Show Land Tier INCLUDING tax

Crim Mip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My land tier this month will include sales tax for the first time. Is there any reason the actual total including that can't be shown under land cost? Presumably LL has the data to calculate it. I don't care that you normally don't know until the time of sale, there's no reason an amount that's static like that can't be shown including said tax.

2 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

My land tier this month will include sales tax for the first time. Is there any reason the actual total including that can't be shown under land cost? Presumably LL has the data to calculate it. I don't care that you normally don't know until the time of sale, there's no reason an amount that's static like that can't be shown including said tax.

Assuming that I understand what you're asking (and maybe I don't) . . .

That would seem likely involve an enormous amount of complication, as there must be many dozens, if not hundreds, of different rates of sales tax that might be applicable, not just for the US, but for other international residents as well. Presumably they have a database for that somewhere, or they couldn't charge it -- but connecting that to individual land tier calculations would probably not be trivial, especially as they'd need to know where you resided, information probably not associated directly with your account dashboard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Assuming that I understand what you're asking (and maybe I don't) . . .

That would seem likely involve an enormous amount of complication, as there must be many dozens, if not hundreds, of different rates of sales tax that might be applicable, not just for the US, but for other international residents as well. Presumably they have a database for that somewhere, or they couldn't charge it -- but connecting that to individual land tier calculations would probably not be trivial, especially as they'd need to know where you resided, information probably not associated directly with your account dashboard.

They have to calculate it when you pay it so not really any worse.

At the very least, they should be able to add it to the Summary page that is currently showing what your upcoming Tier bill will be, as I'd image that that piece of info comes from the Billing sub-system anyway.  Though I think initially we just want them to ensure they are getting all applicable people taxed properly.  

I'd definitely suggest putting in a JIRA request for such.  It might not really matter to most of us peons that only have a tiny bit of land, but it could be more important info for those that are paying a hefty tier fee already.

Perhaps it's not shown because whenever a tax amount changed for a jurisdiction, they'd need to go though all the accounts to update dashboard amounts (for example, if a local entity had an election where something passed to raise the local sales tax amount).  When it's just looked up and calculated at the time of payment, it should always be the most current amount for that location. 

I also noticed that 2 other subscription type sites which recently started displaying info regarding sales tax for U.S. accounts also do not show the tax amount, but show the product amount with "plus sales tax" for U.S. accounts.  

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about the part that Moira mentions.  In order to show it on the Dashboard, every time you accessed that page, they would have to redo the calculations, checking the latest info.  Whereas, I imagine that right now the Dashboard data for that section is only updated when the tier used changes or to change the upcoming billing date.  Knowing how backend systems are often not very well integrated, it could be a bit more of a chore than I initially imagined.

I'd probably still put in the JIRA request, but not sure how likely it is that they do it.

3 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

Sales Tax is the new Gacha, you don’t know what it is until you pay your bill. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

LL/Tilea knows what they charged you for sales tax at the time of the sale. And they know this in US Dollars. There is no reason why the transaction to say, Buy Lindens, should not show what you paid in sales tax, somewhere in your online account records.

Every other internet business shows the sales tax just like they show shipping charges, when they list your order.  Why is LL not showing this?  It's not difficult in the least.

• Like 2

Most places online that I've ever bought anything will usually have me put in my state where I live  to calculate sales tax right before the purchase..

If it's auto pay, I don't know why they couldn't show it after..  if it's something you are about to purchacse that gets taxed, I don't know why they couldn't have a calculator for right before the purchase.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

LL/Tilea knows what they charged you for sales tax at the time of the sale. And they know this in US Dollars. There is no reason why the transaction to say, Buy Lindens, should not show what you paid in sales tax, somewhere in your online account records.

Every other internet business shows the sales tax just like they show shipping charges, when they list your order.  Why is LL not showing this?  It's not difficult in the least.

They aren't charging sales tax on Linden purchases.

