MFA coming to the Viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've enabled MFA on my account and my money-holder account.  Though, the viewer part won't apply to me until Firestorm releases an MFA version.  No way am I going back to the SL Viewer just for a bit of extra security.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Annie Nova said:

What is meant by "token"? do they take money from your account? Does anyone know?

When you use an Authenticator App, you get a token from the app -- usually something like a 6-digit number than changes every minute or so -- and that is what you will have to enter, once you choose to activate MFA on your account.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Would be great if we could get actual industry standard text or email options...

An app running on a physical device you need to have access to is far more secure than a text message or email

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Would be great if we could get actual industry standard text or email options...

Many of my financial providers are pushing full authenticator apps as opposed to the text & email confirmations that they currently allow.

• Like 3

• Lindens
4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've enabled MFA on my account and my money-holder account.  Though, the viewer part won't apply to me until Firestorm releases an MFA version.  No way am I going back to the SL Viewer just for a bit of extra security.

I talk with Jessica Lyon on a regular basis and the Firestorm Team has already begun looking at the build and it should be coming in their next Beta!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many of my financial providers are pushing full authenticator apps as opposed to the text & email confirmations that they currently allow.

I much rather have the app.. The few things that I use  for second verification are apps.. I'm so worn out on my email getting even more cluttered and I still don't trust email or text messages..

If I ever had to change my email, it would take me a half day or more to get everything updated to that new email.. If i could get rid of my email altogether, I would..

Both are just scammer breeding grounds.

I trust something like the app because, I'm causing whats going on in that space and time.. I'm logging in and I'm the one generating the verification number..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When you use an Authenticator App, you get a token from the app -- usually something like a 6-digit number than changes every minute or so -- and that is what you will have to enter, once you choose to activate MFA on your account.

Thanks Lil!

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

man in the middle intercepts is why this is not ideal setup.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Most financial institutions are "still" using text or phone.

I'm not big on email either, but a text code on my phone is still desired over a QR code and is still an industry standard.

Times will most likely change said standards.

One day everything might be QR codes, however retro that still seems.

One day bionic impants might handle validation subconsciously via thought. 🧠💻🤖

24 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

The Internet; "Hey, we'd better improve security for our users."

Linden Lab, fifteen years later; "Hey everyone, we just got this great idea!"

And most people:  "Nah, we don't need that."

• Like 3

Hmm, ok, now that I have had a coffee and  read this web page from the knowledge base....

Scanning a Q.R code with a smartphone isn't a too big deal.

One of my smart T.V apps uses this to create an account for a pay T.V service.

So I don't think I will panic about it much actually.

Edited by shireena1
fixed a typo

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

a text code on my phone is still desired over a QR code

The QR code is just used once, to register Second Life with the Authenticator app.  After that, you simply get the latest 6-digit code that the authenticator app shows for Second Life -- that code changes every 60 seconds.

And you can usually register something with the authenticator using other methods besides a QR code.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 hours ago, Alexa Linden said:

I talk with Jessica Lyon on a regular basis and the Firestorm Team has already begun looking at the build and it should be coming in their next Beta!

I will definitely be doing that when it comes to Firestorm. I want to have more protection over my account. 

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And most people:  "Nah, we don't need that."

While I can't say how many SL users will take to 2FA, I hope most don't discount how valuable it is.

People think they don't need it, until they do.

Edited by Bitterthorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.