Jump to content

Linden Labs asking for Feedback


Bagnu
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I haven't received that email from them, but I'm curious what features people would like to see added.

I personally would like to see a block that prevents the other party from seeing us, not just us not seeing the person we blocked!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Ooooo!   That would be fun!    They can't see you, but then they bump you.    So you can AR them for pushing you.    *nods*   Yup.  I see the Sekret Plan!

LOL, I wish they would do away with that whole AR thing for pushing!!! I mean seriously...Are we in Kindergarten? We can be tied up, caged, beaten....But heaven forbid if were pushed!!!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

LOL, I wish they would do away with that whole AR thing for pushing!!! I mean seriously...Are we in Kindergarten? We can be tied up, caged, beaten....But heaven forbid if were pushed!!!

It really is funny when you put it that way.

Difference being what we consent to.

For newbies that don't know how to stop it, it can be quite frustrating.

 

Come to think of it -- LL really needs to provide new folks with info on how to protect themselves from the jerks that like to be mean to new folks.  That alone probably scares off quite a few.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Btw, it's Linden Lab, not Linden Labs.

LOL, I made a mistake!!! Like when people say "Daylight Savings Time" instead of Daylight Saving Time"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The residents who hold the key to the future are really those who didn't stick around after a short time in world.

Those of us who are sticking around take SL as it is. We may grumble and nit pick, but we stay. And some of us love it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bagnu said:

personally would like to see a block that prevents the other party from seeing us, not just us not seeing the person we blocked!!!

Unfortunately, as obviously beneficial as this might be, it would be a tool that would undoubtedly be used for harassment, griefing, and most especially stalking. I think the half-facetious "pushing" thing that some have mentioned would only be the tip of iceberg.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Come to think of it -- LL really needs to provide new folks with info on how to protect themselves from the jerks that like to be mean to new folks.  That alone probably scares off quite a few.

Years ago I produced a guide for noob women in SL that was (indeed, still is in a few places) available in-world, and that featured a very prominent section on this subject. I should probably update it, as it's now more than 12 years out of date.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It really is funny when you put it that way.

Difference being what we consent to.

For newbies that don't know how to stop it, it can be quite frustrating.

 

Come to think of it -- LL really needs to provide new folks with info on how to protect themselves from the jerks that like to be mean to new folks.  That alone probably scares off quite a few.

The worst thing that happened to me as a newbie, was someone selling me empty boxes from a fake store. They cheated me out of about $50 CAD. That was the only time I filed an AR. LL couldn't help. Other than that, I had a lot of people help me, and buy me things like the Maitreya Body and Lelutka head etc. I found most people very friendly.

I agree there should be something that new people could read on protecting themselves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Unfortunately, as obviously beneficial as this might be, it would be a tool that would undoubtedly be used for harassment, griefing, and most especially stalking. I think the half-facetious "pushing" thing that some have mentioned would only be the tip of iceberg.

Years ago I produced a guide for noob women in SL that was (indeed, still is in a few places) available in-world, and that featured a very prominent section on this subject. I should probably update it, as it's now more than 12 years out of date.

I'm thinking, that if we block someone, we can't see them, and they can't see us. I can't see how that could be useful for stalking, since both parties would be invisible to each other.

It's interesting how I was never griefed or harassed. I started as a female Escort, and BDSM. When I was approached I always asked for money. If they didn't want tp pay, they would leave me alone.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A socially acceptable standard mesh body made by LL, open source, with dev kits for blender and tight integration into the viewer. A true Avatar 2.

Overhaul the scripting system .. so it better fits with the skills new techy users already have.

Much bigger scripts (so we don't hammer the script engine with a dozen small scripts and all the overhead that entails when really, we just needed one script that was double the size).

More than 8 faces per mesh (as in LOTS MORE), so mesh body creators can ship a single mesh rather than dozens and dozens of meshes just so they can have a HUD with selectable alpha sections. This will make avatars a LOT faster.

Client side scripting for more responsive HUDs.

A no system is sacred attitude towards platform advancement. SL must move forward, if that means some 15 year old prim garbage stops working, good. 

A entire overhaul to the animation system, both in terms of how SL avatars are animated, but also in how animation files can be used and applied.

Physics ! .. What we have is hot garbage, something that's not hot garbage please!

Object occlusion that occludes .. or in simple terms, hey, lets not download and render stuff we can't see.

A volume object type that can apply certain properties to avatars contained by the volume. Rooms with there own windlight, rooms where chat doesn't escape, skys the limit.

I could go on all day ... 

 

All Lab staff mandated to not only dress there own avatar, but change that look every once in a while. It is not acceptable for SL's decision makers to have a team member pull up their pants for them. If they can't figure out how SL works, we have no hope.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I'm thinking, that if we block someone, we can't see them, and they can't see us. I can't see how that could be useful for stalking, since both parties would be invisible to each other.

