I wonder if we can get Elon Musk to buy Linden Labs...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well then how is it any different from when John F. Kennedy pitched the idea to commit the nation to putting a man on the moon? He pitched to a whole country whereas Musk is only pitching it to investors though by extension it is also to the rest of the world. Is Musk any more of a snake oil salesman the JK was? Today at least we know from the success of JK's vision, the possibility exists except in the minds of the naysayer which were likely plenty of back in 1951 too. 

Maybe my memory is failing... but the US did win the space race by putting a man on the moon, while Musk hasnt put a man on mars yet. (or delivered on any of the other promises, like fully automated vehicles, a working undeground mass transit system, a humanoid robot, etc.)

• Like 3

according to an amaerica's book of lies series the russians won the space race by putting the first human in space and so america had to do something more extreme to get attention and so they put the first humans on the moon....

5 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

according to an amaerica's book of lies series the russians won the space race by putting the first human in space and so america had to do something more extreme to get attention and so they put the first humans on the moon....

Yes. And?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

He has the vision to to put his money where his mouth is and hire and pay the team to build what he wants.

He is like the Steve Jobs of the 20s, a great visionary, a great promoter, but unlike Jobs he rarely produces the results he promises everyone.  That is the unfortunate reality, I wish we were colonizing mars right now, I wish I had an autonomous car to drive me places, I wish I could travel across the country in a hyperloop, I wish there were underground highways in our cities, and I wish I had a humanoid robot to do the chores around my house.  I eventually wish I could just plug into my computer, escape the mundane reality and live out my existence in a world of my own creation.  

I'm all about innovation, I am.  I love technological progression, I love seeing what was once considered impossible, become possible, and I am very much a dreamer.  But...There are only so many times people can make fantastical claims which do not come to fruition, until people start seeing such a person as a fraud.  When I see Musk making claims, I have a hard time believing him.

I hope Elon proves me wrong, but I am highly skeptical of it.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And that is why he will succeed while the individual rocket engineers won't. He tells them to build what he wants because their paycheque's depend on it. That is why he should get the credit. He has the vision to to put his money where his mouth is and hire and pay the team to build what he wants.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Who is paying for SpaceX .. Pappa Space Daddy ? .. Or the US tax payer, to the tune of billions of $$

Who is now the biggest money horder in the world .. who's money does he have .. his own? Are you sure .. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

You mean the 1920's, right? Authoritarian industrialist / oil baron style.

It is fun being able to say the decade in such a shorthand way again, I must admit my visage of the 20s does bring back the roaring 20s though.  I can imagine a Elon Musk, selling people on the idea of personal robots, flying cars, talking to people through a video phone, and so on, but that would probably be in the 50s.  In the 20s, he probably would be the one jumping from Wall Street.

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hope it doesn't end up like "The Martian" book/movie..maybe more like "The Martian Chronicles".

Sci Fi nerd? Me? Nooooooo!!!!

I like Bradbury Mars, a lot, so no, those martians don't deserve it :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulsian said:

That is what happened though. Russia did win the space race. America just moved the goal posts because they were loosing so bad to make it look like they won.

Out of all the innovations that happened during the space race, only Russia's innovations proved helpful to mankind. They put the satellite in space (1957), first spacecraft on the moon in 1959, the first animal, man and women in space and completed the first space walk and orbit of the earth. The rockets NASA used until recently were even all Russian made. It is only recently that NASA through SpaceX has been able to use American made rockets and they are privately owned.

But of course, as Americans say, America won the space race as they put a man on the moon...🙄

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

That is what happened though. Russia did win the space race. America just moved the goal posts because they were loosing so bad to make it look like they won.

Out of all the innovations that happened during the space race, only Russia's innovations proved helpful to mankind. They put the satellite in space (1957), first spacecraft on the moon in 1959, the first animal, man and women in space and completed the first space walk and orbit of the earth. The rockets NASA used until recently were even all Russian made. It is only recently that NASA through SpaceX has been able to use American made rockets and they are privately owned.

But of course, as Americans say, America won the space race as they put a man on the moon...🙄

I'm a space nut,  when I mention this to people in some of the old talks I used to do,  I was that kind of nerd,  I would get heavy fallback and told I was lying,  according to them, Russia never did any of that first.   it's amazing people do not like looking up history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now I find it real interesting that you'all concentrate on the going to Mars bit, while I (and I think @Rolig Loon) are most interested in my items #1,#2.  I see Musk as a social engineer, not a rocket or battery-auto maker.  He is now in a position, and with a platform, to change the world with a single pronouncement.  Scary Movie.

• Like 1

I imagine that Elon Musk has heard of SL ... but I doubt if he's terribly interested in it.

The question is, why would he be interested in SL/LL?

I haven't addressed the farcical attempts of Zuckerberg et-al to make a Metaverse, but the two topics relate.

Now is the WORST possible time to try to create a Metaverse for two reasons.

