Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Additionally, the biggest problem with the concept of expecting government to regulate everything is that these people don't understand what they're regulating. They make laws requiring technology that doesn't exist. Imagine if they tried to pass laws regarding in world activity in SL? It'd be a nightmare.

I don't know about regulating "everything," but in the UK the courts don't find it difficult to enforce both civil and criminal laws regulating behaviour on twitter, handing out substantial civil and criminal penalties when appropriate, and both various EU countries and the UK are in process of extending and updating their laws to require social media companies more stringently to police and regulate various forms of content (including hate speech and extremist content) or face very substantial financial sanctions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the argument "free speech is essential to making informed decisions" laughable.

If you listen to someone talking a load of nonsense, then act on that nonsense, how is that in any way an "informed decision"?

Someone says "pour jam in your ear and it will clear your ear wax" and you go ahead and do it instead of listening to your doctor, your not making an "informed decision" your just a sticky moron.

People seem to get very confused these days over facts and opinions. People are way more willing to listen to half-baked opinions that chime with their own world-view than objective measurable and tested facts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I created an account years ago.  I wonder whatever happened to it?  I don't think Musk buying it will have much of an impact on me.  I never really got into it.

Same here.  I've never really felt the need to use it for anything.  I have probably used it a handful of times but only when some store in SL uses it to post information.  I actually deactivated my account several weeks ago and it had nothing to do with Elon Musk.  I deleted my SL facebook account as well.  

Edited by Rowan Amore

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I deleted my SL facebook account as well. 

I did that long ago. I also deleted my RL Facebook account over a year ago. I miss a couple of the groups I was in, but anyone who really needs to contact me can do so by email or phone. My Inner Peace reading has gone way up.

Social media has a lot of power these days, regardless of my infrequent use of it, as I basically just hop over from time to time to visit my best friend, Margaret Atwood.    😉

Because of this power it has to mold society -- that's why I want to understand it more, and figure out what laws should be made to keep it in check.  It could be the difference between the US remaining a relatively free society vs becoming an autocracy.

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Consider. In the 2020 election cycle we had a load of supposedly reputable and trustworthy people from various levels of society and government telling us Hunter Biden's laptop was Russian propaganda. Now we have the NYT and Leftist sources telling us... "No... Hunter Laptop is NOT a Russian plant. It is for real... actually is his laptop." So, was the 2019, 2020, and 2021 information posted about the Hunter laptop NOT being real the actual misinformation? Was the censorship of actual information and an attempt to swing the election by government and media?

You mean the story that was broken by one of the largest newspapers in New York and heavily pushed by the top-rated show on the biggest cable news network, which is owned by the same company as the Wall Street Journal?

The right has been railing about "mainstream media" for so long that they don't even realize that they are the mainstream media now.

Meanwhile...

Theresa Tennyson watches the thread take on water and list as she grabs a lifejacket before it's officially torpedoed.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's common knowledge that J.K. Rowling has said / written things in the past which are transphobic. Do you really want us to Google it for you? I picked this summary at random.

https://www.glamour.com/story/a-complete-breakdown-of-the-jk-rowling-transgender-comments-controversy/amp

Well OK, lets have a look at the first quote in this article that is supposedly trans-phobic and see if it is so. I'll put forward my arguments in the most logical way I possibly can.

‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?

Is this Transphobia?

To have a phobia of something is to have an irrational fear or dislike of something. To be irrational is to feel or act without reason.

JK Rowling here you could describe as having a dislike of the term 'People who menstruate' but it is not without reason - The reason is implied when she says "I’m sure there used to be a word for those people." - She is describing the erasure/invalidation of the term 'woman' - In other words she has a reason for her dislike and therefor it is rational.

Because she is able to rationalize her dislike of the term, it is not a phobia but rather a genuine justified dislike of the subject matter. Rationally, we can say that she dislikes what trans people are doing, because they are making her feel like something 'less than' and making people refer to her in a way that is not the title that she has always had.

For example, I do not like cars in city streets because they are noisy and pollute causing unnecessary stress and people to have unhealthy habits. That is not car-phobia as I have a rational reason to dislike cars.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Well OK, lets have a look at the first quote in this article that is supposedly trans-phobic and see if it is so. I'll put forward my arguments in the most logical way I possibly can.

