Are you afraid of the future?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

Do you think we will be able to build a better world or do you think we will destroy it?
Will we be able to colonize the solar system and then the galaxy?

Not sure about us, but that sounds like a pretty crappy future for the solar system and galaxy. We don't have a great record in that regard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not sure about us, but that sounds like a pretty crappy future for the solar system and galaxy. We don't have a great record in that regard.

The Andromeda Galaxy is the closest to us and is 2,538 million light years from Earth.
Our Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy are racing to meet at about 400,000 kilometers per hour and will collide in about 5 billion years. However when this happens the stars will not touch each other and probably nothing disastrous will happen.

• Like 1

If humanity can't figure out how to work together for the overall best interest of humanity on our world, then I don't think there is any reason to even think about colonizing the solar system or galaxy.   If we destroy our world, I think we would take those same types of behavior to where we were colonizing, and we would end up destroying those places as well. 

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

If humanity can't figure out how to work together for the overall best interest of humanity on our world, then I don't think there is any reason to even think about colonizing the solar system or galaxy.   If we destroy our world, I think we would take those same types of behavior to where we were colonizing, and we would end up destroying those places as well. 

But I think that if we manage to colonize other planets then it means that we have not destroyed ourselves and then maybe there will be some more hope. :)

8 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

As much as I'd love to believe we're heading towards the utopian future portrayed in the various iterations of Star Trek, etc. I think the reality is that what we will eventually accomplish will make life on the Outer Rim of the Firefly universe look like a picnic.

I suspect the closest we'll come to colonizing other planets in this solar system or any other in the foreseeable future will be to create small man-made habitable areas just large enough to house the workforce necessary to operate off-world mining colonies so that we can gut any reachable destination of its natural resources.  Chances are these workforces will be mostly comprised of people who have no other way of affording the ever increasing cost of living back home.

Of course as time goes on it's possible that these mining colonies will give rise to off-world communities but I doubt there'll be many people cruising around in fancy hover-cars or lounging around on holodecks.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Star Trek

But I think our future will be very similar to the one told in the Star Trek saga.
I also think we will do without money much sooner than we think is possible.
Think about how fast we are ditching the hard currency and replacing it with the electronic one at an astonishing speed.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

Think about how fast we are ditching the hard currency and replacing it with the electronic one at an astonishing speed.

It is still money. Seashells, pretty pebbles, animal skins, etc etc are all just a convenient medium of exchange to trade value for value.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

We are too destructive

This pessimism towards mankind has never convinced me. If we were truly such a destructive species we would still be in the cave age, we would not have been able to evolve. Think that along with the horrible things we have inflicted on each other there are also wonderful things we have done to help each other.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is still money. Seashells, pretty pebbles, animal skins, etc etc are all just a convenient medium of exchange to trade value for value.

But many years ago the average citizen had to work 14 hours a day for a pittance.
Maybe it will take another 500 years but I am convinced that we will evolve and money will become almost useless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

But many years ago the average citizen had to work 14 hours a day for a pittance.
Maybe it will take another 500 years but I am convinced that we will evolve and money will become almost useless.

I'm convinced they had to work 14 hours a day to pay the overlords at least half of that. 

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm convinced they had to work 14 hours a day to pay the overlords at least half of that. 

Many were not even paid, literally. And many, if they had an accident at work that made them disabled for life, ended their days in misery.
If we look back in history we can see the evolution we are conquering.

Regardless of what form it takes, currency is just a construct which was created to facilitate the accumulation of wealth and, since those with the most wealth are usually the ones in control, it's unlikely that they're going to abandon the concept of currency entirely since doing so would be detrimental to them personally.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Like 1

Mankind is moving in the wrong direction IMHO. People get more and more self centered and political there is a worldwide shift to the right.
The current generation is too much of "I want it all and I want it now". They expect that dad or mum will fix it all.
Climate change will change the world considerably within a few decades and not for the better if you ask me, but only few people really care at the moment, most people expect and count on others to do something about it.
The new Netflix releases seem more important to talk and worry about or the latest Tiktok trends.

But hey, as long as Russia doesn't invade the Ukraine and the current inflation doesn't keep up its pace too long, I should be fine.
The best years lay no doubt behind me. I have eaten most of my sandwiches by now for sure.
I don't mind though. Life starts to repeat itself and that is kind of boring at times.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I saw my first ever shooting star a couple of nights ago. It felt like magic married to doom as I realised my insignificant place in this game The Power That Is Bigger Than All of Us is playing. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It strikes me that historically new lands are constantly searched for to escape the authoritarianism of the old, so yes I think we will when the ability to travel permits, radiate out into the galaxy to escape the power hungry.

And then they will establish the same thing just as much. Just look at Earth's history. that behavior is baked into humans and you won't get rid of that too easily.

You could say that you would go at it alone, or with a small group of people, but it's also in your nature to reproduce, so your population will grow and you'll end up getting the same thing no matter how you twist it. :)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.