Firstly - the technology isn't there yet. It's much closer than it was when SL was first launched, but it's still not ubiquitous:

You need FAST data. VERY fast data to make it work properly.

Yes ... data is available at the necessary sort of rates, but too many of us are still restricted to how much can be forced through the bottleneck of intercontinental cables. And even if you aren't constrained by that ... ISPs are all too happy to leverage their power by prioritising certain data. With hundreds of thousands of people accessing a Metaverse, eventually millions ... that kind of impediment couldn't be tolerated.

VR headsets just aren't where they need to be either in cost or in usability to be the basis of a Metaverse that dominates the net. They are getting better, but they aren't good enough yet.

Secondly - the sociopolitical landscape is the opposite of what is necessary for development and adoption of a Metaverse.

I wrote a quite lengthy explanation of what I mean by this, but given that the forum has taken to censoring my posts I have no doubt that would have been enough to get me hidden as well. Suffice to say that the current political and social landscape is not one which permits freedom of speech or expression except where approved by a small percentage of the population who have used social media to amplify their voices through the use of bots and sock puppets.

Don't believe me? Companies who believed those voices to be much larger than they actually are have experienced marked downturns in their profits ... have a look at Gillette and Disney for the evidence. :D

There are other factors, but those are the two big ones.

Musk clearly believes he can make Twitter profitable. He may well be right, only time will tell. But a Metaverse? Not yet. Not in the same climate where the people who have been abusing censorship for their own political ends are now screeching that Musk owning twitter is a threat to free speech.

Besides ... Nothing LL or SL have are of any real value in creating a new Metaverse. Don't get me wrong ... I still enjoy SL a great deal, but let's face it we saw what LL created when they tried to take the next step, and Sansar was NOT what a Metaverse needs to be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

The rockets NASA used until recently were even all Russian made.

From wikipedia:

The largest production model of the Saturn family of rockets, the Saturn V was designed under the direction of Wernher von Braun at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama; the lead contractors were Boeing, North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft Company, and IBM. A total of 15 flight-capable vehicles were built, plus three for ground testing. Thirteen were launched from Kennedy Space Center with no loss of crew or payload. A total of 24 astronauts were launched to the Moon from December 1968 through December 1972.

Given that we're talking about the space race, and not recent history ... I think you need to qualify your statement just a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Istelathis said:

He is like the Steve Jobs of the 20s, a great visionary, a great promoter, but unlike Jobs he rarely produces the results he promises everyone.  That is the unfortunate reality, I wish we were colonizing mars right now, I wish I had an autonomous car to drive me places, I wish I could travel across the country in a hyperloop, I wish there were underground highways in our cities, and I wish I had a humanoid robot to do the chores around my house.  I eventually wish I could just plug into my computer, escape the mundane reality and live out my existence in a world of my own creation.  

I'm all about innovation, I am.  I love technological progression, I love seeing what was once considered impossible, become possible, and I am very much a dreamer.  But...There are only so many times people can make fantastical claims which do not come to fruition, until people start seeing such a person as a fraud.  When I see Musk making claims, I have a hard time believing him.

I hope Elon proves me wrong, but I am highly skeptical of it.  

13 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Maybe my memory is failing... but the US did win the space race by putting a man on the moon, while Musk hasnt put a man on mars yet. (or delivered on any of the other promises, like fully automated vehicles, a working undeground mass transit system, a humanoid robot, etc.)

Both of you seem to be complaining more that Musk's accomplishments are not as far or coming as fast as you'd like. That's on your own unrealistic expectations and little to do with what Musk has already accomplished. He at least had the vision to start working on multiple projects that are producing bigger and better results then those of his critics. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Mars but at least he is planning and investing in it and working on the details. https://www.careeraddict.com/elon-musk-accomplishments

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Both of you seem to be complaining more that Musk's accomplishments are not as far or coming as fast as you'd like. That's on your own unrealistic expectations and little to do with what Musk has already accomplished. He at least had the vision to start working on multiple projects that are producing bigger and better results then those of his critics. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will Mars but at least he is planning and investing in it and working on the details. https://www.careeraddict.com/elon-musk-accomplishments

Absolutely not, first of all, I wouldnt call them "Musk´s" accomplishments, if I pay someone to do something for me, I wont go around taking credit for doing the thing.

But what I complain about, the thing that bothers me, are the blind fanboys, ready to kiss the ground Elon steps on, and that they dont understand that he is not a rocket scientists, not an engineer, he is just a money guy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Who is paying for SpaceX .. Pappa Space Daddy ? .. Or the US tax payer, to the tune of billions of $$

Who is now the biggest money horder in the world .. who's money does he have .. his own? Are you sure .. 

The US tax payer is having to pay SpaceX substantially less then it would have had Nasa awarded the contract to one of its competitors or maintained working on their own version which has already cost the taxpayer 20 Billion and expected to rise another 7 Billion compared to the 2.9 Billion they have paid to SpaceX. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.