile as well.  I had seen so many just in stores at that time that had the front looking good but from the side looked flat..

So I said heck with it , I'm just gonna take my time and get what I want..

There really isn't a need to rush into a head.. I mean I would say get one that you feel can become what you want.. Learn it's hud, Get familiar with what the sliders can do with that head.. Because it can be different for each head..

Take your time as if it were a project you were working on..

Don't be in a rush or let others rush you.. Do only what feels good as well as right to you..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

Jennifer, LittleMe, Nalates and Ceka thanks for your comments!

One does become attached to one's SL head over the years so trying to create a close copy is an emotional issue lol and perhaps a technical epic.

After reading all that I have visions of my SL home full of boxes and poles and things with copies of my head on them!

I think after reading everyone's wonderful comments I will most certainly not be in a rush.

And Nalates, I hadn't even thought about colouring for my giggly bits and what I might need to do down there.

So much to think about, but I shall rush slowly...

Have a great day everyone

Space

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There are those that cannot tell the difference between a Classic or system body, i.e., Ruth/Roth and a mesh body.

This is a Ruth body below - I hope there is nobody that cannot tell the difference...  You might like to not confuse newbies by pointing out that the Ruth2 body is 100% mesh, first released in 2016, and bears no resemblance to the original SL default Ruth avatar below.  I wonder if the early SL developers had ever even seen a female body?

4b42587fea52d200bd40b833eeef6dab.png

Ruth2 latest info:  https://github.com/RuthAndRoth/Ruth2/wiki/User-Guide

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This is a Ruth body below - I hope there is nobody that cannot tell the difference...  You might like to not confuse newbies by pointing out that the Ruth2 body is 100% mesh, first released in 2016, and bears no resemblance to the original SL default Ruth avatar below.  I wonder if the early SL developers had ever even seen a female body?

4b42587fea52d200bd40b833eeef6dab.png

Ruth2 latest info:  https://github.com/RuthAndRoth/Ruth2/wiki/User-Guide

I used to hate whatever it was that would  revert me to that old ruth shape..

I'd be dancing and all of a sudden *Blooooop*  Then,  Ashton Kutcher showin up yelling, You just been RUTHED Biotch!! \o/

That picture reminds me of that, My Precious guy, from lord of the rings..That's what it felt like I turned into, when Ruth would show up.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I really wish they didn't name it Ruth. It is confusing even if they put a number behind it. So many only call it "Ruth". And the Ruth 2.0 is like 1000 times better because it has toes and real nails. And better boobs, knees, butt, ankles, wrists, in short: better.

I mean, if somebody say they can't see a difference between old default Ruth and Ruth 2.0, they have to be blind. Or willfully denying it because they have something against updating Ruth (Old default/Classic Ruth).

• Like 4

any more you can put together a pretty good Avi for free.

Think Genus still has the free head

Legacy has their free body ( clothing for it is a bit trixy )

all sorts of group gift skins out there as well as hair

so you don't have to spend a ton really these days.

But.. if you like to shop, then it may be worth it to spend a little and get a fully supported head and body

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I wonder if the early SL developers had ever even seen a female body?

Based on where every body maker positions the crotch by default, I'd wager NONE of the them have ever seen a female body. Almost all of them have legs too long, torsos and arms too short, and crotch up where your belly button actually is. A basic rule is to position the bottom of your crotch exactly 1/2 way up your body height. Proportions, people!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.