Is this Transphobia?

To have a phobia of something is to have an irrational fear or dislike of something. To be irrational is to feel or act without reason.

JK Rowling here you could describe as having a dislike of the term 'People who menstruate' but it is not without reason - The reason is implied when she says "I’m sure there used to be a word for those people." - She is describing the erasure/invalidation of the term 'woman' - In other words she has a reason for her dislike and therefor it is rational.

Because she is able to rationalize her dislike of the term, it is not a phobia but rather a genuine justified dislike of the subject matter. Rationally, we can say that she dislikes what trans people are doing, because they are making her feel like something 'less than' and making people refer to her in a way that is not the title that she has always had.

For example, I do not like cars in city streets because they are noisy and pollute causing unnecessary stress and people to have unhealthy habits. That is not car-phobia as I have a rational reason to dislike cars.

I guess you didn't keep reading, regarding her open support of "TERF" - Trans Exclusive Radical Feminism.

7 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Is this Transphobia?

This is not what the word means and you should know it, I wont give you the benefit of the doubt because you have been chomping at the bits for a chance to try to redefine terms and dismiss any claims of "isms" as you claimed earlier.

Dont do this, or be better at it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

This is not what the word means and you should know it, I wont give you the benefit of the doubt because you have been chomping at the bits for a chance to try to redefine terms and dismiss any claims of "isms" as you claimed earlier.

Dont do this, or be better at it.

image.png.bc40701d7ed3ce1520c2ac3805354594.png

image.png.07ce43b1653858196ab8e594efa6fc6f.png

I do not see how my description of these terms is dishonest. To me they seem to match the dictionary definitions pretty well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

You mean, Elon has been caught red handed stealing IP?

Yes, so naturally, like the emotional 9 year-old he is, he doubled down by claiming that crediting artists on Twitter would destroy the medium. Suddenly makes it not so unlikely that his sole reason for buying Twitter was to shut down this guy, does it? If anyone believes that Elon Musk gives one bleep about freedom of speech, then I have a bridge to sell them.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I did that long ago. I also deleted my RL Facebook account over a year ago. I miss a couple of the groups I was in, but anyone who really needs to contact me can do so by email or phone. My Inner Peace reading has gone way up.

I've only kept my RL facebook account because my sisters insist on using it for announcing when family events are happening.  Our family's reunion also uses it.  I still need to be reminded by the sisters to check it.  Why they can't just text me, I have no idea.  Otherwise, I never log in to it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Yes, so naturally, like the emotional 9 year-old he is, he doubled down by claiming that crediting artists on Twitter would destroy the medium. Suddenly makes it not so unlikely that his sole reason for buying Twitter was to shut down this guy, does it?

I wouldn't say it is his sole reason but likely one of the main reasons.

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I wouldn't say it is his sole reason but likely one of the main reasons.

Agreed. Pretty sure he's also looking forward to casually accusing people of being extremely inappropriate with kids consequence-free too.

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse

I've always been at a bit of a loss to understand how centralizing media power -- and Twitter has enormous reach and influence, whatever the relative size of its user base -- in the hands of a single person, whatever that person's political associations, represents a safeguard for "free speech."

Nor why people who distrust democratically elected governments seem so often so very trusting of extremely wealthy and powerful individuals who will always have their own agendas, and many fewer constraints on their ability to push them.

Would you trust ME to be solely of charge of Twitter?

I wouldn't.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
What on earth is "Twotter "?
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I love reading the meltdowns on Twitter. Reading the same type of nonsense here is just a bonus. thanks guys ;) 

Elon doesn't like censorship. Some people hate him for that. If you're one of them, it tells me everything i need to know about you. It's very telling.

Twitter is known, (just like the book of faces) to suppress actual facts. Elon is set to change that. What could be wrong with that i wonder.

In addition, i'd like to ask any of you who "hate Elon" or don't like the fact that he's about to shake up Twitter, do give me your reason. And by that i mean, in your own words. give me your argumentation of why you feel this is such a bad thing.

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.