Linden Labs asking for Feedback

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That would only work if every item had a picture associated with it. I don't think there is any way for the server to figure out a picture of an object in your inventory.   Things are not created in other worlds the way they are created in SL.

I don't know about you, but when I buy something, I've already seen the picture of it!!! Or we could take our own picture as an option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

All Lab staff mandated to not only dress there own avatar, but change that look every once in a while. It is not acceptable for SL's decision makers to have a team member pull up their pants for them. If they can't figure out how SL works, we have no hope.

I suggested something like this years ago, but to a much greater extent. Everything that can be done in world should be done only in world by all employees. When they see what the problems are it will get better for everyone.

What a good ad that would make, we use our world for everything and you can too.

2 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I suggested something like this years ago, but to a much greater extent. Everything that can be done in world should be done only in world by all employees. When they see what the problems are it will get better for everyone.

What a good ad that would make, we use our world for everything and you can too.

Like a virtual office building where they're all sitting at virtual desks, in the virtual breakroom or on the virtual potty and then have to use planes, trains and automobiles to get places?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bagnu said:

LOL, I wish they would do away with that whole AR thing for pushing!!! I mean seriously...Are we in Kindergarten? We can be tied up, caged, beaten....But heaven forbid if were pushed!!!

6 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Um?    Well...      *whines*   "STOP CAMMING ME!"

Yells, "Mom! He looked at me!"

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That would only work if every item had a picture associated with it. I don't think there is any way for the server to figure out a picture of an object in your inventory.   Things are not created in other worlds the way they are created in SL.

Fair warning - I didn't think this entire thing through very well yet buuuut, what about adding a photo uploader to object properties windows where a creator could drag and drop the item's ad photo to it and it'll populate the inventory pic from that, but only if the item is placed inside a folder? Only required once to avoid them having to add one for every single item in the folder (so the outfit's folder image will auto-change to whatever photo was dropped into the HUD's properties for example - and if none, you can add your own?). There's already some empty space in the Item Properties window for it to go (of course I'm giving no thought whatsoever to what it would take to code all that in and keep it running without everything crashing and burning 🤣 - probably a lot). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Problem is that stuff in other worlds is standardized, whereas we get a mish-mash of stuff from lots of folks, all created differently.  LL would have to impose some tight standards on merchants and then someone would have to figure out how to deal with pre-existing content.

All that would be great, but I'm not sure there is a way with current content.

We can "yes but" our way into oblivion but you know as well as I do that it is entirely possible to do even if it means initially one has to put their own picture in but if the ability is there and LL starts requiring a picture in the folder, then Creators are likely to start doing so. It is after all of benefit to them too. Also most marketplace ads do have a picture associated with them so LL can surely make that image file linkable if it isn't already, like this as an example: SASHVEND.jpg?1630121706

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It was one of my first "projects" in Second Life, actually. We had talked about doing something like this in the SLLU Feminist Network (which is why it was specifically "for" women), and foolishly volunteered. As I was still reasonably new to SL myself, I was able to see the issues somewhat from a noob's perspective.

Serious question, Rolig: were I to redo this, would it work better as notecards with linked image (with an online version), which is what I did originally -- or as a HUD that covered part of the screen only, but had more accessible images for explanation?

Don't make it notecards. Most people in SL don't want to read a bunch of text. Newbies especially don't want to read a bunch of text, and instead skip past most of the helpful instructions at their starting point. Make it a YouTube video. This way people can see exactly what kinds of problems they might encounter (with your friends acting as the griefers) and exactly what to do about these issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It doesn't. Blocking is not really a remedy for stalking. In fact, as you have pointed out, it might actually make stalking easier. We have other (very imperfect) tools that work against stalkers, but they are mostly related to land permissions.

Blocking is about harassment and abuse.

I don't entirely disagree with this. But the problem is that "Adult" is used as a designation for a great many sims that actually have little or nothing do with sex. I go to "adult" sims all the time: none of them are about sex.

We need a much more granular or at least enforced rating system. Right now, many places are "adult" largely as a precautionary measure.

With respect, that's the perspective characteristic of someone for whom sex is the most important, or at least a very significant draw of SL.

There are a very great many of us who aren't here for that. I don't myself get the appeal of RPing or representing as a child here, but SL is fundamentally about having the power to be who you want to be -- and that should include being a child. Banning that option merely because there are lots of people who want to engage in sex here is unfair to them.

Sorry, Sandor: it probably sounds as though I'm picking on you. I'm not: these are interesting questions.

You never pick on anyone Scyll, so I didn't think that!!!

I wasn't actually thinking of a better way to deal with stalking. I didn't even realize that was a problem in SL. I can't even imagine how someone could stalk any of my AV's. And I wouldn't care if they did. I was referring to situations where I get upset at someone. I don't want to be aware of them inworld, and i don't want them to be aware of me. But since stalking appears to be problem,  then I wouldn't want anything that would make it easier.  I understand that some are very uncomfortable and can be frightened by this. 

I am totally against child AV's under any circumstances though. I personally do not believe they should exist in an environment geared to 18+.I don't believe they are going to be banned though, and I'm not going to campaign for that. It is simply my personal opinion.

