What warmed your heart/made you smile today? (In Second or Real Life)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In these rather gloomy January days, it can be a little difficult to find the pockets of joy, but still there must be moments that truly make each and every one of us smile. What has prompted me to start this thread is an item on UK daytime TV programme, This Morning, but I believe has made the news worldwide.  The residents of a nursing home have put together a calendar of residents recreating famous paintings.  I think it is very uplifting to see. The old lovelies must have had a lot of fun. (I've checked the link below is secure, and contains some of the pictures.)

I think these two pictures are my favourites.

favourite.jpg

favourite 2.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
Spacing was bizarre.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I've been quarantining for nearly two years, not leaving the house except for vaccinations and boosters. The isolation has made it clear to me that human beings are social animals - despite how much some of us would like to define ourselves as "lone wolves." 🙂 This same isolation has had a marked impact on my creativity, so I LOVE to see examples of other people being artistic and imaginative.

On a smaller note, I loved to see the happy expression on my wife's face when I told her that I had ordered some more of her favorite coffee from Hawai'i. 

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Vermeer - 1.jpg

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Vermeer - 2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

This news story 🙂

Utterly heartwarming. 

Was watching a programme on the BBC about missing persons when a drone was used to locate an elderly chap who had gone missing. He was stuck in some watery grassland. Without the use of a drone I hate to think what would have happened to him. (Didn't need to lure him out with sausages though - that was really a great idea with the dog.)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Utterly heartwarming. 

Was watching a programme on the BBC about missing persons when a drone was used to locate an elderly chap who had gone missing. He was stuck in some watery grassland. Without the use of a drone I hate to think what would have happened to him. (Didn't need to lure him out with sausages though - that was really a great idea with the dog.)

(Cracking up now imagining the man chasing after a sausage...xD)

Have you seen this? It looks amazing...glad we've got all these smart cookies looking out for us 🙂

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

My mother ❤️ received clearance from top surgeons, (one a beloved relative), to begin a series of critical
operations which will clear the path for her to, (hopefully), reach the age of 100 years.

Bright as a button and sharp as a tack, she has our permission to shuffle off after reaching the age of 100. 😊 
We still have far too much fun & love up our sleeves for her to depart any earlier. 🥰

Reap elsewhere cloaked one. 🖕 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I tried to think about it...and I have a lot of reason to smile in RL actually. 

So I will add my first smile of every day here.

My hubby and me have 3 kids in RL and before work and schools and kindergarten every morning our son and I have a cuddle meeting on the couch before everyone else wakes up x3 I don't know exactly when this started but it just developed like that back then when he was in kindergarten ... I bring a pillow and a cozy blanket and the hobbit brings as many plushies as he can transport lol ( about 27 suuuper important ones...out of like felt 200 in his bed) and we snuggle and talk about things that are going through our heads like silly happy things but also when he dreamed bad we talk about it. So between 4:30 am and 5:30 am it's only him and me cuddling. He's 10 now and I really thought we wouldn't still do this at this age lmao but here we are still snuggling on x3 and my day is filled with smiles from the very first hour each day, even if turns out not soo happy in the later hours this hour is always smiles.

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

My mother ❤️ received clearance from top surgeons, (one a beloved relative), to begin a series of critical
operations which will clear the path for her to, (hopefully), reach the age of 100 years.

Bright as a button and sharp as a tack, she has our permission to shuffle off after reaching the age of 100. 😊 
We still have far too much fun & love up our sleeves for her to depart any earlier. 🥰

Reap elsewhere cloaked one. 🖕 

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I tried to think about it...and I have a lot of reason to smile in RL actually. 

So I will add my first smile of every day here.

My hubby and me have 3 kids in RL and before work and schools and kindergarten every morning our son and I have a cuddle meeting on the couch before everyone else wakes up x3 I don't know exactly when this started but it just developed like that back then when he was in kindergarten ... I bring a pillow and a cozy blanket and the hobbit brings as many plushies as he can transport lol ( about 27 suuuper important ones...out of like felt 200 in his bed) and we snuggle and talk about things that are going through our heads like silly happy things but also when he dreamed bad we talk about it. So between 4:30 am and 5:30 am it's only him and me cuddling. He's 10 now and I really thought we wouldn't still do this at this age lmao but here we are still snuggling on x3 and my day is filled with smiles from the very first hour each day, even if turns out not soo happy in the later hours this hour is always smiles.

It's particularly lovely on a grim Monday morning to log in and find such positive posts. Thank you. 

Maryanne, with all the love of her family, and the care of those amazingly talented and caring surgeons, your mother is safe from the grim reaper for a long time yet.

Gwin, may you also receive such nice hugs from your son until you are more than a hundred. Life can be such a rushed affair, quality moments can be so hard to find. I find myself smiling about all the plushies too. 