They should, however, be able to show sales tax for premium membership and land use fees when checking out just as they show transaction fees when buying or selling Lindens.

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Most places online that I've ever bought anything will usually have me put in my state where I live  to calculate sales tax right before the purchase..

Same here.  They might say estimated tax on the one screen before actual checkout but it's always calculated before you push PAY.

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

That's not what the OP was asking for, as far as I can tell. I assume that they WILL show sales tax charged in a receipt. The OP was asking that it be shown under land cost. In order to do that the page displaying that number would need to access quite a bit of personal data about your RL location. When I lived in Missouri, not only did my city charge sales tax, it varied depending on what part of the city you lived in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That's not what the OP was asking for, as far as I can tell. I assume that they WILL show sales tax charged in a receipt.

Yes, I re read the announcement again and it says the tax after paying will be clearly shown.  

I also forgot they had not started taxing the purchase of Lindens yet.  A friend purchased $100 USD of Lindens on April 2, and I could not figure out where the sales tax was listed in her records she showed me.  Of course there was no tax collected.

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Yes, I re read the announcement again and it says the tax after paying will be clearly shown.  

I also forgot they had not started taxing the purchase of Lindens yet.  A friend purchased $100 USD of Lindens on April 2, and I could not figure out where the sales tax was listed in her records she showed me.  Of course there was no tax collected.

I'm gonna buy some lindens right now to just make sure.. I thought my states was supposed to be one that I get taxed in, but got lindens just the other day and didn't get taxed.. I might have been close enough  to before they started..

I'm going in!! \o/

hehehehe

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm gonna buy some lindens right now to just make sure.. I thought my states was supposed to be one that I get taxed in, but got lindens just the other day and didn't get taxed.. I might have been close enough  to before they started..

I'm going in!! \o/

hehehehe

Their blog post specifically says that they will NOT be collecting any sales tax on L$ purchases at this time -- the business will continue to cover those.

• Like 3

They aren't taxing Lindens yet. The blog mentions they'll announce when that starts happening in the future.

For the time being we will charge taxes only on recurring billings, such as premium subscriptions and land fees...

We will continue to absorb the taxes at point-of-sale purchases such as one-time L$ buys, first-time premium subscriptions, and name changes. At some point in the future we will need to begin passing those taxes on to you. We will make another announcement when those charges are phased in.

Edit: @LittleMe Jewellbeat me to it!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Their blog post specifically says that they will NOT be collecting any sales tax on L$ purchases at this time -- the business will continue to cover those.

Oh yea, you even told me that the other day..

Dammit, I just bought 10k lindens again because I forgot about that..  hehehe

OMG!! now Imma have tah go Shoppin agin!! \o/

• Haha 2

For me, the question isn't how much tax would be charged - I know what the local sales tax rate is in my town, so I can calculate what that amount would be for an annual premium subscription or for monthly land fees.  What I'm not sure about is whether I would be charged the sales tax or not, so until my annual premium comes due, I'll just budget for the premium amount plus my locale's sales tax.  It's not that hard to calculate and plan for that additional amount.  Perhaps I'll be surprised if it's not collected in my State, and then I'll have a few extra dollars for buying L$'s.  Either way, it isn't really a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

For me, the question isn't how much tax would be charged - I know what the local sales tax rate is in my town, so I can calculate what that amount would be for an annual premium subscription or for monthly land fees.  What I'm not sure about is whether I would be charged the sales tax or not, so until my annual premium comes due, I'll just budget for the premium amount plus my locale's sales tax.  It's not that hard to calculate and plan for that additional amount.  Perhaps I'll be surprised if it's not collected in my State, and then I'll have a few extra dollars for buying L$'s.  Either way, it isn't really a problem. 

That's what I did when I lived in a state that imposed sales taxes. Even so, they get us in other ways that are more costly to the consumers in the long run. No homestead exemptions on property in this state yet, other states I've lived in had exemptions plus sales taxes. 

One way or another they're going to keep that boot on our necks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.