It could still be quite easily gamed using map views and such. I'm not sure how radar works on blocked avatars either. Someone unaware that they are being stalked is unlikely to make use of other means to check for the presence of the stalker, whereas the stalker knows what they are doing.

I certainly agree that there are harms that could be avoided enabling oneself to be derendered by others, but consider some of the uses to which that might be put. Imagine a snapshot of someone in an adult region for instance unknowing standing beside a naked child avatar, for instance. Yes, the snap would have to be taken by someone else -- an alt perhaps -- but that kind of thing could be all too easily managed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few suggestions I have posted before:

1. A mobile client showing just your avatar or possibly including a small amount of the world.

2. An option for 30% larger avatars for premium accounts.

3. A simpler starter avatar in the same design as those being made for other virtual worlds.

4. A Nexus where everyone starts when they log in ever day.

5. A simple in-world mesh building set of tools to replace prims.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Years ago I produced a guide for noob women in SL that was (indeed, still is in a few places) available in-world, and that featured a very prominent section on this subject. I should probably update it, as it's now more than 12 years out of date.

That was yours?  Wow.  I handed that one to newbie women for a long time, and we put it in a gimme box in our region. It was really useful.  Thank you, belatedly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It could still be quite easily gamed using map views and such. I'm not sure how radar works on blocked avatars either. Someone unaware that they are being stalked is unlikely to make use of other means to check for the presence of the stalker, whereas the stalker knows what they are doing.

I certainly agree that there are harms that could be avoided enabling oneself to be derendered by others, but consider some of the uses to which that might be put. Imagine a snapshot of someone in an adult region for instance unknowing standing beside a naked child avatar, for instance. Yes, the snap would have to be taken by someone else -- an alt perhaps -- but that kind of thing could be all too easily managed.

How is our present block system superior? All I'm suggesting is a block on both ends, where the AV's would be aware of each other through grey anonymous figures. They just wouldn't know who the other person was (unless they had only blocked 1 person), or interact with them.

As it is, a blocked person could still change into a child AV.

 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

That was yours?  Wow.  I handed that one to newbie women for a long time, and we put it in a gimme box in our region. It was really useful.  Thank you, belatedly.

It was one of my first "projects" in Second Life, actually. We had talked about doing something like this in the SLLU Feminist Network (which is why it was specifically "for" women), and foolishly volunteered. As I was still reasonably new to SL myself, I was able to see the issues somewhat from a noob's perspective.

Serious question, Rolig: were I to redo this, would it work better as notecards with linked image (with an online version), which is what I did originally -- or as a HUD that covered part of the screen only, but had more accessible images for explanation?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

How is our present block system superior? All I'm suggesting is a block on both ends, where the AV's would be aware of each other through grey anonymous figures. They just wouldn't know who the other person was (unless they had only blocked 1 person), or interact with them.

As it is, a blocked person could still change into a child AV.

 

The difference being that I'm the one who has done the blocking; at best, the blocked person could take advantage of that. What they can't now do is initiate a process that renders them invisible to me.

In other words, they can only take advantage of my actions, not themselves proactively put the pieces in place to stalk me with premeditation.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And a way of preventing child AV's from rezzing in adult areas. i personally don't believe in child AV's in an online community meant for people over 18 to begin with.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

2. An option for 30% larger avatars for premium accounts.

Why larger?  For creatures like dragons and such?  I can't for the life of me figure out why a human avatar would need to be larger than the giants we already have.

 

18 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

A Nexus where everyone starts when they log in ever day.

Wouldn't help socialization, IMO.  Folks like me would just immediately hit their Home button to get out of that hell.  It would be worse that landing in one of the many Hubs that folks get dumped in when their login location is not available.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The difference being that I'm the one who has done the blocking; at best, the blocked person could take advantage of that. What they can't now do is initiate a process that renders them invisible to me.

In other words, they can only take advantage of my actions, not themselves proactively put the pieces in place to stalk me with premeditation.

 

 

OK, perhaps I don't understand the block process well them. From what I know, the blocked person can still see me fine if I block them. It's me who can't see them well. How does that protect me from being stalked by them?

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

And a way of preventing child AV's from rezzing in adult areas. i personally don't believe in child AV's in an online community meant for people over 18 to begin with.

They would first have to have a way of 100% knowing which avatars are child avatars.  Even if there was some sort of self-registration, there are people that us a child avatar only sometimes, and other times they'll use a different non-child shape/avatar on the same account.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Serious question, Rolig: were I to redo this, would it work better as notecards with linked image (with an online version), which is what I did originally -- or as a HUD that covered part of the screen only, but had more accessible images for explanation?

I'll just note that there are several pages of "how do I get this thing off my screen" threads based on a new innovation by LL. If you make a HUD, give it a very visible detach button 😉

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...