And of course sex is a significant part of SL for me. More kink than straight up slex though. That's no secret LOL!!! I enjoy photography and building, but sexuality is rampant in all of what I do here. I do make friends I don't have sex with though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

@Arielle Popstar That is something I would also love to have, I do enjoy Firestorm's outfits, and find Wardrobe by CTS makes managing outfits easier - but it would so much nicer to have an icon as an option by each item.  To further improve it, an optional preview window to open and allow you to compare how different outfits look without having to try them on your avatar.  This would have the benefit of creating outfits, or comparing them with relative ease in a 3d setting, while quickly making adjustments.  Now, if we really want to push the limits, and get the creators all excited - such a window would allow us to get a look of items that are on sale.  The need for demos would not be needed, no more inventory space would be required to hold them and they would not even need to be unpacked.  Just a simple click of the button, a preview window pops up and you get to see what you are buying, how it looks on you, and can try other accessories to see if it makes the look you want.

One can always dream 💖

We would still need demos for mesh clothing. A picture is not going to show if your body will poke through or how the item will stretch when you move.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We would still need demos for mesh clothing. A picture is not going to show if your body will poke through or how the item will stretch when you move.

What I am thinking of is like a preview window in an MMORPG.  You would have a 3d view of your avatar that you can move with your cursor to view it at different angles.  With such a preview you could manually add your mesh avatar and save it as the default, and then add items to preview them on your character.  

With this setup, demos are no longer needed to preview the gear because it will be displayed automatically in the preview window.  Think of it as a mannequin of sorts in a separate window that you can dress up as you please, it is entirely 3d, and you can move it to see it from different vantage points.  If they really wanted to splurge, they would also let you preview animations, which would be great as then we would have a better idea if the animation works well in general, or even the outfit you want to use it with.

With additional work on the server side, scripts could be used in items that are for sale, or even be hard coded into the viewer and linked to from the marketplace to give you a preview of the item when you click on them.  Much like a SLURL works, but from the marketplace it would open the preview window from within the viewer.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Actually wouldn't need a demo to try it on, at least not one that has to be placed in your inventory. One creator store has pose stands where when one stands on it, the mesh clothing is added to your avatar body. Play around with it, try different alphas if needed etc and then jump off the pose stand and the mesh automatically comes off. Since that is possible it could or should also be possible to code a similar thing so that a click on the marketplace ad while in a "Shop Mode" ie extension of (Appearance) puts the mesh clothing on one's avatar to try out but without putting it into your inventory. Close that appearance mode and the mesh clothing comes off.

Here is a link to the store to see it in action http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife//67/149/96

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I don't know about you, but when I buy something, I've already seen the picture of it!!! Or we could take our own picture as an option.

Yes, but if the system is going to provide the pictures, then the system has to somehow get the pictures.  I would wager than most players do not take their own pictures of everything.  Some don't even want the merchant to include a picture - they consider it just extra inventory items.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

. . . and voila! You're half naked in the middle of a store.

Yeah, I've tried those. I don't like 'em much. I want something I can take home and experiment with.

Yes, that was why I was suggesting that the capability be included in at Viewers Appearance mode. Alternatively the demo could be included maybe in a pose stand one can take home though I prefer the viewer option activated by clicking a link in the MP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

You might really like wardrobe.  It has features that make managing your inventory so much easier, the downside however is that you have to use RLV in order for it to work.  I wear it as a HUD, and whenever I want to change outfits or experiment with different clothes, hair, etc, I click on it and it loads a website with all of the items I have configured it for.  It will link some of the pictures from marketplace, but I typically just take snapshots myself and upload them to their server.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

I'm not sure if there are others out there that perform the same job, and I am sorry for derailing the thread.  I just really like this item a lot.  It can be tricky to configure, but I think it is worth it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, but if the system is going to provide the pictures, then the system has to somehow get the pictures.  I would wager than most players do not take their own pictures of everything.  Some don't even want the merchant to include a picture - they consider it just extra inventory items.

I would say the merchant has to provide the pic, with the option of us replacing it with our own.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Alternatively the demo could be included maybe in a pose stand one can take home though I prefer the viewer option activated by clicking a link in the MP.

You can already take a demo home from an in-world store or from MP, so having a rezzer with a temp_attach option isn't really giving you a shopping option that you don't have already. It would be an interesting packaging gimmick, though, for those who don't want the inconvenience of having to add the demo item from inventory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

You might really like wardrobe.  It has features that make managing your inventory so much easier, the downside however is that you have to use RLV in order for it to work.  I wear it as a HUD, and whenever I want to change outfits or experiment with different clothes, hair, etc, I click on it and it loads a website with all of the items I have configured it for.  It will link some of the pictures from marketplace, but I typically just take snapshots myself and upload them to their server.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

I'm not sure if there are others out there that perform the same job, and I am sorry for derailing the thread.  I just really like this item a lot.  It can be tricky to configure, but I think it is worth it. 

I have CTS Wardrobe, but only as Sandor. It's expensive and requires proper RLV setup. It would be great to have a built in inventory with pics!!!!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes, that was why I was suggesting that the capability be included in at Viewers Appearance mode. Alternatively the demo could be included maybe in a pose stand one can take home though I prefer the viewer option activated by clicking a link in the MP.

I'm unclear why this is superior to simply taking home a demo?

Simple example: when I try on a new dress -- which is frequently with clubbing in mind -- I like to run the demo through a few dances to see if or how it "breaks" when subjected to dance moves. There are things I haven't bought simply because they looked good while standing still, but fell apart while dancing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I would wager than most players do not take their own pictures of everything.

Which can get pricey with the cost of uploading pics.

One of the advantages of the Wardrobe thingy is that you can add photos to it without uploading them in-world.

On the other hand, one of the disadvantages of it is that it's based off-platform, and generally I don't like or trust that kind of thing.

Also, setting it up is a MAJOR pain.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.