Current Location:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

North America
Earth
Solar System
Orion Arm
Milky Way Galaxy
Local Group
Virgo Supercluster
Laniakea Supercluster
Universe

That sounds like the dialog at the end of Act 1 in Thornton Wilder's Our Town:

46eef85f32183d205898234f5431045f.png 

It's foreshadowing what Emily realizes by the end of the play, that the universe and human existence are much greater than most people appreciate:

“We all know that something is eternal. And it ain’t houses and it ain’t names, and it ain’t earth, and it ain’t even the stars . . . everybody knows in their bones that something is eternal, and that something has to do with human beings. All the greatest people ever lived have been telling us that for five thousand years and yet you’d be surprised how people are always losing hold of it. There’s something way down deep that’s eternal about every human being.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It's odd how scientists came up with exotic names like Virgo Supercluster or Tarantula Nebula...and then one said "Oh...just call it Local Group" xD

I remember hearing Tornadic activity the first time..

I said to myself, Did you just make that up Mr weather man?

At the time it just sounded like he made up the word so he didn't have to go into the details.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

“We all know that something is eternal. And it ain’t houses and it ain’t names, and it ain’t earth, and it ain’t even the stars . . . everybody knows in their bones that something is eternal, and that something has to do with human beings. All the greatest people ever lived have been telling us that for five thousand years and yet you’d be surprised how people are always losing hold of it. There’s something way down deep that’s eternal about every human being.”

I got my first inkling of the grandness of space and time while sitting on the beach, watching the world go about its business. Gazing at other worlds with my first telescope drove that grandness deep into my bones. But, those expanding experiences revealed something else. I don't see humans in general or me in particular as having much significance on the grandest scale. Still, there is a scale at which we and eventually I are significant.

That's pretty neat, and enough for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
19 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I got my first inkling of the grandness of space and time while sitting on the beach, watching the world go about its business. Gazing at other worlds with my first telescope drove that grandness deep into my bones. But, those expanding experiences revealed something else. I don't see humans in general or me in particular as having much significance on the grandest scale. Still, there is a scale at which we and eventually I are significant.

That's pretty neat, and enough for me.

I recall seeing some very questionable (to me) information in the late 80's about a single "photon" (proton?) IIRC, that is somehow part of us and sticks with us through our lives.  Don't recall if it supposedly came from part of our zygote.  Ennywho, that was supposebly eternal.  lulz.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I recall seeing some very questionable (to me) information in the late 80's about a single "photon" (proton?) IIRC, that is somehow part of us and sticks with us through our lives.  Don't recall if it supposedly came from part of our zygote.  Ennywho, that was supposebly eternal.  lulz.

Very questionable to me as well.

Photon
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/big-bang-light-reveals-lifetime-photon/

Proton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_decay

As an engineer, I find no practical use for the theory of eternity.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.