Ι paid 4 months shared heating fees of my block of apartments which I owed.

Hope I translated right the word κοινόχρηστα (from time to time in winter the building administrator buys oil for central heating and the tenants pay for it depending on the square meters of their apartment).

central heating.jpg

Edited by examining
  • Like 3

1.   You're never too old to learn how to do something new.

2.   This reminded me so much of Torley Linden for some reason!  (And thoughts of him will always make me smile.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
Apologies to those outside of the UK as this video may not be allowed to you.

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sorry, nope.

image.thumb.png.3ad7c3eae3aedd3db2ee5942ec31eddb.png

Oh no need for you to be sorry, SIlent. It's just one of those things. Only for UK viewers then. Shame really. Not perhaps as heartwarming as lovely little old people in a nursing home making art, but just for the man in the melon helmet dancing with melon slices, well it warmed my stone of a heart anyway. 

I am, however, sorry for any disappointment this may have caused anyone, not to be able to see the video. 

Edited by Marigold Devin

I woke up in pain with a back spasm all along my spinal chord today where I couldn't even get out of bed on my own. I was born with congenital scoliosis among other conditions that cause the muscles and nerves along my spine to "act up". On days like this my hubby helps me without complaint. Always there. Always reassuring and loving. Even though he had to work this evening he made sure he made our afternoon tea and his lunch so we could eat together and make sure I was settled comfortably before he left for work. I'm the one who usually cooks our meals and makes his lunch. Especially on days he works because he does so much already to begin with. I enjoy doing these things. He never complains when I can't though and always takes care of me most lovingly. On days like this I really wish he could just stay home from work and hold me, but I understand he has to work. I'm so thankful for his unconditional love, patience and kindness. He is the most beautiful man I've ever known. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I woke up in pain with a back spasm all along my spinal chord today where I couldn't even get out of bed on my own. I was born with congenital scoliosis among other conditions that cause the muscles and nerves along my spine to "act up". On days like this my hubby helps me without complaint. Always there. Always reassuring and loving. Even though he had to work this evening he made sure he made our afternoon tea and his lunch so we could eat together and make sure I was settled comfortably before he left for work. I'm the one who usually cooks our meals and makes his lunch. Especially on days he works because he does so much already to begin with. I enjoy doing these things. He never complains when I can't though and always takes care of me most lovingly. On days like this I really wish he could just stay home from work and hold me, but I understand he has to work. I'm so thankful for his unconditional love, patience and kindness. He is the most beautiful man I've ever known. ❤️

It warms my heart to know that you have such a beautiful man in your life, and also that you have such a wonderful relationship based on mutual understanding and unconditional love. 

• Thanks 1

Today, what made me smile was something very simple. I had just told me SL Sister how I've never seen it snow, since I'm in a more tropical area of the world and she immediately went outside and took a picture for me lol. I thought it was really sweet and yes that simple act put a big smile on my face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

Today, what made me smile was something very simple. I had just told me SL Sister how I've never seen it snow, since I'm in a more tropical area of the world and she immediately went outside and took a picture for me lol. I thought it was really sweet and yes that simple act put a big smile on my face.

Enjoy.. its still white here.

• Thanks 2

I'm looking for a script that transforms a prim into a guest book.  I put already a guest book in my house in sl and now I need another one for my estate in open sim.

Which is difficult to locate.  Generally speaking I copy the sl scripts and use them alright in open sim. I mean I did so when first I landed in my open sim estate.  Remember, it was as anticipated a big flat land with nothing on it and I started building.  There is no viewer market place there and one must travel inworlds and search everywhere for anything he needs, either in local shops or in private houses where sometimes one can copy objects.

So I did not know where to buy or take a house and until I discovered it, I found a kitchen.  Whole room with facilities.  So I added a ceiling, floor and walls and then I needed an entrance.

I made the door and I needed the script for the door to open and shut.  I found alright the script here and made a transparent glass door that one could not guess it existed until he could put the little hand on it open and enter.  It was fun, an empty space a well equipped kitchen, where one could not enter unless he could guess to touch the invisible door.

So I am looking for a script to use in order to make myself a guest book.  This makes me happy.  If there is no such a thing I will travel around in open sim until to find what I need.  One might remind me that in the past gates existed that led from open sim to sl and the opposite.   Thus I could transport things in between.  But I believe it's an abandoned project.

guest book.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This story about an active elderly lady made me smile.  There are subtitles for people outside Yorkshire. :)  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-60174750

Thank you. Very heartwarming indeed.

(I didn't need any translation, I'm in Yorkshire, although it would take me an hour and a half to drive to Colden from where I live.)

It's hard to believe the lady is 81 years old. It goes to show age is just a number.  Her lifestyle choice has no doubt kept her going, working in such a remote but beautiful place, and having that contact with people every day. She is a lifeline, someone who everyone trusts, an absolute gem.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.